Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455
View in linear mode

Subject: "Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jul-01-05 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27455, "Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"

Just did some tooling around in the search and found lots of information about the drums in the rear of our lower trim level 2GNTs. Figured I might compile some of this information and pose a couple questions I've got. I think this thread is titled good for future reference. That said...

* Purchase both new drums and the "hardware kit" with the springs, shims, whatever, when you buy your shoes. Sounds like a good idea considering how long it might be before you actually bother with these bastards again. Also, there is a special type of pliers to use removing/installing the springs back there.

* Chock the front wheels and disengage the parking brake before attempting to remove the drums. Apparently it makes getting started a great deal less frustrating.

* Use the proper bolt to remove the drum. I've seen some people say it's an 8mm head, but more often, people suggest one with a 10mm head. I suppose it doesn't matter so long as the thread pitch is right. Saw lots of information on soaking things with PB Blaster and then beating them mercilessly with mallets, hammers, and even blacksmith's hammers. I think I will take the car to Midas or something and have them use their tools to remove the drums as part of their free inspection service. Bolts are always easier to remove if they've been broken loose recently. I'll try to get the pitch of this bolt they require if I can.

Now, for my questions about these guys, let me just say that front rotor warpage has been the bane of my existance for several years now. Seems like, no matter what I do,my fronts don't last a month before they are warped to shit and it totally pisses me the fuck off. I have tried new rotors, different pads, new fluid and bleeding the brakes, removing the dust shields and opening the splash guards to provide better airflow, but they still warp. Every time. I've tried seating the pads better, and even cleaning the hubs up as best I can with some sand paper and brake-kleen before I install the new rotors with the same shitty results.

So, I'm realizing that I have over 171k on the original rear drum set up. I had them inspected about 50k ago, but I was told they looked brand new at that time by the guy at Midas. No big deal imo. I know they don't handle much more than maybe 30% of the actual braking duties, but once they wear out, I'm thinking that additional 10, 20, 30% requried of the fronts might lead to premature warping. I'm also wondering how one would know if their drums need to be replaced? Are they supposed to sound off like the pads up front?

Like I said, I've got a shit ton of miles on these bastards and I've adjusted the tension on my eBrake cable at least three times in the last few years, so I know they're getting tired, but how likely is it that they might be a contributing factor in the constant front warpage?

I've also read a couple people mention the front hub itself being warped? Is this possible? Could a front bearing (with just as many miles as the rear drums and pretty much the rest of the chassis) display the same symptoms of front rotor warpage and/or contribute?

I've got a 5,000 mile trip to make in about five weeks and I would really like to roll out of Phoenix with more confidence in my brake system. I will be installing GSX front calipers and PowerSlot rotors up front, but I'd like to make sure the rears are competent and not likely to fuck up the new digs up front.

Thanks for any replies and I hope someone bumps this thread and shares how this thread helped them out sometime in 2007.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?) [View all] , TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 08:26 AM
  RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-01-05 11:19 AM, #1
RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 12:36 PM, #2
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), kain_99gs, Jul-01-05 10:20 PM, #3
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-02-05 05:20 AM, #4
           RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Teametx, Jul-03-05 10:37 AM, #5
                RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-03-05 04:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-04-05 06:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-04-05 12:33 PM, #8
                               RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-05-05 10:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), CarbonFiberRST, Jul-05-05 11:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 12:09 PM, #11
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-05-05 12:25 PM, #12
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-05-05 01:34 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 01:54 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-05-05 02:41 PM, #15
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), MCubed45, Jul-06-05 01:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), silverarrow, Jul-06-05 03:46 PM, #24
      rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-05-05 06:46 PM, #16
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, TeamDR1665, Jul-06-05 06:21 AM, #17
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 09:58 AM, #18
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 12:08 PM, #20
                     RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 02:13 PM, #23
                          RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 05:52 PM, #25
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, CarbonFiberRST, Jul-06-05 11:45 AM, #19
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 01:42 PM, #22

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455 Previous topic | Next topic