Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Jan-09-04 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12129, "Poll question: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?"

explanation not needed i assume.....

install to take place in one week.

Poll result (5 votes)
Runner #1 on mani (4 votes)Vote
1 in or so from 02 sensor on DP (0 votes)Vote
Other (explain below) (1 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 06:55 AM, #1
RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:12 AM, #2
      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 09:16 AM, #3
           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 09:37 AM, #4
                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 11:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-10-04 12:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-10-04 01:17 PM, #7
                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-10-04 07:07 PM, #8
                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-10-04 07:38 PM, #9
                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 07:21 AM, #10
                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-11-04 07:28 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 09:43 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 09:56 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 10:15 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Skillionaire, Jan-11-04 10:30 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-11-04 03:39 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-11-04 06:47 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:41 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 04:20 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 06:09 AM, #20
                                                                                                RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, thedawg, Jan-12-04 07:11 AM, #21
                                                                                                     RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 11:28 AM, #22
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-12-04 12:00 PM, #23
                                                                                                          RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 01:17 PM, #24
                                                                                                               RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-12-04 02:00 PM, #25
                                                                                                                    RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-04 02:20 PM, #26
                                                                                                                         RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-12-04 02:42 PM, #27
                                                                                                                              RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-12-04 03:52 PM, #28
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-12-04 09:20 PM, #29
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 03:08 AM, #30
                                                                                                                                   RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-13-04 04:01 AM, #31
                                                                                                                                        RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-13-04 04:53 AM, #32
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-13-04 07:33 AM, #33
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-13-04 07:53 AM, #34
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Vandy420a, Jan-13-04 09:31 AM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 03:23 AM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 08:08 AM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 08:24 AM, #38
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 09:07 AM, #39
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, HybriDSM, Jan-14-04 09:25 AM, #40
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #41
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-14-04 12:48 PM, #42
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, TeamJeff_99gs, Jan-14-04 12:56 PM, #43
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-14-04 01:54 PM, #44
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 02:10 PM, #45
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Diceman19, Jan-14-04 04:10 PM, #46
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-14-04 06:01 PM, #47
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 12:42 PM, #48
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 01:26 PM, #49
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 02:15 PM, #50
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-15-04 04:36 PM, #51
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Hult250R, Jan-15-04 04:44 PM, #52
                                                                                                                                             RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*, Remy, Jan-15-04 05:13 PM, #53

HybriDSMJan-10-04 06:55 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12130, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?"
In response to Reply # 0

teamrip.com has instuctions for mounting it.

It should be between 4 and 8 inches from the head in the #1 runnner. Since my probe was a bit long, I mounted it at an angle (/ not |) on the exhause manifold. There are detailed instructions at teamrip.com though.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Diceman19Jan-10-04 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12131, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jan-10-04 07:13 AM by Diceman19

the main reason that i ask is because since the gauge is only a 1600F gauge, it will be maxed out if i install it on the mani. it wont be accurate once it hits the 1550 mark or so anyways. autometer says so. plus, the autometer instructions say that on turbocharged vehicles, place the sensor within 1 inch from the 02 housing on the dp. i also have a lot of good reasons for putting it on the dp that i have gotten from tuners. just checking what my FAMILY thought.

HybriDSMJan-10-04 09:16 AM
2407 posts,
#12132, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe?"
In response to Reply # 2

With the probe mounted in the exhaust manifold, you'll want to know the exact second you hit anywhere close to 1600. Avg running temp is 1500-1550, so any higher than that is close to melting stuff, which I know about first hand. In the #1 or #2 runner gives you the best reading. Put it in one of those.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

Diceman19Jan-10-04 09:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12133, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 3

more questions. if i place the probe in the runner, how often should i check it to make sure it doesnt break off and run through the turbo? that is another reason why i am leaning towards the dp install. i have read on tuners that regardless of where the probe is, if you compensate for the location of the probe, you should see the same temps generically speaking. if they go up higher than normal, no matter where the probe is, you should check it out. i am also nervous about drilling into my manifold because i know they are suseptable(sp) to cracking. why would autometer say put the probe behind the turbo if that is not the best spot for it. they designed it, wouldnt they know?

my planned setup for spring, new 02 housing that dumps 02 to atmoshpere from WG, with new DP and 3" catback. if i were to install the probe after the turbo, the temp would not be affected by the WG letting gases through to the probe. what are your thoughts on that scenario?

sorry for asking so many questions. i have been reading on this for about 2 full days now. i dont want to just do what everyone else has done or says to do because then innovation is pretty much null. i am trying to make a good education based decision and i see many advantages of putting the probe in both locations as well as negatives. any extra feedback on the subject is appreciated.

Diceman19Jan-10-04 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12134, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 4

here is something i pulled from tuners

OK Here is my thought on manifold vs dp egt install.

I always install in the downpipe vs the exhaust manifold. Your basic Autometer EGT reads 1600 deg. When the probe is in your exhaust manifold you could get readings as high as that and not have to worry. If you listen to everybody and put it on the hottest cylinder then you will definately peg that needle.

Now what happens if something is wrong? Your EGT is pegged already so if your running 50deg hotter your not going to know. Well the needle will just move past 1600 right? Well yes and no. Talk to autometer about this one. They say that even approaching 1600 deg the gauge is not very accurate and definately past 1600 it is not. What may look like 50deg past 1600 ( or 1650deg) could very well be 1700 deg. But because you put your probe in the hottest spot you could find you'll never know.

What the acctual temperature is does not really matter. As long as your getting constent reading from the gauge is what matters. If you put it on your exhaust tip and it reads 200 deg all the time then fine. Just make sure you dont see 210deg cause that could mean problems. NOw obviously this is not ideal, but you get the idea.

What I always say to do is run it in the downpipe and always install your EGT on a car that is tuned perfectly so you know where it should sit on your car when it's properly running. If you want to know the difference between a manifold reading and behind the turbo I have generally found that you need to add 150deg to the reading if the probe is behind the turbo vs the manifold. Then your EGT will sit at ~1400 at WOT and if you run into a problem you have 200 deg of room left on the gauge to read it. It really doens't matter what the guage reads as long as it doesn't change when your tuning or driving around. If you get a different reading then you know there is a problem.

Those gauges are not even close to accurate so trying to put it on the hottest cyl for an accurate reading is nonsense, your only fooling yourself. Put it wherever you want but put it far enough away from the head that you have some type of room to go up on the guage so you can see if there is a problem. Having it pegged at 1600 deg under WOT becauese you put it 1 inch from the head doens't leave you a lot of guage left to see if there's a problem.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-10-04 12:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12135, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 5
Jan-10-04 12:04 PM by eclipzGST

you WILL melt stuff above 1600^.
You want it in the manifold in the hottest runner and want to know AS SOON as you hit 1600^. Temps above 1600^ will not matter cause you ideally don't want it above 1600^. If you see 1600^ temps in your DP than you're aleady fukked.
You can listen all you want to the people that sell or design them but you should REALLY listen to the people that USE them and know from experience what will thrash your motor.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Hult250RJan-10-04 01:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12136, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok this may be a dumb question but im watching this post because I was wondering the same thing. How hot should it run? cruising temp? WOT temp??

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

Diceman19Jan-10-04 07:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12137, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 7

Idle after warm-up: 1000
Normal constant speed (~3000 RPM): 1350
Danger: 1700+

these are some numbers i pulled off of some website i saw on tuners. those temps are for the probe being installed in the #1 runner i believe.

HybriDSMJan-10-04 07:38 PM
2407 posts,
#12138, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 8

teamrip.com has all the info.

http://www.teamrip.com/electronics/masc1thermocoupleinstall.htm

that has alot of info and the "parts accessories page" has the product info.

vfaq has the install info as well. vfaq.com-->gauges-->installing an egt gauge. Should be all good after that.

SkillionaireJan-11-04 07:21 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2002
198 posts,
#12139, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 9

The so called "danger temps" can be somewhat misleading. The TRE probe is a good investment because it reacts so quick but it shouldnt be your only tuning tool. For example: When i was having problems with phantom knock, i could leave a light and even at partial throttle, my EGTS would sometimes exceed 1600. Now was i in danger of blowing my motor? No. But the timing being pulled by thwe false knock was causing super hot exhaust gases/flames to be shot into the manifold. I wouldnt have known this was happening without a logger showing me the 43 counts of knock. Since the TRE probe reacts so quick, by watching it, you can see if there are any drastic jumps in tempature over a range of say 200-300 RPMs. Any rapid jump in temp, even from say 1300-1500 is a sure sign of knock. Even though you havent reached the "danger temp" its a good idea to get off throttle.

93 Talon Tsi FWD
Big 16g Powered!

R.I.P 96 Turbo GS

TeamJeff_99gsJan-11-04 07:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12140, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Skillionaire
The so called "danger temps" can be somewhat misleading. The TRE probe is a good investment because it reacts so quick but it shouldnt be your only tuning tool. For example: When i was having problems with phantom knock, i could leave a light and even at partial throttle, my EGTS would sometimes exceed 1600. Now was i in danger of blowing my motor? No. But the timing being pulled by thwe false knock was causing super hot exhaust gases/flames to be shot into the manifold. I wouldnt have known this was happening without a logger showing me the 43 counts of knock. Since the TRE probe reacts so quick, by watching it, you can see if there are any drastic jumps in tempature over a range of say 200-300 RPMs. Any rapid jump in temp, even from say 1300-1500 is a sure sign of knock. Even though you havent reached the "danger temp" its a good idea to get off throttle.

He speaks the truth. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Diceman19Jan-11-04 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12141, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 11
Jan-11-04 09:43 AM by Diceman19

so basically, i can mount my probe anywhere i want, as long as i monitor knocking and timing and then if i notice that the gauge is going up higher than it normally would, i would be in trouble. the probe is probly gonna go on the DP. i see too many disadvantages to putting it in the #1 runner and my car is absolute stock right now so i am not too worried about my base settings/readings being off. i will just have to redrill my new DP when i get it in spring.

EDIT: correct me if im wrong.

SkillionaireJan-11-04 09:56 AM
198 posts,
#12142, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 12

Dont put it in the Downpipe. #1 runner is just fine

93 Talon Tsi FWD
Big 16g Powered!

R.I.P 96 Turbo GS

Diceman19Jan-11-04 10:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12143, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 13

i guess nobody understands my point. i dont want my gauge maxed out all the time hence why i want to put it in the DP. if my gauge is stuck at 1550 cuz i am pushin it and then it goes to 1600, it may actually be 1650 cuz the needle will be pegged. what good is that?

SkillionaireJan-11-04 10:30 AM
198 posts,
#12144, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 14

Ok, what exactly is the temperature difference from manifold to downpipe? Are you just going to add some random number. I have a 0-1600 gauge and its definitely not pegged all the time. Usually, with a logger to help, i try to tune to hit 1600 just as its time to shift.

93 Talon Tsi FWD
Big 16g Powered!

R.I.P 96 Turbo GS

Diceman19Jan-11-04 03:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12145, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 15
Jan-11-04 03:49 PM by Diceman19

i believe that i read it is around 150 degrees difference between the DP and the manifold. regardless of the turbo cooling the exhaust, it will still be very hot.

here is my exact plan. my car is completely stock right now. i am going to monitor on the DP to get some base readings. mitsu would not make the car run dangerous temps when they offer a warranty, they dont want to be fixing blown engines from melting parts hence i wont have to worry about where i monitor them from, as long as they are constant. once i have my base readings for idle, WOT, and cruise. once i start modding and gain a need to tune, i will monitor the temps so that they stay near my base readings or slightly lower. i know running rich will make me run a little bit cooler, but only to a point. if i monitor the timing via a pocketlogger and watch my EGT's so that they resemble the base readings i got. opinions?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-11-04 06:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12146, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 16

:shrug I give up...

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

Diceman19Jan-12-04 02:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12147, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 17

that is not an opinion on my situation sir.

HybriDSMJan-12-04 04:20 AM
2407 posts,
#12148, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 18

Basically, what I think Tony means, and what I thinkas well is:

You are over complicating this by a long shot. By putting it in the DP you'll have to add numbers up on the fly to get your reading, and even if you are worried about the gauge pegging and reading only 1600 when its actually 1700+, it doesn't matter. If you are running 1600 at all you are near a danger area so you should have it tuned better anyway. All it seems like you are doing is adding an unnecessary step. Also, when you start modding it heavily it will be a HUGE pain in the butt to look at a few gauges and then for one of them have to add numbers on to it to make sure that reading is within safe specs. Or just buy a gauge that reads higher than 1600.

Looking from boost to EGT to knock to SAFC is tough. I melted a piston with Jeff in the car helping me monitor and neither of us saw the EGT's climb to danger levels. We were looking at other things. Imagine having just you in the car and then having to look at EGT, see where it is, then add a number to that to see if you're in spec. It just seems so overly complicated. You get the most meaningful and accurate readings in the exhaust manifold, so why do it anywhere but there. If you are worried about tapping and drilling it and it breaking off, have a shop do it for 10 bucks. Professionally done with no worries and you can check the probe every few months or so to see if its intact. It just unscrews like a normal bolt.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 06:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12149, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 19

^^ Matt also speaks the truth.

You are making this way too complicated. Mount it in the manifold. Trust us. Don't want to take our word for it? Call RRE and tell them you want to mount it in the downpipe and ask their opinion. After laughing at you, they will tell you to put it in the #1 or #2 runner of the manifold.

Tony, I share your frustration.

thedawgJan-12-04 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#12150, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
After laughing at you, they will tell you to put it in the #1 or #2 runner of the manifold.

Funny- they never seem to get past the first part with me

Anyways, I used one of those infrared thermometers right after boosting and found my #2 runner to be hottest, and knowing my CRAPPY VDO probe reads really low, mounted it in the #2 about 2" away from the head.

Diceman19Jan-12-04 11:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12151, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 21
Jan-12-04 11:29 AM by Diceman19

can you drill into a tubular manifold like this one?

Hult250RJan-12-04 12:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12152, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 22
Jan-12-04 12:01 PM by Hult250R

youd probably have to weld a bung on it, The tubing on it isnt thick enough to thread for the EGT probe. I do that all the time at work.

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 01:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12153, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by Diceman19
can you drill into a tubular manifold like this one?

You could probably request a bung be welded on by whoever is going to fab that thing.
Nice piece BTW. Who makes it?

HybriDSMJan-12-04 02:00 PM
2407 posts,
#12154, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 24

Where can one order a Tial Manifold like that?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-04 02:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12155, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Where can one order a Tial Manifold like that?

I guess? I didn't know TIAL made complete manifolds...

Diceman19Jan-12-04 02:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12156, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 26
Jan-12-04 02:43 PM by Diceman19

i found that on dsmparts.com. i was just hoping somehow that you guys would say it couldnt be done and the probe had to go into the DP. i was looking for a catch 22....

EDIT:i will never give up...

TeamJeff_99gsJan-12-04 03:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12157, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 27

Seriously, don't put it in the downpipe.

Vandy420aJan-12-04 09:20 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12158, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 28

question about EGT temps tho---someone said above that when it climbs rapidly its a sure sign of knock...but mine climb all the time when i'm on the throttle and its a rapid but steady climb..about as rapid, probably a little more, than my rpms....

how can you differentiate btwn normal climb and knock?

Vandy

P.S. i've also had many scenerios where EGT's climbed steadily and O2 was at .89 yet i wasn't gunning it at all and didnt' notice any knock...like around town very easy driving kinda thing....

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Jan-13-04 03:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12159, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 29

i believe you know you have knock when the timing gets pulled. i dont know if there is a dummy light in the dash for knock. you can get a pocketlogger or a knockbox to record it for you.

i think for now, i am going to put the probe in the dp. then later on when i upgrade my exhaust, i may put it in the #1 runner. i dont like the idea of it breaking off in my manifold though so maybe not. i think i am going to play it by ear.

HybriDSMJan-13-04 04:01 AM
2407 posts,
#12160, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 28

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
Seriously, don't put it in the downpipe.

Diceman: "I am going to put it in the DP."

I'm so confused. It seems like everyone gave one opinion that has a proven track record, and then the exact opposite thing is done. I just don't get it.

Guy1: I'm gonna get a Mutt Turbo

Everyone else: Don't get it, for reasons a,b,c....,z. Here are ten examples of why not to.

Guy1: I decided to go with the Mutt Turbo

Surreal.

Diceman19Jan-13-04 04:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12161, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 31

only because dsmtuners has given me reasonable doubt that the runner is the best place for it. they have a large following over there for the DP. believe me, they also have their following for the runner, but i think you could argue either way. i am not getting much of a debate here though, just the do this because we tell you to answers. i dont think many people have actually read my thoughts or inquiries or i would have some decent answers.

i am not mad at any of you, just curious as to why we cant get a real debate with theories and thoughts.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-13-04 07:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12162, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 32

Because there is NO debate.
It's not like your asking which is better coke or pepsi. It's like your asking us which is a better housepet, a dog or an elephant. And just because a few guys told you an elephant, you want us to argue WHY a dog is better? Face it, having it in the DP is pointless and defeats the purpose of even having it at all. You might as well mount it after the cat. At least that way if the probe breaks off, you can pull the piece out through the muffler.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-13-04 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12163, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 33

Originally posted by eclipzGST
You might as well mount it after the cat. At least that way if the probe breaks off, you can pull the piece out through the muffler.

HAHAHAHA! Awesome.

I'm done arguing here. Put it in the downpipe. It will do a lot of good there. Whatever.

Vandy420aJan-13-04 09:31 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#12164, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 33

Originally posted by eclipzGST
Because there is NO debate. It's not like your asking which is better coke or pepsi. It's like your asking us which is a better housepet, a dog or an elephant. And just because a few guys told you an elephant, you want us to argue WHY a dog is better? Face it, having it in the DP is pointless and defeats the purpose of even having it at all. You might as well mount it after the cat. At least that way if the probe breaks off, you can pull the piece out through the muffler.

HAHAHAHVBHAHAHHAHAHHAkaljhvs;;aohdv
Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Jan-14-04 03:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12165, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 35
Jan-14-04 03:31 AM by Diceman19

whats a cat and where does it go?

i am pretty much done with this thread. you analogy of elephant vs dog is rediculous. this situation is nothing like that. there are reasons you believe that the probe should go in the runner, there are reasons that i believe it would be better in the DP. if you actually read my posts and put some thought into an answer, you would see that my ideas are NOT stupid and that they do make sense. i dont understand why i havent recieved any real answers to my theory, just "put it in the runner". your egt gauge is not accurate, sorry to burst your bubble. im done here. diceman has left the building.

HybriDSMJan-14-04 08:08 AM
2407 posts,
#12166, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 36
Jan-14-04 08:12 AM by HybriDSM

There are plenty of real answers in the thread, but I will reiterate them since they were apparently missed in whole the first time through:

1) Putting the EGT probe in the DP is much more complicated since, It isn't accurate, since you have to add ~150* to the reading you get from there. How do you always know for sure that 150* is the difference? You end up having to do math and more observation in the cockpit, when there are already too many things to look at in the first place.

2) It's much more complicated in the long run, since one day, as you say, when you mod the car, the probe will be then mounted in the runner. You'll have to weld the exhaust closed at that point I assume, adding another step to the process and making it less efficient by doing so. If you are running stock exhaust now, then that changes the story, but regardless, you'll run it in the runner eventually, so why not do it now? Chances are, when it's modded it'll run hotter when you test it than "stock" due to tuning isses, so it would make more sense to runner it now and DP it later by your logic (gauge only reads to 1600*, so it would be off the chart in the runner sometimes). You're not willing to run the risk of runnering it now cause it might break off and kill the stock turbo, but when you upgrade exhaust and turbo I assume, you'll be fine with it in the runner? I don't understand the logic. It's be more dangerous to spend 1500 for a turbo and then worry about it breaking off in the new turbo than the stock one.

3) The gauge doesn't read above 1600, but regardless of whether it's 1600* or 1900*, it's at a dangerous level and you should back off the throttle. It's the most immediate and accurate reading to have the probe in the #2 or #1 runner, so why short change the whole thing? Adding steps to muddle the reading makes no sense really. Isn't the purpose of the gauge to have the absolute best readings as fast as possible? Isn't that what you are trying to accomplish by having an EGT gauge?

4) If you are worried about the probe breaking off, that is a legitimate comcern, but it happens infrequently and most likely, if you go with a TRE probe, which you should do without question (the probe that comes with the autometer gauge is garbage), you'll probably end up replacing it long before it is in danger of breaking off. It has a life span of 20-50k miles before it burns out.

5) The runner mounted style is much easier to access and mount because there is alot more room there and you won't have to get under the car to deal with it/check it.

All of these points of a debate have been said already in the thread, but apparently it seemed that people were just saying "put it in the runner". All of the info was there but if you are set on the other direction then so be it. It was a debate, but you were the only person on the other side so it might have seemed otherwise.

Any qualms, queries or quandries?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-14-04 08:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12167, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 37

yes, my analogy was SLIGHTLY exaggerated and I apologize for coming off like a dick.
You posted this thread wanting to know where and why and we all told you the same thing and gave reasons to back it up. You, on the other hand had an idea in your head that you for whatever reason didn't want to give up on and probably won't.
Point is, if you didn't want to hear the answer, why ask the question?...

Diceman19Jan-14-04 09:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12168, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 38
Jan-14-04 09:10 AM by Diceman19

the only reason i have not said ok about it yet is because i still think that you could put it in the dp and be fine with it. i understand all of the points making and will touch on a few below.

on this point:
<<<<<<2) It's much more complicated in the long run, since one day, as you say, when you mod the car, the probe will be then mounted in the runner. You'll have to weld the exhaust closed at that point I assume, adding another step to the process and making it less efficient by doing so. If you are running stock exhaust now, then that changes the story, but regardless, you'll run it in the runner eventually, so why not do it now? Chances are, when it's modded it'll run hotter when you test it than "stock" due to tuning isses, so it would make more sense to runner it now and DP it later by your logic (gauge only reads to 1600*, so it would be off the chart in the runner sometimes). You're not willing to run the risk of runnering it now cause it might break off and kill the stock turbo, but when you upgrade exhaust and turbo I assume, you'll be fine with it in the runner? I don't understand the logic. It's be more dangerous to spend 1500 for a turbo and then worry about it breaking off in the new turbo than the stock one.>>>>>>>

i planned to put it in the dp when stock, and then put it in the dp when i upgrade the exhaust. that would make my readings the same across the board. i re read this thread and see how it could have come across as me saying i was going to change it later down the road. if you read my "master plan" post, i didnt plan to move it to another location, just put it on a different downpipe.

i can see your point of wanting the gauge as accurate as possible so that you know when your pistons are about to melt, but it would not be a hastle(sp) of adding ~150 to the temp shown. i could take 1600-150 and that would show me the breaking point. then i just have to remember it. you say that you end up having more observation in the cockpit but really what is tuning. observation of current settings and looking for ways to improve the car. that is also what an egt gauge is for since it is not accurate no matter where placed.

i understand that you should back off the throttle when 1600 would be reached, but the actual gauge, not the probe, the gauge will be inacurate after 1550 or so. it is the same principal as trying to record download speeds and using the download speed testers. they say they are only good till you can d/l around 10mb a sec. then it is all a blur on how fast you are really d/ling files at. the gauge reading 1550 or whatever may actually be at 1560(just an example, im sure poor craftmanship or a bad batch could be more off, especially as they get older), just not reading it.

as far as the probe being in the dp so it wont break, yes, i could just go with the tre probe, but i want to use the one i have for a while. it wont hurt since i wont be doing any fuel mods till later on, a slower probe wont really hurt me, just hinder me later.(a lot later on i might add, thus why i am not worried)

i agree mounting the probe on the runner would be easier to access and monitor, but really, i am under the car so much, it wont matter to me much if i have to get under it to check it out. i can do it when i change my oil. i hope i have covered everything mentioned.

this is what i wanted to do in the first place, debate our reasons. lets keep this up, i want to see where it will lead,,,but only as long as it stays friendly. if i came off to anyone as rude or any other form of an unacceptable personality trait, i apologize. i would also like to accept the apology of eclipzGST, i am sure i have sounded like a dick in this thread as well. no hard feelings.

HybriDSMJan-14-04 09:25 AM
2407 posts,
#12169, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 39
Jan-14-04 09:30 AM by HybriDSM

It just seems like putting it in the DP is much more of a hassle than you think. You're at the stage where you haven't modded much yet, but in my opinion, you'll want it as simple as possible once you have alot going on. Tuning the car with several gauges, pocketlogger and an SAFC isn't easy, and I really think that once you get to the point where you want to get, you'll look back and wish you had made it as simple as possible. Getting under the car for a simple probe check won't be something you'll want to do when you think it could just be right there in front of you. Having to watch knock, EGT's and 02's simultaneously will become more of a disaster when you have to add values to your EGT's. What if you're tuning and you take bunch of runs and don't get 1400 in the DP every time? At some point simplicity is the goal as well as speed. The DP just seems so much more complicated than it has to be for such a small item.

I can't think of many good specific analogies, but for the most part, the simpler the better. Down the road, I just think you'll kick yourself for making it such a hassle. That's what it comes down to more than anything. It obviously works, but why not get it completely accurate once.

Edit: Also, if the gauge is inaccurate after 1550, common sense says that once you reach 1550 and exceed it, it's close enough to danger areas that you'll wanna tune more. I know it's splitting hairs either way, but for all intents and purposes, it's accurate to 1600. it gets to 1550 and climbs more, there for its basically 1600 to an extent. with 02's, knock counts and other gauges it should be obvious if you're in tune at that point anyway. Also where did you read that the Autometer gauge is inaccurate after 1550? I haven't come across that before. If need be, I'll find another gauge that is accurate to a higher temp, if it proves to really be an issue with my Ultra-Lite.

TeamJeff_99gsJan-14-04 12:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12170, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 40
Jan-14-04 12:52 PM by Jeff_99gs

Jesus Christ. This thread is getting really stupid.

You want some real advice? CALL Road Race Engineering. CALL Buschur Racing. Call Forced Performance. Call Shep Racing. CALL Mach V. Call Pruven Performance. Call Altered Atmosphere. CALL Extreme Motorsports. Don't take our word for it.

There are TONS of accurate and good suggestions in this thread.

Matt (Hybrid) just outlined them all. Tony was 100% correct too. The only BS in this entire thread is the idea of mounting the probe in the downpipe in the first place.

*One more thing. If you get the Autometer probe, it just bends as it gets older. My old roommate took his autometer probe out after a year and a half and it was just slightly bent. The metal itself was in really good shape. He runs his temps at 1600 all the time while blasting 11 second quarter miles through an FP Green.

He replaced that probe (again, over a year later), with a TRE probe. That thing is so tiny, that by the time it is ready to break off and fly into the turbo there is barely any metal left anyway. It wouldn't be enough to cause any damage. (But of course that wouldn't happen, because you would be changing the probe once a year anyway, right?)

Just take the advice man. We know what we are talking about.

Hult250RJan-14-04 12:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12171, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"

If the probe is mounted in the runner what is the normal readings for the temp? Whats an unsafe temp??

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

TeamJeff_99gsJan-14-04 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12172, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 42

Originally posted by Hult250R
If the probe is mounted in the runner what is the normal readings for the temp? Whats an unsafe temp??

1500-1550 is normal for highway cruising. WOT temps should be near 1600 if perfectly tuned. Most people will be lower because they do not go into that level of tuning. Anything over 1600 is getting too hot. (It really depends on a lot more situations than that, but most of the information has already been shared in this thread.) (See Skillionaire's posts)

RemyJan-14-04 01:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#12173, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 43

Another vote for the manifold and NOT the downpipe.

MetalJimbo: Don't matter how ugly you are - all the girls love you in the titty bar

Member # 333

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-14-04 02:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12174, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 44

I think this has been the longest thread in this forum's history.
So, did I miss anything? How far exactly from the 02 housing should I mount my probe?

Diceman19Jan-14-04 04:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#12175, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"

Originally posted by HybriDSM
It just seems like putting it in the DP is much more of a hassle than you think. You're at the stage where you haven't modded much yet, but in my opinion, you'll want it as simple as possible once you have alot going on. Tuning the car with several gauges, pocketlogger and an SAFC isn't easy, and I really think that once you get to the point where you want to get, you'll look back and wish you had made it as simple as possible. Getting under the car for a simple probe check won't be something you'll want to do when you think it could just be right there in front of you. Having to watch knock, EGT's and 02's simultaneously will become more of a disaster when you have to add values to your EGT's. What if you're tuning and you take bunch of runs and don't get 1400 in the DP every time? At some point simplicity is the goal as well as speed. The DP just seems so much more complicated than it has to be for such a small item. I can't think of many good specific analogies, but for the most part, the simpler the better. Down the road, I just think you'll kick yourself for making it such a hassle. That's what it comes down to more than anything. It obviously works, but why not get it completely accurate once. Edit: Also, if the gauge is inaccurate after 1550, common sense says that once you reach 1550 and exceed it, it's close enough to danger areas that you'll wanna tune more. I know it's splitting hairs either way, but for all intents and purposes, it's accurate to 1600. it gets to 1550 and climbs more, there for its basically 1600 to an extent. with 02's, knock counts and other gauges it should be obvious if you're in tune at that point anyway. Also where did you read that the Autometer gauge is inaccurate after 1550? I haven't come across that before. If need be, I'll find another gauge that is accurate to a higher temp, if it proves to really be an issue with my Ultra-Lite.

i read on dsmtuners that the gauge was innacurate after around 1550, wether or not it is true is another question. numerous people have said that they believe their gauge was off after that point. personally, i would love the greddy unit but i believe that you can only get it in 60 MM which wont fit in my a pillar pod.(it has the higher temp reading vs the autometer 1600F)

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-14-04 06:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12176, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 46

Originally posted by Diceman19
i read on dsmtuners that the gauge was innacurate after around 1550, wether or not it is true is another question. numerous people have said that they believe their gauge was off after that point. personally, i would love the greddy unit but i believe that you can only get it in 60 MM which wont fit in my a pillar pod.(it has the higher temp reading vs the autometer 1600F)

You'd only have to trim the pod a little to make the 60mm fit...

Hult250RJan-15-04 12:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12177, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 47

Ok call me a dumbass but I got a question. Would putting the probe In the 02 housing be like putting it in the downpipe??
Just curious...

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-15-04 01:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12178, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 48

I was being a wise ass. I said further FROM the 02 housing meaning DP.
Jeff, can you lock this already. LOL.

Hult250RJan-15-04 02:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12179, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 49

no, seriously, Is the 02 housing like putting it in the DP?

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-15-04 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#12180, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 50

lets just say it shouldn't go ANYWHERE other than the MANIFOLD.

Hult250RJan-15-04 04:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#12181, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 51

OK works for me!

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque

RemyJan-15-04 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#12182, "RE: Where should I/did you mount the EGT probe? *LONG*"
In response to Reply # 52

Longest 4g63 post ever.

MetalJimbo: Don't matter how ugly you are - all the girls love you in the titty bar

Member # 333

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12129 Previous topic | Next topic