Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455
View in linear mode

Subject: "Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDR1665Jul-01-05 08:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27455, "Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"

Just did some tooling around in the search and found lots of information about the drums in the rear of our lower trim level 2GNTs. Figured I might compile some of this information and pose a couple questions I've got. I think this thread is titled good for future reference. That said...

* Purchase both new drums and the "hardware kit" with the springs, shims, whatever, when you buy your shoes. Sounds like a good idea considering how long it might be before you actually bother with these bastards again. Also, there is a special type of pliers to use removing/installing the springs back there.

* Chock the front wheels and disengage the parking brake before attempting to remove the drums. Apparently it makes getting started a great deal less frustrating.

* Use the proper bolt to remove the drum. I've seen some people say it's an 8mm head, but more often, people suggest one with a 10mm head. I suppose it doesn't matter so long as the thread pitch is right. Saw lots of information on soaking things with PB Blaster and then beating them mercilessly with mallets, hammers, and even blacksmith's hammers. I think I will take the car to Midas or something and have them use their tools to remove the drums as part of their free inspection service. Bolts are always easier to remove if they've been broken loose recently. I'll try to get the pitch of this bolt they require if I can.

Now, for my questions about these guys, let me just say that front rotor warpage has been the bane of my existance for several years now. Seems like, no matter what I do,my fronts don't last a month before they are warped to shit and it totally pisses me the fuck off. I have tried new rotors, different pads, new fluid and bleeding the brakes, removing the dust shields and opening the splash guards to provide better airflow, but they still warp. Every time. I've tried seating the pads better, and even cleaning the hubs up as best I can with some sand paper and brake-kleen before I install the new rotors with the same shitty results.

So, I'm realizing that I have over 171k on the original rear drum set up. I had them inspected about 50k ago, but I was told they looked brand new at that time by the guy at Midas. No big deal imo. I know they don't handle much more than maybe 30% of the actual braking duties, but once they wear out, I'm thinking that additional 10, 20, 30% requried of the fronts might lead to premature warping. I'm also wondering how one would know if their drums need to be replaced? Are they supposed to sound off like the pads up front?

Like I said, I've got a shit ton of miles on these bastards and I've adjusted the tension on my eBrake cable at least three times in the last few years, so I know they're getting tired, but how likely is it that they might be a contributing factor in the constant front warpage?

I've also read a couple people mention the front hub itself being warped? Is this possible? Could a front bearing (with just as many miles as the rear drums and pretty much the rest of the chassis) display the same symptoms of front rotor warpage and/or contribute?

I've got a 5,000 mile trip to make in about five weeks and I would really like to roll out of Phoenix with more confidence in my brake system. I will be installing GSX front calipers and PowerSlot rotors up front, but I'd like to make sure the rears are competent and not likely to fuck up the new digs up front.

Thanks for any replies and I hope someone bumps this thread and shares how this thread helped them out sometime in 2007.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-01-05 11:19 AM, #1
RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-01-05 12:36 PM, #2
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), kain_99gs, Jul-01-05 10:20 PM, #3
      RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-02-05 05:20 AM, #4
           RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Teametx, Jul-03-05 10:37 AM, #5
                RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-03-05 04:05 PM, #6
                     RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-04-05 06:29 AM, #7
                          RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-04-05 12:33 PM, #8
                               RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), thedawg, Jul-05-05 10:19 AM, #9
                                    RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), CarbonFiberRST, Jul-05-05 11:50 AM, #10
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 12:09 PM, #11
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), Ducking_Fumbass, Jul-05-05 12:25 PM, #12
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), TeamDR1665, Jul-05-05 01:34 PM, #13
                                                   RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 01:54 PM, #14
                                                        RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), a_miller_76, Jul-05-05 02:41 PM, #15
                                         RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), MCubed45, Jul-06-05 01:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?), silverarrow, Jul-06-05 03:46 PM, #24
      rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-05-05 06:46 PM, #16
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, TeamDR1665, Jul-06-05 06:21 AM, #17
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 09:58 AM, #18
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 12:08 PM, #20
                     RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 02:13 PM, #23
                          RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, BumpinTalon, Jul-06-05 05:52 PM, #25
           RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, CarbonFiberRST, Jul-06-05 11:45 AM, #19
                RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings, Moderatorjuan, Jul-06-05 01:42 PM, #22

thedawgJul-01-05 11:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27458, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 0

Your front rotors warp because the stock spec and especially the OEM rotors are woefully inadequate. I could take a showroom new eclipse and warp its rotors in under 5 minutes. Given the fact that DSMs are rather heavy, and easily capable of regular triple digit speeds, the cute little front brakes we have just don't cut it.

The solution is very simple. Get better or bigger rotors. OEM sized Powerslots take much longer to warp, if ever. GSX brake calipers and a Powerslot or any other larger, quality rotor would be nearly indestructible.

Another huge factor is correct rim installation and exact, even lug torque. If you have aftermarket wheels, you should always use the nylon hubcentric rings. Making sure the wheel is exactly torqued, and not crooked, is the ONLY thing that holds the rotor itself flat against the hub.

The drums on the other hand will outlast your car IMO. The drum shoes last a long ass time. Knowing this, most places like Midas will not actually open up the drums and inspect the shoes. Mine have squealed since the car was brand new and I've had 3 different dealerships tell me they have 90% life left and are in perfect operation. (The squealing was part of the design, im sure, right? ) I've gone completely through 3 sets of front pads, and 3 sets of front rotors, yet never even used up a quarter of the drum shoes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamDR1665Jul-01-05 12:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27460, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by thedawg
Your front rotors warp because the stock spec and especially the OEM rotors are woefully inadequate.

I can believe this, however, didn't Hades have some good things to say about them, even after doing his super-dorifto thing down a mountain road one night? I mean, they were glowing hot and he said nothing of warpage. Well, maybe he did later, but I remember him saying he thought they were decent.

I could take a showroom new eclipse and warp its rotors in under 5 minutes.

I bet you could. You're a hard man, Dan.

Given the fact that DSMs are rather heavy, and easily capable of regular triple digit speeds, the cute little front brakes we have just don't cut it.

I would agree. I've never really had much confidence in them. Especially at those speeds.

GSX brake calipers and a Powerslot or any other larger, quality rotor would be nearly indestructible.

This is excellent news. Thank you. I just need to get the slots off the donor car here soon so I can do the swap.

Another huge factor is correct rim installation and exact, even lug torque.

"Calibrated elbow" won't cut it? Damn. I bet this is where I am fucking up (or at least not helping things).

If you have aftermarket wheels, you should always use the nylon hubcentric rings.

Where do I find these? If they are so important, why are they not included with the wheels? Conspiracy amongst the brake shops and aftermarket wheel manufacturers, perhaps?

Making sure the wheel is exactly torqued, and not crooked, is the ONLY thing that holds the rotor itself flat against the hub.

Agreed. This makes sense. I should take more care to torque properly.

The drums on the other hand will outlast your car IMO.

Then again, if you had to put a serious estimate under average conditions (as bench racing-like as it may be), what kind of lifespan would you estimate? 200k? 250k? More? I certainly hope to have discs back there before 200k.

The drum shoes last a long ass time. Knowing this, most places like Midas will not actually open up the drums and inspect the shoes.

Lazy bastards. It's not like we're going to have them actually do the work, so why not?

Mine have squealed since the car was brand new and I've had 3 different dealerships tell me they have 90% life left and are in perfect operation. (The squealing was part of the design, im sure, right? ) I've gone completely through 3 sets of front pads, and 3 sets of front rotors, yet never even used up a quarter of the drum shoes.

I've gone through numerous front pads and rotors. I've honestly lost count. Like I said, this has been the bane of my existance for years.

Thanks for the comments, Dan. Appreciate it.

kain_99gsJul-01-05 10:20 PM
Member since May 04th 2004
536 posts,
#27463, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 2

I would add to this that very rarely is a shop (especially midas) going to knock off the back drums to check your shoes. I used to work at a tire shop and I believe we rarely checked them. Usually the only reason why we WOULD check them was because our mechanics worked on commision. Sometimes getting those drums off required hitting with a hammer. Doesn't hurt it (moderation people). I would also like to know about the PowerSlot rotors as I plan on upgrading to these all the way around.

Ducking_FumbassJul-02-05 05:20 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
#27466, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 3

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/bedincontents.htm

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warpaway.htm

Read until your eyes bleed. Carroll Smith was a great builder. I trust, very much, what he said, and recommend for anybody else to do the same.

TeametxJul-03-05 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#27471, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 4

The best way to pull the drums off when they are stuck is to colapse the inner assembly by cuting the heads off the pins on the back. The drum is held on by the rust ring inside the drum, and it's hitting the pads. Make sure you get the hardware kit if your going to cut the pins, it's a dealer item too. I had to 'fabricate' a pin for mine cause I didn't wanna goto the dealer.

Ducking_FumbassJul-03-05 04:05 PM
1147 posts,
#27472, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 5

I pulled mine off without a problem... I think that there is a threaded hole that will act as a puller. Give that a shot.

a_miller_76Jul-04-05 06:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#27473, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah mine just come right off

I'd also like to say that, at least imo, GSX fronts and all that with drum rears is pretty fucking gay. You can upgrade your rears with sway bars from any junkyard for less than $200 with some elbow grease of your own.

TeamDR1665Jul-04-05 12:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27474, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 7
Jul-04-05 12:34 PM by DR1665

nm.

Thanks for the links, Ducking. I'll do some reading tomorrow morning at work.

thedawgJul-05-05 10:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#27482, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm guilty of oversimplifying here. I was using the common concept of "warped brakes" rather than explaining how stock pads melt to the cute little rotors that don't dissipate enough heat, and eventually create hotspots that crack the rotor. The end result, either way, is you have a rotor that needs to be resurfaced or replaced every week.

I also forgot to include that I always use Axxis Metal Master pads when I upgrade to bigger/better rotors, which work great at high speeds, and only suffer a little in the squealing & no brake power around town department.

There's a great sticky on this topic at the top of this forum btw.

Also- Rear drums to rear discs on our cars is NOT an upgrade.

CarbonFiberRSTJul-05-05 11:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27484, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 9

Also- Rear drums to rear discs on our cars is NOT an upgrade.

Just curious why you say this? When I switched to rear discs I could feel an improvement in braking. The car stopped with noticeably less pedal travel... maybe it was just because I had air in the lines before and never new it though...

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

BumpinTalonJul-05-05 12:09 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#27485, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Originally posted by thedawg Also- Rear drums to rear discs on our cars is NOT an upgrade.
Just curious why you say this? When I switched to rear discs I could feel an improvement in braking. The car stopped with noticeably less pedal travel... maybe it was just because I had air in the lines before and never new it though...

The major advantage of disc brakes over drum brakes is that disc brakes dissipate heat much, much better. drum brakes actually release faster, so I suppose with ABS in a car with drum brakes and another with equivalent disc brakes, the drum brakes car will remain more controllable under braking with less skidding happening.
However, drum brakes really soak up heat and thus are terrible in any kind of high performance application.
And just off the top of my head, I haven't really researched this, but since your average disc brake caliper is much further from the centerline of the axle then your average drum brake shoe, disc brakes potentially can exert more braking force with the same effort because of the additional leverage. I'm not entirely sure about that, though.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Ducking_FumbassJul-05-05 12:25 PM
1147 posts,
#27486, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 11

It would be interesting to see the pad surface area/torque moment on a disc vs. the shoe friction area/torque moment on a drum. What is nice about a drum is that the shoes are pulled off of the drum, reducing drag when the brakes are not applied.

I don't think that enough braking on a 2G is done in the rear to really cause concern for heat. This definately holds true once the fronts are upgraded. The more effective your front brakes/tires are, the less effective your rear brakes need to be.

TeamDR1665Jul-05-05 01:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27487, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Ducking_Fumbass
It would be interesting to see the pad surface area/torque moment on a disc vs. the shoe friction area/torque moment on a drum.

That would be interesting to see, imo. Just what kind of improvement does one gain from converting to the rear disc set up?

What is nice about a drum is that the shoes are pulled off of the drum, reducing drag when the brakes are not applied.

This has been one thing that always bugged me about the front pad/rotor design. Even when not applying braking force, the pads still rest against the rotors. I'm sure that being completely removed from this surface would both improve off-braking cooling during spirited drives and therefore contribute to equipment longetivity.

I don't think that enough braking on a 2G is done in the rear to really cause concern for heat. This definately holds true once the fronts are upgraded.

Considering I have nearly 172k on my original drums back there, I would have to agree. Obviously, there is a certain aesthetic quality that is lacking in a rusty, piece of shit drum behind a shiny new wheel, but could the drums be manufufactured from a different material to both appear more pleasing to the eye? In any case, I'm sure a good 1/16" of surface oxidation hurts heat transfer on the sinks along the outer edge of the drum.

This definately holds true once the fronts are upgraded. The more effective your front brakes/tires are, the less effective your rear brakes need to be.

Agreed. I definitely think that rear discs provide more an appearance mod than much else, however I have heard numerous people state that having discs at all four corners helps with brake force modulation.

All in all, I think there's some good information in this thread so far. I've personally learned a thing or two, had a couple doubts eased, and a couple opinions confirmed. Good thread imo.

BumpinTalonJul-05-05 01:54 PM
2381 posts,
#27489, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 13

If you wanted to go all hard core racer at it, rear disks would help because as you increase the rigidity of the suspension, your weight is spread more evenly across all four wheels. This means that the fronts will lock up sooner while the rears will lock up later then they typically would in a stock suspensioned car. In a track car that is likely to have a very stiff suspension, having rear disks may be an advantage.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

a_miller_76Jul-05-05 02:41 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#27490, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 14

And drums look fucking retarded too, they're fine on a stock car but if you have big old fucking front rotors with those shitty drums in the rear you'll get clowned on.

MCubed45Jul-06-05 01:15 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27500, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Originally posted by thedawg Also- Rear drums to rear discs on our cars is NOT an upgrade.

pedal travel has NOTHING to do with braking performance. idk why people always say they felt an improvement in braking after they installed such and such part. the only way to measure braking performance is in stopping DISTANCE. i swear some people would think they had awesome brakes if someone welded their pedal in place. rock hard pedal action!

if you can lock your wheels your brakes are fine. all upgrades after that are purely for better heat dissipation.

-marc

silverarrowJul-06-05 03:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
178 posts,
#27503, "RE: Drum brake discussion inside. (relating to fronts warping?)"
In response to Reply # 21

LOL.... hey DR1665, I figured out why I was locking up in the NJ traffic and the timing of this thread coincides, so I figured I would chime in.

I put new pads on the back (I have disc rears) and drove around, seated them, and then put them to the test. On an empty road, of course.

First off, the other poster may be right about saying that new pads do not actually decrease your stopping distance, but they sure as hell make it a lot easier to modulate your braking pressure, as well as (imo) give a better (sharper) bite to your rear brakes. With my new, improved braking feeling I was better able to dance around the envelope and realized that my front left wheel was the weak link, and was locking before any other wheel. But I was testing in a straight line so I could not understand why one side would seemingly pass threshold before the other.

I explained my problem to a knowledgable friend of mine who advised that I needed to bleed out my right front brake line as it probably has air in it, causing uneven braking; thus the front left lockup under threshold braking.

Anyways, I just got a kick out of this thread coming up after my enlightenment. Good luck on your trip, and if you see any NJ plates you may want to take evasive action.

Proud owner of a '95. Johnny Tran says the '95 VTEC just kicked in, yo.

RICE: AEM Short Ram, CI 55mm Throttle Body, GS-T Muffler, Self-Made Ground Wire Kit, Caulk, Duct Tape,
and "Stage 1 Weight Reduction" aka screws and bolts always left over from working on car.

ModeratorjuanJul-05-05 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#27493, "rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 2
Jul-05-05 06:50 PM by juan

Your front rotors warp because the stock spec and especially the OEM rotors are woefully inadequate.
"Calibrated elbow" won't cut it? Damn. I bet this is where I am fucking up or at least not helping things).

yes, and warped rotors from over-torqued lugs is is probably a hidden "revenue stream source" for shops.

Even if you explicitly tell them to hand torque to spec, I am firmly convinced that when it comes time to mount the wheels, the service department just has their biggest most-hairy-knuckle-dragging shop-monkey do it, who never sets the torque on the impact wrench and lets it bang away till the lugnut is firmly secured at something like 2,700 ft-lbs...

...but maybe its just cos last time I took my wheels off I had to use an 18" breaker bar, a 1/2" impact socket, the full length of a 3' steel pipe over the breaker bar, nearly all of my 190lbs and 14 curse words I didn't know I knew. I broke one regular 3/8" socket and two 1/2" regular CrV sockets before trying the impact one.

Just get a 1/2" adjustable torque wrench from Harbour Freight tools for like $20, and it'll do the job just fine.

If you have aftermarket wheels, you should always use the nylon hubcentric rings.
Where do I find these? If they are so important, why are they not included with the wheels? Conspiracy amongst the brake shops and aftermarket wheel manufacturers, perhaps?

They should come with the wheels when bought new from reputable wheel companies. But note that they are sized to be specific to a car's wheel hub and the centerbore of the particular wheel. So if the wheels are from another car, or the rings are lost, then you will need to buy some or have them custom made.

Good post from an extremely knowledgeable person:

Hub centric rings are worth the effort. There are companies that make hub centric rings "special order" as long as you provide the OD and ID. Keep in mind that you want as close to a slip-fit as possible (about 0.004" clearance) from the hub ring to the vehicle hub. Most any machine shop could make these also. Some companies offer hub centric rings in metal, some are plastic. The metal ones are better.

As an example...here is a link on this website that offers them! http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

Best wishes for a nice smooth ride!

Dave Scribner
Product Manager-BLT
HUNTER Engineering
www.gsp9700.com

(FYI - this company makes the Hunter GSP9700, reputed to be the best machine to use when having tires mounted/balanced. TireRack.com uses these machines themselves, but you can find a local shop that has it from http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm)

Don't sweat having the plastic ones, unless you hot-lap your car. Just be sure to remember they are there - I nearly lost one of the ones that came with my Kosei's when I had my last set of tires installed.

juan

TeamDR1665Jul-06-05 06:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27496, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 16

I will be sure to have the $20 torque wrench on hand when I do install the GSX fronts on Daisy. I've got a few friends coming in from SoCal and Vegas on the 30th to help me get all the last little projects completed before Daisy hits the road for the Shootout and I aim to have all the stuff I need for my brakes by then.

When you say plastic rings and be careful with them hot-lapping, Juan, do they themselves warp or tend to melt? I will definitely look for them when I pull the wheels next time. Never even knew about them until this thread. Bought the wheels from Wheelmax. Wonder if they came with them...

ModeratorjuanJul-06-05 09:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#27497, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 17

When you say plastic rings and be careful with them hot-lapping, Juan, do they themselves warp or tend to melt? I will definitely look for them when I pull the wheels next time.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0405scc_srt/

But these are pretty extreme conditions.

Also see:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70683
http://tinyurl.com/8pyzo

Some say that the aluminum ones suffer galvanic corrosion when next to iron:
http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/html/galcorr.htm
but maybe a thin layer of good anti-sieze will help.

juan

BumpinTalonJul-06-05 12:08 PM
2381 posts,
#27499, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by juan
When you say plastic rings and be careful with them hot-lapping, Juan, do they themselves warp or tend to melt? I will definitely look for them when I pull the wheels next time.
pic
From: http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0405scc_srt/ But these are pretty extreme conditions. Also see: http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70683 http://tinyurl.com/8pyzo Some say that the aluminum ones suffer galvanic corrosion when next to iron: http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/html/galcorr.htm but maybe a thin layer of good anti-sieze will help. juan

wow, I think I have nylon rings, but I am not really sure. How is it a trackday will toast a ring like that?

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

ModeratorjuanJul-06-05 02:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#27502, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 20
Jul-06-05 02:17 PM by juan

Repeated aggressive braking and aggressive pads is the basic recipe for building up that kind of heat, and is most often encountered when cooking around a racetrack.

It is possible to get the discs glowing on street cars too. Scot Gray (http://www.blak94gsx.com/) mentioned he has had his light up running the canyons north of LA at night...

juan

BumpinTalonJul-06-05 05:52 PM
2381 posts,
#27505, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 23

wow I had no idea that would affect the rings like that. my car will soon get its fair share of track abuse.. maybe its time to get metal rings.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

CarbonFiberRSTJul-06-05 11:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#27498, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 16
Jul-06-05 11:45 AM by CarbonFiberRST

Originally posted by juan
http://www.1010tires.com/hubrings.asp

How do I know what size to get? I have no way of making measurements that precise.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

ModeratorjuanJul-06-05 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#27501, "RE: rotor warping, lugs and rings"
In response to Reply # 19

From the Comprehensive Specs on Info & Specs from the Main site, the inside diameter needs to be:
Centerbore = 67.1mm

(it is a fairly common size, shared with Nissans, Fords and Mazdas sporting 5x114.3 hubs)

As for the inside diameter of the wheel (the outside diameter of the hub ring), I guess you'll have to contact the company that manufactured it, or maybe knowledgeable places that sell it. Or try Google?

juan

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27455 Previous topic | Next topic