Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #176
View in linear mode

Subject: "couple trany ??? long" Previous topic | Next topic
shybuckMar-11-03 01:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#176, "couple trany ??? long"

1. Why does mine make a whistle/humming sound if coasting at about 30-35?

2. Why does mine roll backwards if parked on a hill? It never did before.

3. Does the tranny have a mysterious 5th/passing gear? Sometimes when I mash the gas it will shift and really take off, but sometimes it stays in the same gear and moves slower than it would if it had just shifted, under the same conditions.

4. How do u change the all the fluid without removing the tq convertor? When i change mine I only get about 1.5-2 gallons out, but the manuel says there 9 quarts.

5. Are there 2 tranny kits? A valve body and a shift kit.

6. Why do I have a small piece of rubber hose splicing one tranny line together? It is located right under the radiator, but below the bumper and everything.

7. Why do I have 3 different colors in my tranny fluid. Red, Black, and Shiny metal, also sometimes white foam.

I know I have more but cant think of them right now. Sorry for so many but I dont know shyt about trannys. Thanx for your help.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 01:56 PM, #1
RE: couple trany ??? long, shybuck, Mar-11-03 02:24 PM, #2
      RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 02:27 PM, #3
           RE: couple trany ??? long, shybuck, Mar-11-03 05:12 PM, #4
                RE: couple trany ??? long, Joe B Slow, Mar-11-03 05:18 PM, #5
                     RE: couple trany ??? long, Fast420A, Mar-11-03 06:27 PM, #6
                          RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), WIKKI, Mar-11-03 10:30 PM, #7
                               RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 06:12 AM, #8
                                    RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), shybuck, Mar-12-03 03:09 PM, #9
                                         RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), KLIPZED, Mar-12-03 03:35 PM, #10
                                              RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always), Joe B Slow, Mar-12-03 03:36 PM, #11
RE: couple trany ??? long, Teamdougie2, Mar-12-03 04:00 PM, #12

Joe B SlowMar-11-03 01:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#177, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Why does mine make a whistle/humming sound if coasting at about 30-35?

Dunno - prolly just the harmonics of the spinning inside the transmission.

Dunno about this one either, do you mean roll back like rolling down the hill or rolling back then stopping?

3. Does the tranny have a mysterious 5th/passing gear? Sometimes when I mash the gas it will shift and really take off, but sometimes it stays in the same gear and moves slower than it would if it had just shifted, under the same conditions.

Different conditions. Our transmissions work by sampling itself over and over and making choices based on those samples.

4. How do u change the all the fluid without removing the tq convertor? When i change mine I only get about 1.5-2 gallons out, but the manuel says there 9 quarts.

You can change the fluid - go for a run - change it again and it should almost all be out. Otherwise you have to take it to a shop with a huge ass machine to do it.

Yes i believe there is a shift kit to install , and then also a valve body kit that contains all the pieces already. Like a direct swap sort of thing.

6. Why do I have a small piece of rubber hose splicing one tranny line together? It is located right under the radiator, but below the bumper and everything.

These are your oil cooling lines.

7. Why do I have 3 different colors in my tranny fluid. Red, Black, and Shiny metal, also sometimes white foam.

You shouldnt have shiny metal inside your tranny fluid. That is bad. Check to make sure your magnets are picking up all that. Black - who knows. Should all be red and if its foaming most likely you have too much fluid in there. Remember, our transmissions are VERY picky about certain tolerences.

Hope that helps. And if I'm wrong about anything guys correct me if you want:thumbsup

Goog

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.
AIM: brohymn411
Email: brohymn411@hotmail.com

ph33r me im l33t: I'm like
ph33r me im l33t: petting the tranny cooler
ph33r me im l33t: it looks like a baby intercooler
ph33r me im l33t: it's so cute
ph33r me im l33t: seriously man
ph33r me im l33t: it's like
ph33r me im l33t: I flow shit
ph33r me im l33t: what now
ph33r me im l33t: I cool that bitch down

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

shybuckMar-11-03 02:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#179, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-11-03 02:26 PM by shybuck

sorry rolls back when in D. It will stop after about 5-10 feet.

So is my tranny cooler missing? I cant find it? There is only 1 line in that spot, and only 1 with a hose on it. It is only about 2" long.

I am asking about a additional shift kit not a pre assembled one.

only have 1 magnet and it was covered in metal filings. I mean there was just a ball of metal with a magnet in the middle.
hope that clears it up

Joe B SlowMar-11-03 02:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#180, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-11-03 02:30 PM by Joe B Slow

sorry rolls back when in D. It will stop after about 5-10 feet.

-That's odd. Does the car go forward immediately after you give it gas? If not I'd say maybe the clutches in that gear are slipping.

So is my tranny cooler missing? I cant find it? There is only 1 line in that spot, and only 1 with a hose on it. It is only about 2" long.

-Take a picture of what youre talking about and I can help. There SHOULD be two lines coming out of your transmission. both going into the radiator area. Maybe your car/year didnt come with a cooler.

I am asking about a additional shift kit not a pre assembled one.

-Check out www.txchange.com for any information you need about shift kits. They are always quick to answer any questions you might have.

Hope that helps bro,
Joseph

PS - are you cleaning out your tranny fluid pan after each change? You need to clear out all those filings. If you are getting an excess amount of metal on those magnets you are in trouble. Try getting another set of magnets on there and see if that helps. It may be that the majority of them are accumulating on that one magnet, if you get more maybe it will disperse more easily.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

shybuckMar-11-03 05:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#181, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 3

It will go forward after it rolls, all by itself. Sometimes makes a crunching sound though.

Yes I clean the pan well, everytime.

I have 2 line coming out of the tranny and going into the radiator. But 1 seems to have a break in it for some reason and someone pieced them together with a hose. Unless that is where the tranny cooler goes. There is a u shaped line i front of the radiator, It goes to nothing also.

Joe B SlowMar-11-03 05:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#182, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 4

There shouldnt really be a lot of metal pieces on those magnets. Without actually seeing your transmission or driving it I cant say much but it sounds like your tranny is f**ked.

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main23/main23sub310.html

That is what your lines for the fluid cooler should look like ^^^

good luck

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

Fast420AMar-11-03 06:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#183, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 5

Sounds like your tranny is on the way out. Good luck.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

WIKKIMar-11-03 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
699 posts,
#185, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to Reply # 6

O-K

first off. don't be freakin' out that people are saying that your trans is going out. it may, or it may not. but first you should do what you can to make sure that you do whatever you can to prevent it first. then if it goes, then it goes.

let's take care of these questions. let's do 1,2 and 7 together.

<1. Why does mine make a whistle/humming sound if coasting at about 30-35?
7. Why do I have 3 different colors in my tranny fluid. Red, Black, and Shiny metal, also sometimes white foam.>

it sounds like you changed your trans fluid recently (none too soon it seems). did you check your fluid with the car in neutral and running? if not, you probably don't have enough fluid in there. if thats true, that would cause it to not catch at idle and make it whistle and hum. so FILL IT UP NOW! the magnet will have some shavings on it. that is normal. that is why it is there in the first place.

lets take care of #3
<3. Does the tranny have a mysterious 5th/passing gear? Sometimes when I mash the gas it will shift and really take off, but sometimes it stays in the same gear and moves slower than it would if it had just shifted, under the same conditions.>

well, first off. your transmission adjusts to your driving style somewhat (shift points, ect...) so that takes care of same conditions.
It is interesting to have your car dynoed. how they have to do it is to get the car into 3rd gear (wyatt said it was fourth, but oh well), and try to get the car between the 3000 and 4000 rpm range and get the pedal to the floor without it shifting down. it's not easy to do because the "point" keeps moving. you have to do it several times to get it "just right". that is why sometimes it shifts, sometimes it doesn't. when it doesn't...you hit it "just right" (for me it only happens when I'm trying to gun it past a honda )

<4. How do u change the all the fluid without removing the tq convertor? When i change mine I only get about 1.5-2 gallons out, but the manuel says there 9 quarts.>

if you REALLY want to get it all, most lube shops can unplug your cooler hoses and hook them up to a "big machine" (can I borrow that joe?) and pump most of it out for about $75. I just prefer to change mine often instead.

there are several "kits" for your trans, but the valve body kit IS the shift kit for our cars. no others are available to improve shifting to my knowledge. all of the other kits involve clutches and other internals, and require the removal of the trans to be performed.

it sounds like a previous owner had a accessory cooler installed, but for some reason removed it and spliced the hoses together IMO. just make sure that the splice isn't connecting the two lines together and bypassing the radiator (cooler). I would be inclined to spend the $50 and put that accessory cooler back in.

dude, I'm concerned that you are running around without enough fluid in your trans. check it out soon. DON'T over-fill it, but make sure that there is enough (atf+3 only!)

peace
WIKKI

THAT is not f**king THAT!
THIS is f**king THIS!

Joe B SlowMar-12-03 06:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#192, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to Reply # 7

Well said Wikki. And yes, you can use my "big machine" wor .

Honestly though man, it sounds like he has an access amount of metal shavings on those magnets. And it does sound like too much or too little fluid he has in there.

Joseph

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

shybuckMar-12-03 03:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
811 posts,
#193, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to Reply # 8

Well Thanx that is realy helpful. Now Yes I checked my fluid i neutral and running at idle on level ground. I used atf+4. I changed it about6 months ago, cause I found out the mechanic had installed dex/merc 3 instead of atf+3. That is when I found all the metal peices. It is probably not a severe prob. cause the tranny drives fine, it just makes some wierd noises and wont ingage all the way I geuss.

The same mechanic said the whistling noise was the convertor breaking in. That was about 2 yrs ago. It still makes the noise. No probs related yet. And it makes it at above 30 only!! While coasting not accelerating.

I bought the car from a ford dealership. An old lady owned it before my so I dont think she had any aftermarket shyt installed. She drove it alot though and it was hurting when I found it. Bad. They dealer wont cheap with everything of course tro fix it to. So they probably broke a line and spliced it together, instead of buying a new one. As the lines dont have flared ends.

I have only changed the fluid onc sense I owned it. But have already replaced the tranny. The new 1 is the 1 I changed the fluid in. It had 30K miles on it when I installed in my car. Now about 50K. I only supect he changed it but I dont now for sure. He said it was fine before he installed it, but charged me for a change. It was pissing fluid when I picked it up after he changed the fluid, maybe. He said he never changed it so wasn't responsable for the leak and he charged me by mistake. But I dont no. So there may have been 40K worth of metal in there.

My tranny is out of a 98 avenger. It now has 50k on it.

KLIPZEDMar-12-03 03:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
238 posts,
#194, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to Reply # 9

Kinda off topic...but it was mentioned, where would be the best place to set a tranny cooler up? behind the radiator?

Walker
95 Minden Silver Klipz GS A/T
One day my car will be in one piece
AEM CAI, Pacesetter Exhaust, Ported TB, Pro-Kit w/ Tociko Blues, 17" Excel TZ-7s(Gunmetal),SilverNT's rear carpet kit(lovin it), Interfire 1200w amp pushin 2 kicker comp 12's

Joe B SlowMar-12-03 03:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
707 posts,
#195, "RE: couple trany ??? long (long response as always)"
In response to Reply # 10

in front of the radiator. if you have the 97+ front bumper it'd be easiest right there in front.

Formerly Joe B Slow
Hi.

Teamdougie2Mar-12-03 04:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#196, "RE: couple trany ??? long"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-12-03 04:01 PM by dougie2

I haven't read all the posts so don't shoot me if some of this was covered already... just giving you my 2 cents!

>1. Why does mine make a whistle/humming sound if coasting at
>about 30-35?

Does it sound like a spooling turbo? If so, it's normal... otherwise, I don't know.

>2. Why does mine roll backwards if parked on a hill? It never
>did before.

It'll do that too, ATs do that. When you give it some forward acceleration you'll get a nice clunking sound. Dat's bad, push your brake in! It's normal!

>3. Does the tranny have a mysterious 5th/passing gear?
>Sometimes when I mash the gas it will shift and really take
>off, but sometimes it stays in the same gear and moves slower
>than it would if it had just shifted, under the same
>conditions.

That's your torque converter lockup function. Again, it's supposed to do that. It sucks but the only way to change it is a different torque converter with no lockup function. Lockup is when the torque converter stops "slipping" and is fully engaged for cruising. The bad thing is that when you're racing you don't want it to happen because it slows you down. Lift the accelerator a little, real quick, and push it back down. The rpms will jump back up until you get lockup again.

>4. How do u change the all the fluid without removing the tq
>convertor? When i change mine I only get about 1.5-2 gallons
>out, but the manuel says there 9 quarts.

Remove the torque converter or take it to a shop with a special piece of equipment. The torque converter holds a *lot* of fluid!

>5. Are there 2 tranny kits? A valve body and a shift kit.

The TransGo shift kit is a collection of springs, washers, and seals. You pull your valve body and modify it yourself. Not for the average mechanic.

Levelten.com makes a performance modified valve body that is a direct replacement.

>6. Why do I have a small piece of rubber hose splicing one
>tranny line together? It is located right under the radiator,
>but below the bumper and everything.

The small piece of rubber hose between the hard lines is there so you can disconnect the line when pulling the radiator out.

>7. Why do I have 3 different colors in my tranny fluid. Red,
>Black, and Shiny metal, also sometimes white foam.

Red = tranny fluid.
Black = tranny fluid that has lost it's lubicating properties and is worn.
Silver = BAD! It's metal shavings! Somethings starting to wear down!

Change your fluid!

Flush your tranny well. Use ATF+3... it's thicker than +4. Invest in a tranny cooler and external filter. Cross your fingers. Good luck! Hope I couled help.

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Auto Trans- A604 topic #176 Previous topic | Next topic