Go back to previous topic
Forum namePerformance/Engine
Topic subjectBATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=117237&mesg_id=117237
117237, BATTERY KILL SWITCH, can somone advise me on this - long
Posted by cyan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
first of all you may want to open your reply in another window because i asked alot of questions and you cant see the original post when posting a reply, and i hope you can answer all my Q's
ok,the other day i started thinking how convenient it would be if i installed a battery kill switch. i just installed 4 switches behind the shift knob on the console and so far the only one im using is for my neon, so i want to wire another one to the battery so that the battery would not get power unless the switch is on. this is the best anti-theft i can think of in addition to my alarm. so what will i need to do and is it possible electronically? a guy at pep boys said its too risky to do on a late car like ours with so many electronic sensors and all. is this true, or can it be done on a DSM with no problems? and if so here is what i think i would have to do...if i get something wrong or you have a better idea, please post it:
1-disconnect battery cables and move aside
2-attach 2 other battery clamps with attached wire to the battery terminals(what gauge wire?) and run the other end of the wires to one of the switch terminals. (or can i leave the original black (-) battery clamp grounded? do i need to ground the original and one extra clamp?)
3-run the other terminal of the switch to the orignal battery clamp.
4-this way the switch "interrups" the batteries connection to the cars electrical wiring so that it only recieves a current if it goes through the switch while the switch is ON. i know they sell battery kill switches but like everything else i want to do this myself.
5-finally, the switches i have are fairly small (they are 10amp,12volt) is this too low an amp rating? if so, what amp/volt will i need? i dont know the stock requirement. if it was too low and i used it anyway what would happen? just blown fuses???
and also i would have to run the thick gauge wire into a thinner gauge wire before attaching it to the switch because the switch terminals are fairly small, is this ok?
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

if i can get this perfected i think id be the first here to have it done and i will submit the install to the "mods" page
I generated this page in 0.010761022567749 seconds, executing 6 queries.