Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #72657
View in threaded mode

Subject: "custom vertical door hinges" This topic is locked.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Previous topic | Next topic
eclipse982nrRSTMay-25-04 04:22 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72657, "custom vertical door hinges"

Alright heres the deal ... first off, I would NEVER be doing this to my own car because I dont really like lambo doors on the eclipse. Anyhow, my buddy with a GSX wants to do some lambos and doesnt wanna pay for $1,000 for them which is obvious because nobody wants to pay that much money for 2 hinges and $50 gas shocks from a VW Jetta's trunk. My question is, does anyone or has anyone built these hinges themselves and how do you do it. This is was we were going to do but i dunno if its gonna work ... fab up some brackets for the fender and bolt it down, make a piece that comes off that bracket and bolts on to a bracket bolted down on the door and then connect the two brackets with a somewhat loose bolt so it will push up. Now our prob is that if we did it this way, the door wont open out a lil bit first to push it up. We will use the gas shocks from a VW Jetta's trunk to hold up the door since they are small and pretty damn sturdy. Any idea's of how to make these or anything.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15
a_miller_76May-25-04 04:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#72658, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 0

This has been discussed before. Someone was making them then had some tragedy happen in their life. It's not something you can do easily for yourself.

eclipse982nrRSTMay-25-04 04:49 AM
6314 posts,
#72659, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 1

ya i know its been discussed before and i read about 3 thousand different posts on it but no one has picstures or anything. there are some people out there that have this done but wont take up close pictures of the hinges or anything, wtf!!!! somebody out there has to know how to make these. we are going to try some stuff and see what we can do ... we are trying on a totalled eclipse in his backyard to experience on. anybody have any info or pics or anything!?

jamezMay-25-04 06:58 PM
Member since May 13th 2004
63 posts,
#72694, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 2

$1000 is complete rip off ... anyone who pays that is an IDIOT.

but anyway if your successful at making them PLEASE DOCUMENT all steps involved and take LOTS of pictures.

i will use them on the "install guides" of my eclipse site and give you credit.... plus i wouldnt mind doing them myself

Add Pictures of your car!
http://www.team-2g.com/forum/album.php

Complete Body Kit List :
http://www.team-2g.com/parts/front-bumpers.php

HELP NEEDED:
1. Installations with Pictures
2. Eclipse footage/video

webmaster@team-2g.com

eclipse982nrRSTMay-26-04 03:27 AM
6314 posts,
#72707, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 3

heres the deal .... we worked 7 hours all night fabricating shit and heres what we have done ... we have the hinges made and welded and they actually work so far! the only problem we are having is when closing the door, it wont line up with the hinge to completely shut which is casuing leaking from water. we are going to work on it more later tonight and hopefully we can have something made up by monday of next week. our other prob is that the VW jetta trunk shocks we have wont support the door in the air for more than like 2 minutes and then it slowly starts to make its way down. the good thing is that we made these hinges so you dont have to roll your fenders or anything ... bolt it on and extend your wiring harness and go lambo style! i will have updates soon. i will take pics and everythiny once complete ... we are planning on selling these hinges and some gas shocks when we find some that will work on ebay or custom orders for cheap! maybe a price range of $200-300 just because the shocks aren't really cheap and neither is the materials needed to make the hinges. let me know if anyone is intrested and maybe by monday we will FINALLY have a TRUE BOLT ON lambo door kit for us!

mcgyvrMay-26-04 03:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#72709, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 4

just so you know (I did the lambo hinges,etc.. already) had it on my car done, took it off to make production parts and got too busy, but the shock you need needs to have a force of 600-700 pounds of pressure
trust me, try mcmaster.com look for shocks, its about 70 bucks a piece. Ive got the part number at home, I ll search for it.

these doors are HEAVY.
oh and my tip to help you figure out the hinge design is (swivel bearings)

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

eclipse982nrRSTMay-26-04 03:48 AM
6314 posts,
#72710, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 5

could you email me some pictures of your hinges so we can maybe figure out why our hinges are letting the door shut properly. thanks.

optikalMay-26-04 04:21 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1062 posts,
#72712, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 6

lol, everyone is suddenly a fabricator. yea, so you made some half assed hinges. well they leak water and don't keep the doors up. wow, that's nice.

maybe that is because the company that makes these NICE hinges actually spent some time doing research and development, compared to 7 hours of "fabricating" and used QUALITY parts and not shocks off of a VW jetta which obviously didn't work for you. Good job, let's call you Jesse James from now on considering your beautiful fabrication and welding skills.

Oh, and Jamez. I paid over 1000 for lambo door hinges from the original company. However, that does not make me an idiot. But then again, I don't consider myself a fabricator either, which is why I didn't just make my own from some shocks off a 89 Civic Hatchback or something.

-eric stratton
Kustom Auto Koatings
North East, Md
443-528-8007
http://www.kustomautokoatings.com

ToTaLEkLyPz99May-26-04 05:36 AM
Member since Jan 30th 2002
1282 posts,
#72715, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 7

WELL I GUESS IM AN IDIOT!!! i payed 1400 for hinges from decah that are made so well they cant be copied and they dont leak and they line up with the hinge..when your door falls off you will look like the IDIOT!! U GET WHAT U PAY FOR!!

eclipse982nrRSTMay-26-04 05:55 AM
6314 posts,
#72716, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 8

you guys are dumbasses aparantley. this is the same metal that decah uses to make their hinges that we are experiencing with. tell you what, you take some metal and go out to an eclipse and try and make them without ever seeing and set and let me know how you do. i am not calling myself a fabricator at all either numb nuts. the doors dont line up because our brackets are a bit too long and is causing the door to come real close to quarter panel. it will get fixed dont worry about that. and my doors wont be falling off since we are using a wrecked eclipse to experiment on! you guys should listen more before you run your mouths. why do people have to come on to this site and talk shit??????? this is supposed to be a site to HELP others and share info. alot of people dont have the money to spend on this stuff thats why i am trying to make some to help out people morons! also again, ya decah took alot of time into getting their hinges right, i spent a total of 7 hours so far, do u think they are gonna be exact, im sure if i spend the time that decah has, i will get it for sure. actually, the hinges will be done by monday and i post a shitload of pics so you guys and eat your hearts out of how you spent 4 times as much as i did my hinges that do the same thing. we just ordered 6 sets of shocks from decah as well 10 minutes ago so we will have the same shocks as you fucks do. now, lets keep this a NICE, respected forum please. be nice to everyone instead of shoving rods in your asses.

a_miller_76May-26-04 06:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#72718, "RE: custom vertical door hinges"
In response to Reply # 9

I don't wanna start an argument here, but you can't figure out how to get the vinyl wrap off your door panels, I suggest you not get too crazy with lambo door hinges that can be a danger to your safety.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #72657 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Previous topic | Next topic