Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Jan-14-04 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12168, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to In response to 38
Jan-14-04 09:10 AM by Diceman19

the only reason i have not said ok about it yet is because i still think that you could put it in the dp and be fine with it. i understand all of the points making and will touch on a few below.

on this point:
<<<<<<2) It's much more complicated in the long run, since one day, as you say, when you mod the car, the probe will be then mounted in the runner. You'll have to weld the exhaust closed at that point I assume, adding another step to the process and making it less efficient by doing so. If you are running stock exhaust now, then that changes the story, but regardless, you'll run it in the runner eventually, so why not do it now? Chances are, when it's modded it'll run hotter when you test it than "stock" due to tuning isses, so it would make more sense to runner it now and DP it later by your logic (gauge only reads to 1600*, so it would be off the chart in the runner sometimes). You're not willing to run the risk of runnering it now cause it might break off and kill the stock turbo, but when you upgrade exhaust and turbo I assume, you'll be fine with it in the runner? I don't understand the logic. It's be more dangerous to spend 1500 for a turbo and then worry about it breaking off in the new turbo than the stock one.>>>>>>>

i planned to put it in the dp when stock, and then put it in the dp when i upgrade the exhaust. that would make my readings the same across the board. i re read this thread and see how it could have come across as me saying i was going to change it later down the road. if you read my "master plan" post, i didnt plan to move it to another location, just put it on a different downpipe.

i can see your point of wanting the gauge as accurate as possible so that you know when your pistons are about to melt, but it would not be a hastle(sp) of adding ~150 to the temp shown. i could take 1600-150 and that would show me the breaking point. then i just have to remember it. you say that you end up having more observation in the cockpit but really what is tuning. observation of current settings and looking for ways to improve the car. that is also what an egt gauge is for since it is not accurate no matter where placed.

i understand that you should back off the throttle when 1600 would be reached, but the actual gauge, not the probe, the gauge will be inacurate after 1550 or so. it is the same principal as trying to record download speeds and using the download speed testers. they say they are only good till you can d/l around 10mb a sec. then it is all a blur on how fast you are really d/ling files at. the gauge reading 1550 or whatever may actually be at 1560(just an example, im sure poor craftmanship or a bad batch could be more off, especially as they get older), just not reading it.

as far as the probe being in the dp so it wont break, yes, i could just go with the tre probe, but i want to use the one i have for a while. it wont hurt since i wont be doing any fuel mods till later on, a slower probe wont really hurt me, just hinder me later.(a lot later on i might add, thus why i am not worried)

i agree mounting the probe on the runner would be easier to access and monitor, but really, i am under the car so much, it wont matter to me much if i have to get under it to check it out. i can do it when i change my oil. i hope i have covered everything mentioned.

this is what i wanted to do in the first place, debate our reasons. lets keep this up, i want to see where it will lead,,,but only as long as it stays friendly. if i came off to anyone as rude or any other form of an unacceptable personality trait, i apologize. i would also like to accept the apology of eclipzGST, i am sure i have sounded like a dick in this thread as well. no hard feelings.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy

Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? [View all] , Diceman19, Jan-09-04 05:57 PM
  RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 06:55 AM, #1
RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:12 AM, #2
      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 09:16 AM, #3
           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 09:37 AM, #4
                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 11:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-10-04 12:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-10-04 01:17 PM, #7
                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:07 PM, #8
                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 07:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 07:21 AM, #10
                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-11-04 07:28 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 09:43 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 09:56 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 10:15 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 10:30 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 03:39 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-11-04 06:47 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:41 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 04:20 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 06:09 AM, #20
                                                                                                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, thedawg, Jan-12-04 07:11 AM, #21
                                                                                                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 11:28 AM, #22
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-12-04 12:00 PM, #23
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 01:17 PM, #24
                                                                                                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 02:00 PM, #25
                                                                                                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 02:20 PM, #26
                                                                                                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:42 PM, #27
                                                                                                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 03:52 PM, #28
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-12-04 09:20 PM, #29
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 03:08 AM, #30
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-13-04 04:01 AM, #31
                                                                                                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 04:53 AM, #32
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-13-04 07:33 AM, #33
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-13-04 07:53 AM, #34
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-13-04 09:31 AM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 03:23 AM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 08:08 AM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 08:24 AM, #38
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 09:07 AM #39
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 09:25 AM, #40
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #41
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #42
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:56 PM, #43
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-14-04 01:54 PM, #44
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 02:10 PM, #45
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 04:10 PM, #46
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 06:01 PM, #47
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 12:42 PM, #48
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 01:26 PM, #49
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 02:15 PM, #50
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 04:36 PM, #51
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 04:44 PM, #52
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-15-04 05:13 PM, #53

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129 Previous topic | Next topic