Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #440
View in linear mode

Subject: "running rich" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TDec-28-00 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#451, "running rich"
In response to In response to 10

Well, it seems pretty obvious that you're running rich as long as you tapped your EGT guage in your exhaust manifold.

I might take a guess and think they installed your FMU in the wrong spot. I'm not sure though. Also, with the popping noise, that's not pre-detonation. You will in fact, here a loud pinging or knocking that's unmistakeable by its sound from what I head. Sort of like marbles in a tin can or machine gun fire or something.

You may be overloading on your O2 sensors right now as well with the overly rich conditions. (this is not good on your O2 sensors and is probably causing the "weird" readouts on your a/f meter) This may be causing a lot of carbon-buildup in your Cat to boot. (This will certainly lessen it's life span) These things certainly aren't "harmful" to your engine, but there probably will be a need to get some combustion cleaner and get rid of all the built up carbon that will result.

Try and lean things out, if possible. Closely examine your fuel system. Your fuel pump sounds like ti's operational as well as your FMU. You may just have things out of order or something. Your car WILL FEEL SLUGGISH under rich conditions. I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't blowing out some small puffs of dark smoke out your tailpipe b/c of the rich conditions. Furthermore, you probably are having a dirtier than normal tailpipe as well as carbon-covered spark plugs. (these things are all normal for overly rich conditions)

You will be much happier once you have resolved your overly rich conditions. Remember, although is rich is safe, rich is also slow and sluggish. It's hard to pinpoint what exactly is causing your fuel system to be overly rich without an ability to adjust your FPR. Since this is a system that we install, there are so many scenarios of a wrongly installed fuel system, that many of us can't relate to. Be thankful that you're not on the other end of problems and have an overly lean system in which your pistons could be cracking!

Things to consider:
1. FMU placement, error in installation
2. TPS sensor
3. faulty stock FPR
4. ecu problem

I would eliminate any problem with the vacuum lines though with your very solid 20 hg/in. reading under idle and rich conditions.

Good luck. Remember, your car was running fine before the install, so it's very probable that your installation is causing the problems.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Finished turbo install... [View all] , Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-26-00 07:43 PM
  RE: Finished turbo install..., dsm1, Dec-27-00 02:49 AM, #1
RE: Finished turbo install..., SaberKhan, Dec-27-00 04:39 AM, #2
Driving results..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-27-00 05:25 AM, #3
Also.., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-27-00 07:11 AM, #4
      RE: Also.., SaberKhan, Dec-27-00 09:51 AM, #5
      advice, TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-27-00 10:37 AM, #6
           RE: advice, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-27-00 02:05 PM, #7
                RE: advice, TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-27-00 03:07 PM, #8
                     some other things to look at, TeamWyatt, Dec-27-00 03:54 PM, #9
                          EGT temp reading.., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-00 05:03 AM, #10
                               running rich, TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-28-00 07:15 AM #11
                                    RE: running rich, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-00 07:45 AM, #12
                                         RE: running rich, TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-28-00 08:06 AM, #13
                                              here's my fuel setup..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-00 09:10 AM, #14
                                                   =-), TeamJasonESi_T, Dec-28-00 09:44 AM, #15
                                                        And i spent soooo long making that!! =-(, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-28-00 11:32 AM, #16

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #440 Previous topic | Next topic