Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105409
View in linear mode

Subject: "wire tuck" Previous topic | Next topic
BoostedEclipseAug-24-11 09:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105409, "wire tuck"

Not sure this is the appropriate section. Anyways does anyone have experience with either a partial tuck or full wire tuck on a 2gnt? I got the basic concept of it but was looking to get an idea on what is the best way to run the wires. I'm going to do a write up on it for the forum more than likely.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: wire tuck, jdm1990, Aug-24-11 10:54 AM, #1
RE: wire tuck, Slo2g, Aug-24-11 02:37 PM, #2
      RE: wire tuck, JoshDSM, Aug-25-11 08:41 AM, #3
           RE: wire tuck, BoostedEclipse, Aug-25-11 01:07 PM, #4
                RE: wire tuck, Slo2g, Aug-25-11 04:32 PM, #5
                     RE: wire tuck, JoshDSM, Aug-25-11 08:10 PM, #6
                          RE: wire tuck, Slo2g, Aug-26-11 07:49 AM, #7
                               RE: wire tuck, mreigle, Sep-11-11 01:33 PM, #8
                                    RE: wire tuck, JoshDSM, Sep-11-11 02:03 PM, #9
                                    RE: wire tuck, mreigle, Sep-11-11 02:55 PM, #10
                                    RE: wire tuck, BoostedEclipse, Sep-11-11 08:37 PM, #11
                                    RE: wire tuck, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-12-11 06:07 PM, #15
                                         RE: wire tuck, BoostedEclipse, Sep-13-11 02:22 PM, #16
                                    RE: wire tuck, ez, Sep-12-11 12:19 AM, #12
                                         RE: wire tuck, dalesmitsu, Sep-12-11 04:30 AM, #13
                                              RE: wire tuck, JoshDSM, Sep-12-11 12:05 PM, #14
                                                   RE: wire tuck, Slo2g, Sep-13-11 04:51 PM, #17
                                                   RE: wire tuck, mreigle, Sep-13-11 05:36 PM, #18

jdm1990Aug-24-11 10:54 AM
Member since Jun 19th 2010
76 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#105410, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 0

Would definitly like some info on this topic aswell. My car has a half-ass'd one right now but definitly room for improvement.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Slo2gAug-24-11 02:37 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#105411, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, but the major factor is do you have the OEM ecu still? If you do it is still possible but will DRASTICLY increase the amount of wiring needed. I don't have the factory ecu in my car and it was/is pretty easy to do, just time consuming. The battery is relocated to where ever you want to move it to then the fuse box(for where most people want it) is flipped so its in the drivers side fender. They way I did mine is actually move it right under the blower motor on the passenger side. I have a few pics I could snap tonight for you to get a visual but its pretty much self explanitory, cut the wires and lable each one, then move the fuse box to where you want it, then connect each wire back. Its not hard, just time consuming!

JoshDSMAug-25-11 08:41 AM
Member since Aug 29th 2010
69 posts,
#105413, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 2

Slo please post pics. I am wanting to try this when I do my swap.

BoostedEclipseAug-25-11 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#105414, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 3

You're right. If I was doing the wiring for Megasquirt it would probably go a little smoother. In my case though I have the Portfueler setup and I have always hated the way the factory ecu, fuse box and harnesses looked the the engine bay. I'm no expert in this at all but like I said I get the concept. I figured the removing, relocating and soldering would just be hella time consuming. I've seen on the internet just recently where 2gnt owners were getting interested in the whole wire tuck and shaving the engine look. Like I said I'm definately going to do it and move the fuse box inside the cab or on the firewall. I will take pics and document the whole process and hopefully do a write up on it.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

Slo2gAug-25-11 04:32 PM
1074 posts,
#105415, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 4

These are some old pics of it, I'll snap some better ones tonight when I get home from work!

JoshDSMAug-25-11 08:10 PM
69 posts,
#105416, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 5

I need to learn how to do this. Now do I have to remove the dash? and how do I route the wires to get the tucked look. I understand that i have to go through the fender, then thats where I get confused.

Slo2gAug-26-11 07:49 AM
1074 posts,
#105417, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by JoshDSM
I need to learn how to do this. Now do I have to remove the dash? and how do I route the wires to get the tucked look. I understand that i have to go through the fender, then thats where I get confused.

You don't HAVE to remove the dash but it will make routing the wire alot easier. I removed my dash for routing and mounting options for the fuse box. I originally wanted to put the fuse box behind the radio but I wouldn't fit like I wanted to I decided to move it over some. All that does is get rid of the fuse box, the way the engine harness comes through the firewall is a good start but you still need to run it under the intake manifold and what not to acheive that tucked look. I personally don't care if my engine harness shows or not. My original plan was to stick a 4" intake where the fuse box was so I needed to move it, but now I have other plans that does not allow me to stick an intake on that side of the motor.

mreigleSep-11-11 01:33 PM
Member since Jun 21st 2006
426 posts,
#105457, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 7

Megasquirt install with fuse box under driver's headlight. I did not have to do any work under the dash except for MS installation and battery relocation. I found it necessary to upgrade my ground wires and change some ground locations. The main part of the harness that usually runs over then trans on the frame is tucked through the wheel well. I relocated relays and other items under the cowl deleting the windshield wipers.

JoshDSMSep-11-11 02:03 PM
69 posts,
#105458, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 8

Man that looks awesome! So How did you route the fuse box to under the headlight. And mods to the box so water does not get in? And you said you didnt have to pull the dash (which I do not want to do) so can you tell me how to do it as far as what wires route to the fenders etc. I know I am sounding dumb but I search all the time and the only threads are on hondas :/

mreigleSep-11-11 02:55 PM
426 posts,
#105459, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-11-11 02:55 PM by mreigle

Man that looks awesome! So How did you route the fuse box to under the headlight. And mods to the box so water does not get in? And you said you didnt have to pull the dash (which I do not want to do) so can you tell me how to do it as far as what wires route to the fenders etc. I know I am sounding dumb but I search all the time and the only threads are on hondas :/

Please schedule some downtime because this is not a weekend project. I would not suggest this project unless you have a good working knowledge of how the electrical in the 420a works.

Do you have a stock ECU? Manual Trans?

BoostedEclipseSep-11-11 08:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#105460, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-12-11 06:07 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by mreigle
http://www.memoryfoam.us/images/enginebay2010.JP G Megasquirt install with fuse box under driver's headlight. I did not have to do any work under the dash except for MS installation and battery relocation. I found it necessary to upgrade my ground wires and change some ground locations. The main part of the harness that usually runs over then trans on the frame is tucked through the wheel well. I relocated relays and other items under the cowl deleting the windshield wipers.

I know Im changing the subject, but what fittings did you use for the thermostat housing to the turbo?

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

AdministratorCODE4Sep-12-11 06:07 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#105464, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 11
Sep-12-11 06:09 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by BoostedEclipse
Originally posted by mreigle http://www.memoryfoam.us/images/enginebay2010.JP G Megasquirt install with fuse box under driver's headlight. I did not have to do any work under the dash except for MS installation and battery relocation. I found it necessary to upgrade my ground wires and change some ground locations. The main part of the harness that usually runs over then trans on the frame is tucked through the wheel well. I relocated relays and other items under the cowl deleting the windshield wipers.
I know Im changing the subject, but what fittings did you use for the thermostat housing to the turbo?

Search the Wiki.

http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Waterneck_Heater_Hose_Conversion

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
There's one other 420a besides yours mreigle that has an amazing clean engine bay and wire tuck. I forgot his username but he has a white 2gb talon turbo panda.

You are thinking of Amit's Talon, username is taclipse.

---

2012 2500HD LML

BoostedEclipseSep-13-11 02:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#105465, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 15

Search the Wiki. http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Waterneck_Heater_Hose_Conversion

I forgot the wiki had a writeup. Lost my bookmarks on my old laptop.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

ezSep-12-11 12:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#105461, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 8

Good lawd that's a beautiful engine bay!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

dalesmitsuSep-12-11 04:30 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#105462, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 12
Sep-12-11 04:31 AM by dalesmitsu

There's one other 420a besides yours mreigle that has an amazing clean engine bay and wire tuck.

I forgot his username but he has a white 2gb talon turbo panda.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

JoshDSMSep-12-11 12:05 PM
69 posts,
#105463, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 13

Yes I have the stock ecu and manual trans

Slo2gSep-13-11 04:51 PM
1074 posts,
#105466, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 14

The stock ecu is gonna make this a tedious project, I for one am actually contemplating even keeping the fusebox under the hood and just getting a relay/power distribution center and running my own relays and fuse. I have my relocate about done but for cleanliness I'm thinking of going with my own stuff.

mreigleSep-13-11 05:36 PM
426 posts,
#105467, "RE: wire tuck"
In response to Reply # 14

Yes, the stock ECU is going to make it much more difficult than what I had to do. Mine is a stand alone MS system and I took a lot of wiring out that would normally go to the stock ecu.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior topic #105409 Previous topic | Next topic