Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jul-05-05 01:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27487, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to In response to 12

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
It would be interesting to see the pad surface area/torque moment on a disc vs. the shoe friction area/torque moment on a drum.

That would be interesting to see, imo. Just what kind of improvement does one gain from converting to the rear disc set up?

What is nice about a drum is that the shoes are pulled off of the drum, reducing drag when the brakes are not applied.

This has been one thing that always bugged me about the front pad/rotor design. Even when not applying braking force, the pads still rest against the rotors. I'm sure that being completely removed from this surface would both improve off-braking cooling during spirited drives and therefore contribute to equipment longetivity.

I don't think that enough braking on a 2G is done in the rear to really cause concern for heat. This definately holds true once the fronts are upgraded.

Considering I have nearly 172k on my original drums back there, I would have to agree. Obviously, there is a certain aesthetic quality that is lacking in a rusty, piece of shit drum behind a shiny new wheel, but could the drums be manufufactured from a different material to both appear more pleasing to the eye? In any case, I'm sure a good 1/16" of surface oxidation hurts heat transfer on the sinks along the outer edge of the drum.

This definately holds true once the fronts are upgraded. The more effective your front brakes/tires are, the less effective your rear brakes need to be.

Agreed. I definitely think that rear discs provide more an appearance mod than much else, however I have heard numerous people state that having discs at all four corners helps with brake force modulation.

All in all, I think there's some good information in this thread so far. I've personally learned a thing or two, had a couple doubts eased, and a couple opinions confirmed. Good thread imo.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?) [View all] , TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 08:26 AM
  RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-01-05 11:19 AM, #1
RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 12:36 PM, #2
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), kain_99gs, Jul-01-05 10:20 PM, #3
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-02-05 05:20 AM, #4
           RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Teametx, Jul-03-05 10:37 AM, #5
                RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-03-05 04:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-04-05 06:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-04-05 12:33 PM, #8
                               RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-05-05 10:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), CarbonFiberRST, Jul-05-05 11:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 12:09 PM, #11
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-05-05 12:25 PM, #12
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-05-05 01:34 PM #13
                                                   RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 01:54 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-05-05 02:41 PM, #15
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), MCubed45, Jul-06-05 01:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), silverarrow, Jul-06-05 03:46 PM, #24
      rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-05-05 06:46 PM, #16
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, TeamDR1665, Jul-06-05 06:21 AM, #17
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 09:58 AM, #18
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 12:08 PM, #20
                     RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 02:13 PM, #23
                          RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 05:52 PM, #25
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, CarbonFiberRST, Jul-06-05 11:45 AM, #19
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 01:42 PM, #22

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455 Previous topic | Next topic