Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
HybriDSMJan-14-04 08:08 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12166, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to In response to 36
Jan-14-04 08:12 AM by HybriDSM

There are plenty of real answers in the thread, but I will reiterate them since they were apparently missed in whole the first time through:

1) Putting the EGT probe in the DP is much more complicated since, It isn't accurate, since you have to add ~150* to the reading you get from there. How do you always know for sure that 150* is the difference? You end up having to do math and more observation in the cockpit, when there are already too many things to look at in the first place.

2) It's much more complicated in the long run, since one day, as you say, when you mod the car, the probe will be then mounted in the runner. You'll have to weld the exhaust closed at that point I assume, adding another step to the process and making it less efficient by doing so. If you are running stock exhaust now, then that changes the story, but regardless, you'll run it in the runner eventually, so why not do it now? Chances are, when it's modded it'll run hotter when you test it than "stock" due to tuning isses, so it would make more sense to runner it now and DP it later by your logic (gauge only reads to 1600*, so it would be off the chart in the runner sometimes). You're not willing to run the risk of runnering it now cause it might break off and kill the stock turbo, but when you upgrade exhaust and turbo I assume, you'll be fine with it in the runner? I don't understand the logic. It's be more dangerous to spend 1500 for a turbo and then worry about it breaking off in the new turbo than the stock one.

3) The gauge doesn't read above 1600, but regardless of whether it's 1600* or 1900*, it's at a dangerous level and you should back off the throttle. It's the most immediate and accurate reading to have the probe in the #2 or #1 runner, so why short change the whole thing? Adding steps to muddle the reading makes no sense really. Isn't the purpose of the gauge to have the absolute best readings as fast as possible? Isn't that what you are trying to accomplish by having an EGT gauge?

4) If you are worried about the probe breaking off, that is a legitimate comcern, but it happens infrequently and most likely, if you go with a TRE probe, which you should do without question (the probe that comes with the autometer gauge is garbage), you'll probably end up replacing it long before it is in danger of breaking off. It has a life span of 20-50k miles before it burns out.

5) The runner mounted style is much easier to access and mount because there is alot more room there and you won't have to get under the car to deal with it/check it.

All of these points of a debate have been said already in the thread, but apparently it seemed that people were just saying "put it in the runner". All of the info was there but if you are set on the other direction then so be it. It was a debate, but you were the only person on the other side so it might have seemed otherwise.

Any qualms, queries or quandries?

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy

Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? [View all] , Diceman19, Jan-09-04 05:57 PM
  RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 06:55 AM, #1
RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:12 AM, #2
      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 09:16 AM, #3
           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 09:37 AM, #4
                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 11:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-10-04 12:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-10-04 01:17 PM, #7
                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:07 PM, #8
                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 07:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 07:21 AM, #10
                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-11-04 07:28 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 09:43 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 09:56 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 10:15 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 10:30 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 03:39 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-11-04 06:47 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:41 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 04:20 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 06:09 AM, #20
                                                                                                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, thedawg, Jan-12-04 07:11 AM, #21
                                                                                                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 11:28 AM, #22
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-12-04 12:00 PM, #23
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 01:17 PM, #24
                                                                                                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 02:00 PM, #25
                                                                                                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 02:20 PM, #26
                                                                                                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:42 PM, #27
                                                                                                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 03:52 PM, #28
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-12-04 09:20 PM, #29
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 03:08 AM, #30
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-13-04 04:01 AM, #31
                                                                                                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 04:53 AM, #32
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-13-04 07:33 AM, #33
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-13-04 07:53 AM, #34
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-13-04 09:31 AM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 03:23 AM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 08:08 AM #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 08:24 AM, #38
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 09:07 AM, #39
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 09:25 AM, #40
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #41
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #42
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:56 PM, #43
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-14-04 01:54 PM, #44
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 02:10 PM, #45
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 04:10 PM, #46
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 06:01 PM, #47
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 12:42 PM, #48
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 01:26 PM, #49
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 02:15 PM, #50
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 04:36 PM, #51
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 04:44 PM, #52
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-15-04 05:13 PM, #53

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129 Previous topic | Next topic