Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12185
View in linear mode

Subject: "question on my coil overs........`" Previous topic | Next topic
BuckNuttySep-17-02 02:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12185, "question on my coil overs........`"

so exactly how long does it take for these things to settle? Mine have been on for a lil more then a week and they are still just as high as they were when i put them on. Unless i am doing things worng.

I have them adjusted so that the lil nut thingamabobbers are all the way down. Do i have to ttighten them to lower the car or loosen them??? TIA n shiite mangs...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: question on my coil overs........`, mcgyvr, Sep-17-02 05:15 AM, #1
RE: question on my coil overs........`, Ryan_RS, Sep-17-02 08:01 AM, #2
      RE: question on my coil overs........`, mcgyvr, Sep-18-02 12:39 AM, #3
           RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-18-02 03:18 AM, #4
                RE: question on my coil overs........`, mcgyvr, Sep-18-02 03:33 AM, #5
                     RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-18-02 04:18 AM, #6
                          RE: question on my coil overs........`, Synthplaya, Sep-18-02 04:40 AM, #7
                               RE: question on my coil overs........`, chaye, Sep-20-02 09:15 PM, #8
                                    RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-21-02 04:18 AM, #9
                                         RE: question on my coil overs........`, chaye, Sep-21-02 04:45 AM, #10
                                              RE: question on my coil overs........`, Teameclipse804, Sep-21-02 07:42 AM, #11
                                                   RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-21-02 07:16 PM, #12
                                                        RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-24-02 02:53 PM, #13
                                                             RE: question on my coil overs........`, jerseystyle1, Sep-25-02 01:40 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: question on my coil overs........`, jerseystyle1, Sep-26-02 09:58 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-26-02 04:35 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: question on my coil overs........`, Teameclipse804, Sep-27-02 10:46 AM, #17
                                                                                 RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-30-02 02:57 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: question on my coil overs........`, Teameclipse804, Sep-30-02 05:12 PM, #19
                                                                                           RE: question on my coil overs........`, BuckNutty, Sep-30-02 05:14 PM, #20
                                                                                                RE: question on my coil overs........`, Teameclipse804, Oct-01-02 08:24 PM, #21

mcgyvrSep-17-02 05:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12186, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 0

good springs shouldn't settle, and the skunks are a good spring so I think it will stay at the height you have now

My maxspeed coilovers have NOT settled at all, still the exact height that I had over 1 year ago

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ryan_HesSep-17-02 08:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#12187, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 1

>good springs shouldn't settle, >
>>

I have H&R Sport springs, and they settled....yet they are good springs. Jason has Eibach Prokits and they settled...also a good spring. Coilovers don't settle much, if any its the sleeve on the strut, not the spring.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

mcgyvrSep-18-02 12:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#12188, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 2

>>good springs shouldn't settle, >
>>>
>
>I have H&R Sport springs, and they settled....yet they are
>good springs. Jason has Eibach Prokits and they
>settled...also a good spring. Coilovers don't settle much,
>if any its the sleeve on the strut, not the spring.

Sorry, I was kind of talking about coilover springs, and if the sleeve on the strut settles/moves you have got problems, big problems

Mods are:
Not enough

BuckNuttySep-18-02 03:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12189, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 3

so....perhapse i haven't adjusted them correctly then????

mcgyvrSep-18-02 03:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#12190, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 4

if you have the spring/nut all the way down on the sleeve and arent lowered like you want, then it is actually possible that you put the coilovers on incorrectly, maybe the sleeve is on upside down, im not sure how the coilovers you have fit onto the shock but you may have them installed incorrectly ??

Mods are:
Not enough

BuckNuttySep-18-02 04:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12191, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 5

that is a possibility, i noticed that the rear end bounces hella higher then the front. Could it have something to do with the nuts at the top of the strut assembly? I didn't tighten them all the way, should i?

SynthplayaSep-18-02 04:40 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
265 posts,
#12192, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 6

I just ordred my Maxspeed coilovers, once i Get them im installin them? Are they hard? What should i expect, or any problems that i might encounter?

thanks

chayeSep-20-02 09:15 PM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#12193, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 7

hey Synthplaya i got maxspeeds too and honestly they SUCK royal dick..i mean my car feels really good on good roads and on curves its awsome but on bumpy roads they suck it seem like i got hydros and im attempting to see how high i can get..no for reals i dont know if its because my shocks are blown(which they are and i think they are just there to keep the coilovers in their place) but its too dam bouncy my bro has skunk 2 in his avenger and it does not bounce as much as mine does and we are at the same height although i think that because hes got a heavier V6 engin and car he does not get airborne as much as i do....dont know..i try to trade springs with him just to check but he didnt want to he said it was too much work..
as for the settling i never did that on my car i put them on and didnt touch them up to this point..and bucknutty in the picture on your sig is that without the springs if so you need to lower it more and if not then you should update...

BuckNuttySep-21-02 04:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12194, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 8

Well....i wanted to take a pic of my car once all my coil over issues were solved......as of right now my front end is just as high as it is in that pic, but the rear is lower. I can't figure out what i did wrong and nobody will answer me on if i am adjusting them right

chayeSep-21-02 04:45 AM
Member since Apr 28th 2002
420 posts,
#12195, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 9

so is it as high as it was when u had your stock springs..and your coilovers are all the way down?? when you installed them, did you took off the ring that held the old spring on your strut?? when i put my coilovers the first time i had the same problem and i thought that i had gotten the wrong ones for my car but it turned out to be that i had not gotten rid of that ring that held the stock springon the strut.

if you didnt take it out just take out your struts and hit them with a hammer from the bottom and they should come lose..try it or why dont you take some pics of how your suspension is right now it would be easier to see what is wrong with some pics..

Teameclipse804Sep-21-02 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12196, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 10

Simple question - did you remove the spring perches on your shocks either by knocking them off or grinding them down? If you didn't, they will be nearly at stock height even if you put it all the way down. My sig pic has the adjustable perch about 1" from the top (so it's very high). If you rotate the perch (two discs) all the way down, that is the lowest you can go. But if you didn't remove the spring perches on your struts, that's your problem right there...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

BuckNuttySep-21-02 07:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12197, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 11

The perches are removed from what i remember. I have 4 lil metel scraps taht came off the KYB GR-2's. The front is stock height and the rear is droppped a tad. I thought it was an issue with settling the springs, but i now see that is not an issue with coil overs hehe...I'll take pics in the AM and have em posted tomorrow.....it would be nice to get this beyatch lowered so i can ride pimp like the rest

BuckNuttySep-24-02 02:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12198, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 12

Front^

Rear^

Thats what it looks like on my drivers side, if that makes any difference.....my rear looks dropped already, front looks stock, if not taller.

jerseystyle1Sep-25-02 01:40 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#12199, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 13

This is what the skunk2's should look like all the way down!

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

jerseystyle1Sep-26-02 09:58 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
3135 posts,
#12200, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 14

how about now?

Allan
2008 Magnetic Black 350z NISMO /1976 Austin Mini 1098 Special (export)

Member# 1980

BuckNuttySep-26-02 04:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12201, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 15

Still got the same prob, jus hopin someone can see where i went wrong and point me in the right direction. I really wanna get this fixed up so it is one less thing i have to deal with. TIA

Teameclipse804Sep-27-02 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12202, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 16

Hey can you get any more clearer pics? The KYB GR2 shocks are silver colored. It seems like there is still a spring perch there from what I can see. That is most likely the problem.

Here's a question - does the bottom of the skunk2 collar rest on something? The collar is the part that the two disks spin on. It should just be hanging mid air if you removed the spring perches. The inside of the collar (somewhere near the middle) will actually rest on the welds that remain from removing the spring perch. So the bottom of that collar should just be hanging there and you could technically stick something up between the collar and shock from underneath if you wanted to.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

BuckNuttySep-30-02 02:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12203, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 17

I will try to get better pics up soon. Have a few other probs that are more important . But the black you see on the bottom of the coilover is electrical tape over the orings and metal washers that the directions said to put on. We took the perches off....in fact they are in a pile of junk in the corner of my garage......any other ideas??

Teameclipse804Sep-30-02 05:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12204, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 18

Oh wait, are your collars resting ON the O-rings? The O-rings should be inside the collar (you push it up so that the O-ring ends up somewhere inside). The O-ring should only be used to stabilize the collar, but the collar itself should rest on what remains of the welds from the spring perches. So technically you could have it setup without O-rings. It looks like your collars are actually resting on top of the O-rings - am I right?

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

BuckNuttySep-30-02 05:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#12205, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 19

bingo....gracias mucho.....Is there any way possible that you, or anyone out there, could get me a pic of how far down it should be???

Thanks a ton mang....points for you

Teameclipse804Oct-01-02 08:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#12206, "RE: question on my coil overs........`"
In response to Reply # 20

Glad I could help out Here's a pic of my rear setup and the height. It's about an inch from the lowest setting in the rear...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #12185 Previous topic | Next topic