Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117237
View in linear mode

Subject: "BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanFeb-01-01 07:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117237, "BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long"

first of all you may want to open your reply in another window because i asked alot of questions and you cant see the original post when posting a reply, and i hope you can answer all my Q's
ok,the other day i started thinking how convenient it would be if i installed a battery kill switch. i just installed 4 switches behind the shift knob on the console and so far the only one im using is for my neon, so i want to wire another one to the battery so that the battery would not get power unless the switch is on. this is the best anti-theft i can think of in addition to my alarm. so what will i need to do and is it possible electronically? a guy at pep boys said its too risky to do on a late car like ours with so many electronic sensors and all. is this true, or can it be done on a DSM with no problems? and if so here is what i think i would have to do...if i get something wrong or you have a better idea, please post it:
1-disconnect battery cables and move aside
2-attach 2 other battery clamps with attached wire to the battery terminals(what gauge wire?) and run the other end of the wires to one of the switch terminals. (or can i leave the original black (-) battery clamp grounded? do i need to ground the original and one extra clamp?)
3-run the other terminal of the switch to the orignal battery clamp.
4-this way the switch "interrups" the batteries connection to the cars electrical wiring so that it only recieves a current if it goes through the switch while the switch is ON. i know they sell battery kill switches but like everything else i want to do this myself.
5-finally, the switches i have are fairly small (they are 10amp,12volt) is this too low an amp rating? if so, what amp/volt will i need? i dont know the stock requirement. if it was too low and i used it anyway what would happen? just blown fuses???
and also i would have to run the thick gauge wire into a thinner gauge wire before attaching it to the switch because the switch terminals are fairly small, is this ok?
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

if i can get this perfected i think id be the first here to have it done and i will submit the install to the "mods" page

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long [View all] , cyan, Feb-01-01 07:30 PM
  RE: BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long, Teameclipse804, Feb-01-01 08:53 PM, #1
RE: BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-02-01 04:40 AM, #2
EXACTLY..., Skrilla, Feb-03-01 09:38 AM, #3

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117237 Previous topic | Next topic