Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2246
View in linear mode

Subject: "No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
gilee_8Jul-18-06 01:29 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2246, "No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
Jul-18-06 03:16 PM by gilee_8

Sup guys.
I recieved all the parts I need to setup Megasquirt on my eclipse today, the parts are: FPR, injectors, MS-I chip, the Stimulator, and the relay board.
I already got the MS-II v3.0 last year.

So today I assembled the stimulator and try to test the MS v3.0 board with the MS-I chip on it.

Everything was good until I test the processor.
I tested the Power, all good. I tested the Communication part, all good. (the text I typed echo back to my hyperterminal)
Then I move on to the testing of the processor. (Step 40 for V3 board assembly guide)
I installed Megatune 2.25 on my laptop, and I set my serial port to com2. (I am using the dual serial port PC card)

I plug in my stimulator to the MS, and I connect the Serial cable, and I start up the Megatune.

I went into MTconfig.exe, but since I am not using MS-II chip, I don't have to config much right? also the MS-I chip should include the fireware already correct? (how do I check if I need to update the firmware?)

When Megatune first start, I get an error which it stated it usually a serious error, and it said it expect 0x14 but in result is 0x2?? something like that.
And after I close the dialog box for the above message.
I see all the gauges are CRAZY!, I go into tunning->realtime and all the bars in there are CRAZY too.

At the main screen of the megatune, I see the reset counter at the bottom right corner keep counting up and up (each time it Beeps). is that mean the Megasquirt system is being reseted constantly?
I recorded 2 video, one for the megastune screen, one for realtime screen.
http://www.rpi.edu/~leeg2/Megatune.wmv (870KB)
http://www.rpi.edu/~leeg2/Realtime.wmv (950KB)
(I just updated the movie file to make them alot smaller)

I have no clue what I can do now to fix the problem.
So I just put things aside now, and I hope some of you guys here might had this problem before and can point me to the right direction!

Thanks alot guys in advance!
Gilbert

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-18-06 03:11 PM, #1
RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, gilee_8, Jul-18-06 03:21 PM, #2
      RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-19-06 03:03 AM, #3
           RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, gilee_8, Jul-19-06 06:23 AM, #4
                RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, rs-pssst, Jul-19-06 01:26 PM, #5
                     RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, Teamner947, Jul-19-06 03:54 PM, #6
                          RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, gilee_8, Jul-19-06 06:05 PM, #7
                               RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, Teamner947, Jul-20-06 05:58 AM, #8
                                    RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt, gilee_8, Jul-25-06 05:11 PM, #9
I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?), gilee_8, Jul-25-06 06:00 PM, #10
RE: I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?), TeamXtremeRS, Jul-25-06 06:18 PM, #11
      RE: I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?), gilee_8, Jul-26-06 05:38 AM, #12
           Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19, gilee_8, Jul-26-06 08:17 AM, #13
                RE: Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-26-06 09:29 AM, #14
                     RE: Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19, gilee_8, Jul-26-06 05:43 PM, #15
                     The 029q2.s19 failed!, gilee_8, Jul-26-06 06:40 PM, #16
                          RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-27-06 01:57 AM, #17
                               RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 02:57 AM, #18
                                    RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-27-06 05:20 AM, #19
                                         RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 09:44 AM, #20
                                         How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 09:55 AM, #21
                                              RE: How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-27-06 10:13 AM, #22
                                                   RE: How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 11:00 AM, #23
                                                   I am going insane!!!, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 11:08 AM, #24
                                                        RE: I am going insane!!!, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-27-06 01:50 PM, #25
                                                             RE: I am going insane!!!, gilee_8, Jul-27-06 02:46 PM, #26
                                                             OK, This might give hints on why this is happening! Help., gilee_8, Jul-27-06 08:05 PM, #27
                                                                  RE: OK, This might give hints on why this is happening! Help., TeamXtremeRS, Jul-28-06 03:31 AM, #28
                                                                       It's working!, gilee_8, Jul-28-06 01:29 PM, #29
Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!, gilee_8, Jul-28-06 01:32 PM, #30
RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!, TeamXtremeRS, Jul-28-06 02:39 PM, #31
      RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!, gilee_8, Jul-28-06 03:23 PM, #32
      The Solution for Serial port...., gilee_8, Jul-31-06 05:10 AM, #33
      RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!, Teamner947, Jul-31-06 08:07 AM, #34
           RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!, gilee_8, Jul-31-06 10:47 AM, #35

TeamXtremeRSJul-18-06 03:11 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2247, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-18-06 03:14 PM by XtremeRS

The MS kit/processor comes with just the standard MS code, "bowling&grippo" MS 1 code. You need to configure the Megatune 2.25 to read that version of code. You will want to run the "extra" series of code, which you need to find the latest stable realease version. You should have downloaded and installed the Megatune Configurator program, which is where you can configure megatune to use different versions of code. For example, MS1, MS Extra, ect..So for now, until you are ready to load the "extra" verson of code into the processor, just configure your megatune to read the basic MS1 code, which is all you need to see if the MS works and powers up. There is tons of info at msefi.com on how to load the "extra" series of code into the processor, it may be easier to you if you read up on it, rather than trying to explain it to you over here..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gilee_8Jul-18-06 03:21 PM
1441 posts,
#2248, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 1

OK, Thanks alot for the quick reply.

I did ran the Megatune configurator program before I start Megatune.
And I picked the MS-I -- Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt-I from the CODE_VARIANT.

So is that what you mean by I should pick?
I just want to see if I made my Megasquirt setup correctly or not.
And I thought the MS-I chip is pre-loaded the standard code in there.
And so that's why I picked the above option in CODE_VARIANT.

Should I pick something else?
Thanks!

Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-19-06 03:03 AM
6329 posts,
#2250, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

YOu have the correct variant chosen. When you load up the extra code, you have to select "msns extra" from the code list instead, which is what you need to run fuel and spark on the 420a.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-19-06 06:23 AM
1441 posts,
#2252, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

OK.
But for now, I won't run spark yet, so I won't load the extra code until I run the spark.

But for now, the gauge and information shown in the realtime window is all crazy. things just keep bouncing around, and keep reseting every second. So is that normal?

Thanks.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

rs-pssstJul-19-06 01:26 PM
Member since Nov 13th 2004
158 posts,
#2253, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 4

Sounds ok to me. Things will look random without input/output circuits wired up on the board.

keep pluggin away.

Teamner947Jul-19-06 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2254, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

If you have the Stimulator and it is healthy and hooked up, nothing should be bouncing around. You should see the uptime climb to 255 then go back to 0, continuing back to 255... if it doesn't do this, you have work to do before you hook it to an actual engine.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

gilee_8Jul-19-06 06:05 PM
1441 posts,
#2256, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 6

OK, so there should be something wrong on my circuit on the MS board that I should check? yes, the time is SO fast, I cannot even see what number is on there. just bounce around.

Like the Batt v also. sometimes I see it bounce to like 29, or even 3x. It cannot be right. none of the value make sense.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Teamner947Jul-20-06 05:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2258, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 7

Sounds like you have some debugging to do. Do you have a scope? check the 5 volt supply, the main clock (crystal), assorted bypass capacitors, etc... who built it? The instructions on the main MS site has a lot of good information on what order to build the board, testing each component before you build the next one.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

gilee_8Jul-25-06 05:11 PM
1441 posts,
#2284, "RE: No clue, I need help for connecting Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 8

I built it.

I checked everything.. Everything is good up to Step 40.

Here is more information on what I got today.

What I was saying about when I connect the MS unit to the MegaTune program, it will output an error message about expected and result value is different, I just printscreened the message and here it is:

As you can see in the pic also, the gauges are all bouncing around crazy. Same as the movie I posted above!.

Please give me advice on this!
Thanks all.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-25-06 06:00 PM
1441 posts,
#2285, "I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?)"
In response to Reply # 0

Sup guys.

I got the solution to fix this problem.
But I really don't understand why.

I used MegaTune 2.1.4 verison, and it works fine with my Megasquirt!
Everything is perfect and things are just working the way they should be.

So I try MegaTune 2.2.0 verison, and it kinda freakout at the first 2 second. (like all gauges go crazy) But then after that it is normal. And in the beginning when I start the program, it output a message saying the .ini file might be not compatible, and I click OK and it still works ok after the first 2 second.

Then I re-try MegaTune 2.2.5 verison, and it's back to before. I got the same result. a dialog pop out saying the "controller code verison doesn't match.... " (as I attached the pic in previous post) and of course, all gauges go insane.

So now I want to know, What should I do to fix this problem?
Or can this problem be fixed? is it that MS-I cannot use newer version of MegaTune? Am I stuck with 2.1.4 or 2.2.0? Or am I missing something here where I can update the Megasquirt??

Any sugguests or tips will be greatful!

Thanks alot.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-25-06 06:18 PM
6329 posts,
#2286, "RE: I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?)"
In response to Reply # 10
Jul-25-06 06:26 PM by XtremeRS

Ok, you want the Megatune 2.25 release version, which looks like thats what you have there. Now, you want to get the "Msns extra" series of code, just get the latest stable release, version 029q2. After you get this zip file, extract it to a new folder, or where ever you want really, then in that zip file is the 029q2 code file, the ".s19" file. This is what gets uploaded to the MS processor. Now, once you get that loaded in the processor, you need to configure Megatune to read that code type, so you dont get that error screen. In that zip file should be a file with the extension and name: "msns-extra.ini" This is the configuration file that is CODE SPECIFIC, and Megatune NEEDS this file for it to function with the code correctly. You need to copy this .ini file to the megatune car specific directory. They make this easy to do, with a file in the zip that you extracted, you will find a "copyini.bat" file. Just click this file, and it will automatically copy the ini file to the megatune directory. If this still does not work, you may have to copy it maually.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-26-06 05:38 AM
1441 posts,
#2289, "RE: I believe I found out the problem (but why and how?)"
In response to Reply # 11

Thanks alot Xtreme.
I will try that out tonight.
Hopefully everything goes well, and I will put in my Megasquirt this weekend!

Thanks!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-26-06 08:17 AM
1441 posts,
#2290, "Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19"
In response to Reply # 12

I went to http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/ and click on the "download latest" on the top of the page.
and got this 029q2.zip file.

But I just have a question. I know for the MS-I, there is assembly code rewritten for our 420A Crank Position Sensor.
So do I just get the general 029q2 firmware will be good?
or do I need to get something special that is modified just for our 420A engine (coz the of CPS) ??

Thanks alot!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-26-06 09:29 AM
6329 posts,
#2293, "RE: Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19"
In response to Reply # 13

All of the "extra" series of firmware contains the 420a crank decoder. You MUST select this in Megatune though on the main screen. You have to go through all of the drop down settings to be sure they are all set properly as well.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-26-06 05:43 PM
1441 posts,
#2296, "RE: Hey XtremeRS, about the 029q2.s19"
In response to Reply # 14

Cool, Want to confirm that!
Sweet... thanks alot! I think everything should be good to go now!
Thanks alot!

And thanks for all the help everyone.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-26-06 06:40 PM
1441 posts,
#2297, "The 029q2.s19 failed!"
In response to Reply # 14

Sup guys.
I got home tonite after work.
So I try to load the new firmware to the MS.

I followed the instructions similar to this page:
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup.html

and I got the newest 029q2.zip file, in there I double clicked the download-firmware.bat file and it sent 1752lines of code to the MS.

I reboot it, I also went into Megatune and activated the new megasquirtextra.ini.29q file and set the code Variant to MSNSextra.

But now, my MS cannot even connect to the megatune. But a bit different from before, now the gauges don't even bounce around. just nothing happenned .. seems like everything is not connected.

But when I try to go to tuning->realtime, the following dialog box popped out. and it's very similar to the previous message.

Can someone pleaes point me to the right direction?
Did I missed something?
Can someone please give me a step by step process on how to get this to work with Megatune?

Thanks alot guys!
Sorry, I don't understand why I get stucked at this for suck a long and painful time!

Thanks and I hope I get this working soon.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-27-06 01:57 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2298, "RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!"
In response to Reply # 16

did you copy the INI file into Megatune after you loaded the firmware into the MS?

Terry

gilee_8Jul-27-06 02:57 AM
1441 posts,
#2299, "RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!"
In response to Reply # 17

Yup, I tried manually, and I clicked on the copyini.exe file as well.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-27-06 05:20 AM
6329 posts,
#2300, "RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!"
In response to Reply # 18

Ok, what code was the processor programmed with when you got it? Where did you get the MS kit? Was it built and modded for you, or did you just get a basic MS kit that you put together? All of the unbuilt kits come with the basic MS , fuel only code programmed into the processor. You CANNOT use the "download firmware bat" file to load the new firmware .s19 file for the first time. You can only use that bat file if you are upgrading from another "extra" version of firmware code. You will need to use the "boot jumper", which is 2 small holes on the PCB, which need to be electrically connected together in order to enter program mode in the MS. I just used a small toggle switch, and soldered the wire leads to the 2 holes in the PCB. The board is clearly marked by the holes, "boot". After you get it connected how you want it, you need to electrically connect those boot holes together(even a small paperclip may work), and then power up the MS. You can then use hyperterminal, or easytherm to load the new 029q2 .s19 file into the processor. Once this is done, you can then either use the copy ini bat file, or manually copy/paste the ini file to your CAR SPECIFIC directory, just read the top of the notes in the ini file itself. Once you do this, then if you want to upgrade codes in the future, you dont have to use the boot jumper anymore, you can use the download firmware bat file instead. I dont know why its like this, but thats what the notes say in the readme file..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-27-06 09:44 AM
1441 posts,
#2302, "RE: The 029q2.s19 failed!"
In response to Reply # 19

I got the kit from DIYautotune.come. (last year)
I just got the MS-I CPU chip 2-3 weeks ago from DIYAutotune.com

I got it as a kit, and I have to assemble it myself. I will consider myself an expert in soldering, so that won't be a problem for me.

So ok, I believe I got the basic MS on my chip, so you mean, I cannot use the download-firmware.bat if I am upgrading from basic to extra code? So I have to use hyperterminal?

Also, you saying, if I upgrade from extra to a newer extra code, I don't need the boot jumper to be on? only when I am upgrading from basic to extra code??

Thanks.

BTW, I soldered a switch to the boot jumper also.

Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-27-06 09:55 AM
1441 posts,
#2303, "How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?"
In response to Reply # 19
Jul-27-06 09:55 AM by gilee_8

Sup guys, I want to try using the hyperterminal instead of the download-firmware.bat to upload the new firmware to the MS-I chip.

But I was at the megasquirt site, and I am trying to click on the link that will direct me to how to use hyperterminal, but the link is dead.

Here is the link: http://www.megasquirt.info/manual/mapp.htm#embed

Does anyone know how to use it?

Thanks alot!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-27-06 10:13 AM
6329 posts,
#2304, "RE: How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?"
In response to Reply # 21

From the MS website:

"Here are instructions for using Hyperterm.exe for updating the embedded software (all Windows installations has the Hyperterminal application - use a "find-file" function to search for "hypertrm.exe"):

# For Version V1.01 boards, short out the bootloader resistor (R6) on the board, for Version 2.2 put on th Bootloader jumper pin, hook upa serial cable from the computer to the MS box, and fire up Hyperterminal (Hypertrm.exe). You do not use the PC Configurator to perform the firmware upload - this is done with the terminal program Hyperterm (or similar, see below), and do not havePC Configurator, MegaTune, or any other serial data application running on your PC. At this point, leave the MS unit unpowered.

# You will see a Hyperterminal screen when you execute - type in any name you want in the box, and make sure the Red telephone with the little yellow telephone next to it is highlighted.

# Now, a new screen appears. On the "Connect Using" selection, select either COM1 or COM2, depending on your serial connection.

# New screen with comm port settings pops up. Select 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and set flow control to "None" - this is very important.

# Hyperterm terminal screen is now up. Apply power to the MS board, then hit . You should see the "Boot>" prompt appear in the terminal screen. Type "H" and you will be shown the options available in bootloader mode.

# Hit "W" for "Wipe" - this erases the entire flash array (except the section running the bootloader).

# Hit "P" for "Program," which will respond with the text "wait ...". Then under the "Transfer" menu, select "Send Text File..." (do not use the "Send file" mode - you are sending a text file). Set "Files of type" to "All files" and select the .s19 file containing your assembled code (megasquirt.s19).

# You will see no activity on the screen for about 40 seconds. Then the prompt will come back, which means the operation is finished. Turn off power to MS and shut down Hyperterminal. Remove the jumper, and you are ready to go.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-27-06 11:00 AM
1441 posts,
#2305, "RE: How do I use Hyperterminal to upload firmware?"
In response to Reply # 22

so I should type in "P" for program???

Somehow 2 out of 6 times trying, I can get the stupid hyperterminal to connect to my MS. retarded.
And I tried with "U", and it finished flashing, but it's still messed up when I try to connect to Megasquirt. this is what I got!

Look at the "recieved" section of the controller code. completely MESSED UP!

So I should do PROGRAM, not UPGRADE after the wipe???

Thanks again.

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-27-06 11:08 AM
1441 posts,
#2306, "I am going insane!!!"
In response to Reply # 22

I am going nutz... I already spent the past 4 nights trying to get the MS to connect to Megatune, and it just won't work other then the only time I got it working was when I was using basic MS code with 2.14 Megatune... WHAT IS HAPPENING???

I just tried doing "P" for programming and it definitely turns out BETTER. instead of those crazy Letters at the "Recieved: 0x..... (from Controller" now it's more like a normal number. 0x19.

But still, it's not the same as the Megatune. ????

What is wrong???

Here is what I got now. look at the red circled area!

Thanks for your help so far XtremeRS. but I need more help! thx.
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-27-06 01:50 PM
6329 posts,
#2307, "RE: I am going insane!!!"
In response to Reply # 24
Jul-27-06 01:57 PM by XtremeRS

Ok, well since you are having issues with hyperterminal, you can use a program called, EasyTherm. Its a bit easier to use. Download it here:

http://www.megamanual.com/EasyTherm_Full_Install.zip

Once you get easytherm loaded, you are ready to load up the .s19 code file from the 029q2 unzipped files folder. BE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR COM PORT YOU ARE USING!! You MUST know the com port number when connecting your MS to the computer, and this software program needs to know this as well.

1. Open Easytherm
2. At the bottom of the easytherm window, you will see the drop down for the correct com port, so select your com port number
3. Slightly up and to the right side of the window, you will see "code version", and from here you select, "custom"
4. Now, power up your MS, WITH THE BOOT LOADER PINS SHORTED TOGETHER, OR USING A SWITCH, whatever you have done in order to get into boot mode.
5. Now hit the button at the bottom of the window, "download to megasquirt", and a screen pops up, which is where you will need to find the 029q2 .s19 file. Once you find the .s19 file, open it, and it will take it from there. Just follow the onscreen messages. It does take several minutes for the upload to complete, so be patient.

once its all done, turn off power to the MS, and dissconnect/turn switch off from the "boot" loader pins on the MS board.

Now in order for Megatune to read this new code, the proper configuration file(extra.ini) needs to be in your car project folder, the one MT will be reading when you open MT.

Its easy to use the "megatune Configurator" program to help with this a bit. If you dont have it, download it and use it!
1. Open MT configurator program
2. At the top, click "project", then "new"
3. Name your new project to whatever you want, anything other than "car 1"
4. Now your new project will show on the left side there, with the plus signs next to it. Click the plus sign next to your project you just named.
5. click the "settings.ini" plus sign
6. Now you will see "settings", and on the right side of your screen, will be all the variants you need to configure.
7. Click on the first thing you see on the left under the settings, which will be, "code variant". You will notice that on the very top of the screen will be a white window, with a drop down at the very rightmost part of the screen. Hit the drop down, and select" msns extra".
8. Next, click on "idle controller" from the left side again, just like the last time. Again, go to the topmost dropdown to select what you want. The first setting is fine for idle controller.
9. "lamda sensor" - If you are using a wideband, see if its in the list there, and select it.
10. "lamda" - leave alone
11. fueling algorithm - leave alone
12. Pretty much everything else should remain at the default values, except your map sensor type, assuming you UPGRADED with a map sensor, OTHER than what was supplied in the kit. The supplied map is a 2.5 bar. Its the MPX4250, 250 kpa sensor.
13. When you are done, go to "file", then hit "save". Exit the configurator.

Now for that .ini file. Go to your 029q2 unzipped folder with all of the 029q2 files in it, and find the " msns-extra.ini" file. It should be 181kb in size. Right click over that file, and hit "copy". Now you need to go to the megatune directory file in the Megatune program file directory.
1. Right click "start" from windows, then hit " explore"
Go to C drive, "program files", then "megasquirt"
2. depending on how you have this setup, you should see a folder somewhere named, "Megatune 2.25" with a plus sign next to it. Hit the plus sign
3. You will see a folder, "mtCfg" then just click on it to view the folder contents. THIS IS WHERE YOU WANT TO PUT THE "EXTRA.INI" FILE! If you right clicked and copied it correctly from earlier, right click again, and hit "paste". A warning will come up, and you want to REPLACE THE FILE with your new one you are putting in there. Thats it!
Close it all out, and open up Megatune. You will see a small screen come up, and select your project name. MT will come up, and it should be reading your MS properly when its powered up.

I took you through the manual way to copy the .ini file to the megatune directory, as i have had issues with the "copy ini.bat" file not doing the job correctly. This way, you know the file is in the proper directory. If it still doesnt work, then either you did something wrong, or somethign with the MS isnt right..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-27-06 02:46 PM
1441 posts,
#2308, "RE: I am going insane!!!"
In response to Reply # 25

Thank you for the long post and help!
I greatly appreciated!

Sadly, it is still exactly the same.
It is still outputing the "9<==ACFHK4779<==ACFHK;<<ABFFFHJMP=?AAD..." the code version obtained from the controller.

I really don't understand why. I tried it 2 times on what you did already.

So do you think my MS has a problem?
But if I use 2.14 version of MegaTune with the basic MS code. it works perfectly thou. even 2.20 it works too.

So can that be still my Hardware of MS doesn't work?

Why this has to happen to me.... Arr.....

Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-27-06 08:05 PM
1441 posts,
#2309, "OK, This might give hints on why this is happening! Help."
In response to Reply # 25
Jul-27-06 08:12 PM by gilee_8

Sup XtremeRS and others,

As I said, I did XtremeRS' complete step by steps (listed above) over again. download the 029q2 firmware to my MS using all methods already, and the last time is using the EasyTherm. Then I also got Megatune 2.25 installed with MTconfig.
I also manually copied over the ini, and went into config to setup all the ini, and setup stuff. (as to step by step of what XtremeRS listed above)

Then Again, as disappointed, I execute the Megatune 2.25, set the correct com port, and stuff, and as before, it will say the controller code is not matching, and shit like that.. basically what I said above again...

Now, to what I have to say in this post. In my most frastruated and hopeless time, I go back and download MT2.20, 2.16, and 2.14. I try each of them as I go further back to older Megatune verison, and VOLA... again, with only 2.14, it works like a charm again. But without me setting up anything. I didn't go into MTconfig into CODE Variant and change MSNS-extra back to MS-I, or did I activate other ini. Anything and everything that I setup when I setup for MT2.25 stayed. I just downloaded MT2.14, go into Megatune, change the Com port to com2, and WOW, it works instantly!! (so exactly what firmware I have in my MS-I chip right now???)

So how come from all the downloads of 029q2 firmware and do this and that, and it still works with 2.14, and but cannot get my MS to work with the newest 2.25 Megatune. Is there any known comptability issues?

Any idea?
If it works fine with 2.14, do you think my MS is hardwarely not right or broken?
Thanks guys.

Any sugguestions will be greatful!
Thanks
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-28-06 03:31 AM
6329 posts,
#2310, "RE: OK, This might give hints on why this is happening! Help."
In response to Reply # 27
Jul-28-06 04:12 AM by XtremeRS

I dont know what the problem is gill...029q2 was meant to work with MT 2.25 so...It works perfect for me Are you waiting long enough for the code to upload to the processor? Is it saying its successful? Are you sure you are shorting the 2 "boot" sections on the board correctly when uploading? Are you powering up the MS while downloading? Are you dissconnecting the boost pins afterward? Almost sounds like the code isnt getting programmed correctly. Are you using a serial port on your computer to upload, or a USB Adaptor? It looks like you are getting the ini file in the correct directory, because the warning message you are getting is saying that MT is expecting 029q2, but its not getting that from the processor. So i think thats fine. It sounds like the code is not either getting programmed right, or not getting programmed at all to the processor. Use a straight serial connection on a desktop computer if you have it, and try again. If it still does not work, then you may have a corrupt bootloader section in your processor. A new processor would be in order to correct that. The bootloader section is not erasable as far as I know, so i dont know. I know others have had issues trying to load code when using a serial to USB adaptor, so use a desktop computer with a serial port to load the code, if you havent tried that already.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-28-06 01:29 PM
1441 posts,
#2311, "It's working!"
In response to Reply # 28
Jul-28-06 01:32 PM by gilee_8

It is working XtremeRS. Thanks you!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-28-06 01:32 PM
1441 posts,
#2312, "Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!"
In response to Reply # 0

Guys! I love you all!!! LOL.

Thank you so much for all your patient and Help XtremeRS.
I am very very greatful for your help!

Man, I am so damn happy now, I don't even know how to explain it!!!

Well, I wasted $50 buying this stupid PC card, and I guess it's either that stupid card, or my laptop.

I will try to find another laptop and see if it will work.

I drove ALL over my area looking for a serial cable, and finally found it in Compusa after 1 hr. (another $25) so expensive man!

I hook it up to my desktop, without doing ANYTHING, I open 2.14, it works like a charm. I open 2.16, 2.20. they all works instantly! (com1 port) (they don't even requires installation)

So I install Megatune 2.25 (the newest) and without setting anything, I open it, again it gives me the same error message about not compatible, but after I click OK, it still WORKS fine!

SO I go even further, (crossing my finger) I follow the steps given by XtremeRS again (by now I actually remember every single step of it, I can say them backward... LOL) (Thanks XtremeRS)

I didn't re-flash my MS yet, but after I setup my Megatune with the new INI (extra code) it works PERFECTLY now!!! I do mean PERFECT!

I will try to re-flash it now and see how it goes..prolly the flashing is not perfect from my own laptop before either.

OK, I am going back to testing, and hook it up to my eclipse tonite!

Thanks again XtremeRS!

Sorry if I am all messed up right now, I am too excited to see it is working!!!

Gilbert

BTW XtremeRS, do you happen to have your basic setup of the tables saved that I can use?

I am currently only running FUEL (no spark) I got 680cc injectors, crank position sensor hooked up. and using LC-1 WBo2 sensor. with relayboard.

Thanks again!
I wan tto get my car Started (if successful) by tonite! thanks all!
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSJul-28-06 02:39 PM
6329 posts,
#2313, "RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!"
In response to Reply # 30
Jul-28-06 02:40 PM by XtremeRS

Glad you finally got it working..Some MS users have had really strange issues using serial to USB adaptors...I use port replicator made by Targus, and its working fine for me. I even tried uploading code with it and it worked, although it didnt work too well using easytherm or the hyperterminal. The download firmware bat file worked fine though. I'll try and get a screen shot of my VE table, but you will have to do a lot of tuning to it anyway. Its tuned for 18 psi and 100 octane unleaded race gas as well.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

gilee_8Jul-28-06 03:23 PM
1441 posts,
#2314, "RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!"
In response to Reply # 31

Thanks alot XtremeRS.
Yeah, well, I didn't try the USB-Serial. I spent $50 buying the 2 ports PCIMCA card for laptop. thought there must work. guess not.

Yeah, I know alot of tuning and learning will be involved.
But I want to at least be able to start it up and move the car. Then I be happy to know everything works and work from there and tune.

Thanks Again man.

When you got it, you can send me the VE table anyway you want. Email, PM, or here is fine!

Thanks
Gilbert

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Jul-31-06 05:10 AM
1441 posts,
#2320, "The Solution for Serial port...."
In response to Reply # 32

Sup guys..
Ok, after I had PAIN for 5 days.
Just so maybe you guys can check this out later on if you hvae problem as well.

I bascially did this on my laptop, and OH YEAH, it's working like a charm.

Just go right click MY COMPUTER, click on Properties, pick the HARDWARE tab, click on DEVICE MANAGER, click on the '+' under the Ports (COM & LPT),

in there, you should see the Serial Port (COMx), the one you want to use for your MS. the one that you installed or added to your laptop or PC. (either USB-Serial, PCIMCA Serial Port, etc...) double cluck on that hardware (port)

And now a new window pops open.
There are two ways.
1) for some computers, it will have a tap called FIFI Buffers, or Advanced Setting
2) for some computers, it is just under the PORT SETTINGS tab, and click on the ADVANCED.. button

Once you in there (TAB<1>, or new page<2>) just UNCHECK the "Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550 compatiable UART)" (don't use it) (UNCHECK IT)

Then try it out again.
Your serial port should work perfectly now =)

The reason is because if this feature is on, it will buffer the data transmitted through the serial port, and when the buffer is full, then write out the data. this is useful if your serial port is very fast, or if the device connected to your serial port is too fast or too slow compare to your serial port. But in our case with MS. it is not. so buffering the data will only corrupts them and make the connection not stable!

Try it. it will help ALOT!

Thanks all again for your help. especially XtremeRS.

Later. back to more tuning and reading
Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Teamner947Jul-31-06 08:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#2321, "RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!"
In response to Reply # 31
Jul-31-06 08:09 AM by ner947

Originally posted by XtremeRS
Glad you finally got it working..Some MS users have had really strange issues using serial to USB adaptors...I use port replicator made by Targus

I've had problems with my Targus adaptor here at my work, it's a PA070. The biggest problems happen in VB.net, it really hates "fake" serial ports. Usually, the data will go out correctly and the device will recieve the right information, but the data coming in is usually garbled. Really strange. I have seen this with Prolific adaptors too. I have heard that FTDI USB to serial devices have much better drivers, but I have no direct experence with them.

Slightly off-topic, what is MegaTune coded in? It almost feels like VB6.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

gilee_8Jul-31-06 10:47 AM
1441 posts,
#2322, "RE: Thank you XtremeRS. I am so damn happy right now!"
In response to Reply # 34

It does seems like visual Basic to me as well.

But any how, did you read my previous post? it fixed the problem really good.

Now I can use it with no problem at all!
Give it a shot with your Targus adaptor. Then we can confirm that setting screw things up (at least for MS)

Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #2246 Previous topic | Next topic