Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28824
View in linear mode

Subject: "Huge Problem With Springs and Tires" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 11:09 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28824, "Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"

Ok, so my girlfriend calls me today leaves me voicemail about how I am so done dumping money into my car.. Of course I laugh as soon as I hear this. She tells me how her dad put the new tires on my car and its rubbing. Now how is this possible? Prokits and tires are 225/40/18. Now I have heard of people running setups identical to mine and they never had a problem and worst case scenario was people running Sportlines and they just rolled there fenders. So whats the deal. Anyone ever hear of a problem like this with prokits? Could this be because it is out of camber?

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-02-06 11:52 AM, #1
RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, .bs0d, Mar-02-06 12:38 PM, #2
      RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-02-06 12:47 PM, #3
           RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, .bs0d, Mar-02-06 01:12 PM, #4
                RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-02-06 03:38 PM, #5
                     RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, 98starGS, Mar-02-06 04:28 PM, #6
                          RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-02-06 04:36 PM, #7
                               RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-02-06 05:26 PM, #8
                                    RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, .bs0d, Mar-03-06 01:52 AM, #9
                                         RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 02:31 AM, #10
                                              RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 02:55 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-03-06 04:42 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 05:53 AM, #13
                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, .bs0d, Mar-03-06 06:02 AM, #14
                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-03-06 07:09 AM, #17
                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-03-06 06:15 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 06:59 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, .bs0d, Mar-03-06 07:09 AM, #18
                                                                       RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 07:10 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-03-06 07:11 AM, #20
                                                                            RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-03-06 09:11 AM, #21
                                                                                 RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, pr0, Mar-08-06 07:48 PM, #22
                                                                                      RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 03:57 AM, #23
                                                                                           RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 04:08 AM, #24
                                                                                                RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-09-06 05:07 AM, #25
                                                                                                     RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 05:29 AM, #26
                                                                                                          RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-09-06 06:24 AM, #27
                                                                                                               RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 06:38 AM, #28
                                                                                                                    RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-09-06 06:44 AM, #29
                                                                                                                         RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, ez, Mar-09-06 09:47 AM, #30
                                                                                                                              RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Erik, Mar-09-06 09:57 AM, #31
                                                                                                                                   RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 11:42 AM, #32
                                                                                                                                        RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, djtrickee, Mar-09-06 02:16 PM, #33
                                                                                                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-09-06 02:25 PM, #34
                                                                                                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, Jem09, Mar-12-06 01:12 PM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, jdpilot, Mar-24-06 03:02 PM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires, EclipseTenzoR, Mar-24-06 03:18 PM, #37

EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 11:52 AM
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28825, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-02-06 12:02 PM by EclipseTenzoR

Bump of urgency, because the stock springs may go back on soon. Girlfriend does'nt have much time to mess with this before she brings it down.

Edit: Weird question but also could my dampening settings control compression of my springs? I never thought so before but my girlfriend turned the dial once before when the car was sagging and it lifted up so I don't know.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

.bs0dMar-02-06 12:38 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#28826, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-02-06 01:07 PM by .bs0d

I am having the same problem, sort of. Heres my case:

_Brand_New_Parts: all new tires (Nexens: 225-45-ZR17) Prokits, DropZone shocks, Ingalls Camber kit (front and back).

Also, i've replaced: upper balljoints + control arms, rack & pinion, passenger side wheel hub assembly and probably more im forgetting right now.

When i go sort of tight around a corner, or hit a medium size bump, you can hear it rub (the front driver side tire).

i had 2 friends with me the other day, And when I was going around corners, i heard the back tires rubbing too!

its weird, on the front tires, i can barely fit 2 finger in between the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. The rear driver side is a little higher than the front. But on the rear passenger side, i can fit 3 fingers... maybe i need to get the car on some level ground for sure and measure, but thats pretty weird.

i dont know if there is anyway to adust anything. My suspension parts are new, so i'd like to know whats up as well.

sorry: forgot to mention that just last week i went up and got alignment on the front and back

ErikMar-02-06 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28827, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 2

When you guys put your springs in, did you get the top coil seat onto the groove? I really don't think that would cause too much of a problem and you might see it in the ride height. Also, is the noise that you hear scrubbing from the rear? If your alignment is out, it will scrub and maybe not be rubbing against something. One last thing, is what is the offset of the wheels? Tenzo, since your offset is correct, then you have no probs. If her's are not, then the tire size may actually be the problem, granted that you don't want to buy another set of wheels.

.bs0dMar-02-06 01:12 PM
597 posts,
#28828, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-02-06 01:55 PM by .bs0d

should have mentioned it... because now look what happened after I went up town after typing that last message

the place where i bought my rims said i need 215 x 45 x 17 to fit correctly, but i already had these (225 x 45 x 17). Is it the size? i dont know what else it is, because i've replaced nearly every part of my suspension it seems

EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 03:38 PM
2386 posts,
#28830, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 4

Yea, I think the stock springs are going back on. The car is getting a complete overhaul, new axles, new tie bar the works I just want it running rite.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

98starGSMar-02-06 04:28 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
#28832, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 5

my rears were rubbing with sportlines and agx's i just took a cut off wheel and took that lip off the inner wheel well. i haven't had my fronts rub tho...

EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 04:36 PM
2386 posts,
#28834, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 6

whats the deal with offset on rims. How does that effect things

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-02-06 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28835, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 7

225/45/17 is not right. My sister and I run 215/45/17. That is also the closest diameter for the speedo. The offset and width of the wheel makes a huge difference if you have a rubbing prob. I think we use +38 offset. If it is different, then you should consider tire sizes. The width can play the same game. You may be be able to fit a wider tire on the rim, but it may not be right. I'd have to look up the ackerman angle to explain it. It's really been a long time since I've done any suspension work.

.bs0dMar-03-06 01:52 AM
597 posts,
#28836, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-03-06 02:46 AM by .bs0d

so i should go with 215/45/17, depending on the offset of my rims? wish I had known that before as well

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 02:31 AM
2386 posts,
#28837, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 9

Man, this pisses me off... What am I to do with these rims now? Anyone have gsx rims in jersey and want to trade plus give me cash, of course given that your car is not lowered I suppose this would work for you.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 02:55 AM
2386 posts,
#28838, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 10

And if someone can help give me some information on alternative springs, I would greatly appreciate it because I am really in a bind.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-03-06 04:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28839, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 11

I'd check first to see what the offset of the wheels are. Compare that measurement to your wheels. I'd be sure that is the problem before trying to trade a set of wheels that probably have the same offset. The offset number is pretty much a standard now since FWD cars are getting so popular. Check your springs for sag too. It's not that common, but it can happen.

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 05:53 AM
2386 posts,
#28840, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 12

From what i heard the rims are like a 47 offset. I still have no idea what offset has to do with anything. They are just 18" rims with a 225/40 tire. And they rub and need an extra inch of clearence.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

.bs0dMar-03-06 06:02 AM
597 posts,
#28841, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 13
Mar-03-06 06:03 AM by .bs0d

Erik, i found a website that stated my rims are a +40mm offset. what does this mean in my situation?

ErikMar-03-06 07:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28844, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 14

I think that you should be fine with a 215/45/17. Tenzo, I'd try this: take a wheel off of your's and swap it with hers. It won't take 10 mins. Then run the wheel back and forth to see if it is going to hit the fender. Since you know that your set-up is correct, you will know quick if it's a wheel problem or a suspension problem. I've ran pro kit with 215/45/17 and now I run H&R sports with the same tire and wheel.

ErikMar-03-06 06:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28842, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 13
Mar-03-06 06:56 AM by Erik

Offset is important b/c it essentially tells you how much tire you can fit in a certain space. It does alot of other things, but your prob is with tire fitment. If you could pretend that where the spindle bolts to wheel would be an invisible line parallel to the earth with zero camber. The offset of a wheel can be a positive or negative relation to where that invisible line runs. That's kinda a shitty way of explaining it, but I'll see if I can't find a site with a good pic explaining it. I use to cheat that offset to use a wider rear tire in some of our older muscle cars so that we wouldn't have to tub a rear end. Drift cars mess with offset to run wider tires but also run real cool set-ups to allow the camber work for them.

Edit: I was way off. Stock offset is 46mm.

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 06:59 AM
2386 posts,
#28843, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 15

My rims are like 40 offset. Also could improper strut and spring installation cause drop to be different. Like if I over torqued the nut at the top of the strut where the mounting plate is. like pulling that rod up to far through causing the whole assembly to compress more. Wish I could illistrate it but I cant. I hope someone understand what I mean though.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

.bs0dMar-03-06 07:09 AM
597 posts,
#28845, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 16

do i need new rims, or a smaller tire?

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 07:10 AM
2386 posts,
#28846, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 18

you need a smaller tire.. stop taking my post of track, lol

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-03-06 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28847, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 16

I can't see that being the problem. You can pull the strut only so tight to the top hat. The strut has little do with ride height.

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 09:11 AM
2386 posts,
#28848, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 20

It pisses me off that I am the only one having this problem on this setup with these tires, where as no one else has this problem at all with a 1.3" drop and 225/40 tires

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

pr0Mar-08-06 07:48 PM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#28891, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 21
Mar-08-06 07:52 PM by pr0

H&R makes a decent set of springs that lower the car exactly 1 inch. I have them although they haven't been installed yet since the weather has been crappy. It seems the H&R springs would suite you a lot better instead of the prokits. If you throw the stock springs back on the fender gap is big.

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 03:57 AM
2386 posts,
#28892, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 22

Yea I know the gap is going to suck, but o'well I'll deal with it for now. The car has to make a 900 mile trip and im sure my girlfriend and my friend would be much more comfortable with a stock ride anyway. Maybe in a few months I will buy the tein basics or some d2's

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 04:08 AM
2386 posts,
#28893, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 23

Well after doing some research via the search function here I have found out why my car sits so low actually and why it is rubbing. The KYB AGX shocks were never ment for the American Eclipse, they were designed for the japanese gallant and have 1" less travel than the stock struts. So a 1.5" drop is actually 2.5" which explains the problems I was having. After discovering this I am very dispappointd with KYB that they would release these struts for a vehicle it was not intended for.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-09-06 05:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28894, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 24
Mar-09-06 05:09 AM by Erik

Struts actually have very little to do with ride height. The springs set the height and the struts control the dampening. I think that either something is wrong with the installation, wheel/tire combo, or perhaps the wrong spring application was sent to you. The shock/strut travel is only that. That is why stock struts blow after awhile of driving on a lowered car. They can't handle the load and travel.

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 05:29 AM
2386 posts,
#28895, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 25

No my girlfriends dad who works at a shop had called the eibach and read the numbers off the spring to them and they were confirmed to be prokits. What I am saying though is these struts arent ment four our car they were made for a gallant. Now the actual construction of the agx could be different than the stock becuase of the spring perch. All I know is that from searching the forums someone confirmed that these struts are 1" off from stock which explains my problem perfectly.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-09-06 06:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28896, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 26

That would make plenty of sense if the perch is wrong. Go get a set of blues, and sell the AGX's. I've ran GAB's and finally blew the fronts out when I switched from the prokit to the H&R's sport. I was in a bind and got the blues with a killer discount from a local jobber that my buddy worked at. I've been extremely impressed compared to the fully adj. GAB's.

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 06:38 AM
2386 posts,
#28897, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 27

I would if I had time but unforuntaley I do not. The car leaves the shop tommorow and it will be completley overhauled(I'll make a post about that later) The stock springs are already on, and I plan to just ditch the agx's in a few months and get some tein basics, or d2s.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-09-06 06:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28898, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 28

I put a set of S-Tech's in my cousin's 03 Civic and they rode really nice. Probably better than my Prokits.

ezMar-09-06 09:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#28900, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 29

Just to confirm, it has to be your wheels/offset. I had sportlines on and had no rubbing, and that would be a more extreme drop than prokits. This was with 215/45/17s

ErikMar-09-06 09:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28901, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 30

Wheel width/offset. Alot of the drifting set-ups on these crazy 240's can fit wider tires on a wider wheel, with the correct offset and they sit almost on the fender. 215 series tire is not a very wide tire.

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 11:42 AM
2386 posts,
#28902, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 31

I agree, it is not width or offset, that would only cause rubbing on the control arms, that would not be the cause of my issue with it rubbing the fender and i mean the body of the car. It is deffintley my struts, the kyb agx was not designed for the eclipse. which also answers my question from when I first installed them why my backs were so weird and didnt seat rite.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

djtrickeeMar-09-06 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#28903, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 32

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR

There are plenty of people running those with no problems. Struts don't control the ride height, the springs do. I think your rims are the wrong offset.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

EclipseTenzoRMar-09-06 02:25 PM
2386 posts,
#28904, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 33

doesnt offset just mean how far out the wheel is from the hub?

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

Jem09Mar-12-06 01:12 PM
Member since Jul 12th 2005
224 posts,
#28926, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 34
Mar-12-06 01:13 PM by Jem09

Peace,
Have you considered havin' your rear quarter panels "pushed out" with a Fender Puller? Bein' that it's goin' to the shop, you should inquire about it, find out if they do it... If they do, it shouldn't run more then $50.00 a fender... Bein' that your rears are rubbin' only, you really only need to do those... Altho' when I do mine (I'm buyin' the tool) I'm doin' all four... It'll look nice regardless if you do all or jus the rear... It may very well make it look similiar to havin' fender flares, dependin' on how much they push it/them out... Doin' this will solve your problem and save you money from buyin' new suspension parts...

P.s. If you get this done, be sure they heat up the edge of the fender (ie: heat gun) to prevent any paint from chippin'...

Peace,
Jem

jdpilotMar-24-06 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1128 posts,
#29025, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 35

I had an issue with KYB AGX back in the day. KYB direct told me they f-d up. I think all the newer KYBS are good now.

Second Place "Sanford Sound SLAP 2005" Mild 2-Door
http://www.sanfordsound.com/carwash2005.htm
Second Place "Scrapefest 2002" 2nd Gen Mild
1995 GS AT, 97-99 Conversion.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8
1999 Chevy K2500 crew cab
5 jets skis, 3 snowmobiles, 2 ATVs. BRAAP!
Member # 1147

EclipseTenzoRMar-24-06 03:18 PM
2386 posts,
#29026, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 36
Mar-24-06 03:19 PM by EclipseTenzoR

well its back to stock height now, just saving money and gonna get some tein basics or d2s in a month or two

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28824 Previous topic | Next topic