Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #176
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)" Previous topic | Next topic
WIKKIMar-11-03 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#185, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to In response to 6

O-K

first off. don't be freakin' out that people are saying that your trans is going out. it may, or it may not. but first you should do what you can to make sure that you do whatever you can to prevent it first. then if it goes, then it goes.

let's take care of these questions. let's do 1,2 and 7 together.

<1. Why does mine make a whistle/humming sound if coasting at about 30-35?
2. Why does mine roll backwards if parked on a hill? It never did before.
7. Why do I have 3 different colors in my tranny fluid. Red, Black, and Shiny metal, also sometimes white foam.>

it sounds like you changed your trans fluid recently (none too soon it seems). did you check your fluid with the car in neutral and running? if not, you probably don't have enough fluid in there. if thats true, that would cause it to not catch at idle and make it whistle and hum. so FILL IT UP NOW! the magnet will have some shavings on it. that is normal. that is why it is there in the first place.

lets take care of #3
<3. Does the tranny have a mysterious 5th/passing gear? Sometimes when I mash the gas it will shift and really take off, but sometimes it stays in the same gear and moves slower than it would if it had just shifted, under the same conditions.>

well, first off. your transmission adjusts to your driving style somewhat (shift points, ect...) so that takes care of same conditions.
It is interesting to have your car dynoed. how they have to do it is to get the car into 3rd gear (wyatt said it was fourth, but oh well), and try to get the car between the 3000 and 4000 rpm range and get the pedal to the floor without it shifting down. it's not easy to do because the "point" keeps moving. you have to do it several times to get it "just right". that is why sometimes it shifts, sometimes it doesn't. when it doesn't...you hit it "just right" (for me it only happens when I'm trying to gun it past a honda )

<4. How do u change the all the fluid without removing the tq convertor? When i change mine I only get about 1.5-2 gallons out, but the manuel says there 9 quarts.>

if you REALLY want to get it all, most lube shops can unplug your cooler hoses and hook them up to a "big machine" (can I borrow that joe?) and pump most of it out for about $75. I just prefer to change mine often instead.

5. Are there 2 tranny kits? A valve body and a shift kit.

there are several "kits" for your trans, but the valve body kit IS the shift kit for our cars. no others are available to improve shifting to my knowledge. all of the other kits involve clutches and other internals, and require the removal of the trans to be performed.

6. Why do I have a small piece of rubber hose splicing one tranny line together? It is located right under the radiator, but below the bumper and everything.

it sounds like a previous owner had a accessory cooler installed, but for some reason removed it and spliced the hoses together IMO. just make sure that the splice isn't connecting the two lines together and bypassing the radiator (cooler). I would be inclined to spend the $50 and put that accessory cooler back in.

dude, I'm concerned that you are running around without enough fluid in your trans. check it out soon. DON'T over-fill it, but make sure that there is enough (atf+3 only!)

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

couple trany ??? long [View all] , shybuck, Mar-11-03 01:39 PM
  RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 01:56 PM, #1
RE: couple trany ??? long, shybuck, Mar-11-03 02:24 PM, #2
      RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 02:27 PM, #3
           RE: couple trany ??? long, shybuck, Mar-11-03 05:12 PM, #4
                RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 05:18 PM, #5
                     RE: couple trany ??? long, Fast420A, Mar-11-03 06:27 PM, #6
                          RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), WIKKI, Mar-11-03 10:30 PM #7
                               RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 06:12 AM, #8
                                    RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), shybuck, Mar-12-03 03:09 PM, #9
                                         RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), KLIPZED, Mar-12-03 03:35 PM, #10
                                              RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 03:36 PM, #11
RE: couple trany ??? long, Teamdougie2, Mar-12-03 04:00 PM, #12

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #176 Previous topic | Next topic