Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #748
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like)" Previous topic | Next topic
ChamukoJun-04-03 09:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#818, "RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like)"
In response to In response to 28

well here is a conversation I had with Dino, I hope he doesnt mind, if you do Dino and you read this please delete this..

razorsharkusa: estimated price?
Dark0ne95: Same as a PG.. $300
razorsharkusa: damn
razorsharkusa: serious?
Dark0ne95: yeap.
razorsharkusa: whats the basic theory behind it...better right? no danger of metal to metal grinding
Dark0ne95: It's still a stock diff, just a better LSD design than a pg.
razorsharkusa: oh so we have to use our own
razorsharkusa: "??
Dark0ne95: a PG "locks" by applying metal-on-metal pressure.
razorsharkusa: exactly
Dark0ne95: there's no friction aid, just really high PSI coil springs and direct pressure.
razorsharkusa: uhm.,.. not all that difficult to install
razorsharkusa: compared to the pg?
razorsharkusa: sorry if this is bugging ya , just really interested now
Dark0ne95: This unit uses machined planetary gears and a specially designed friction material to more efficiently grip.
Dark0ne95: less slip at lower spring pressures, making is safer to use for higher HP applications.
Dark0ne95: You see, when the PG uses a 1200lb coilspring to apply metal-to-metal pressure, that's 1200lbs of force that is stressing on the diff housing itself, which can lead to failure.
razorsharkusa: yet still usable for lower boost pressure users?
razorsharkusa: i see
razorsharkusa: how often is the expected lifespan for the friction material?
Dark0ne95: This unit, which uses a special friction material to grab the planetary gears, can use much less spring pressure to afford the same if not better grip, leading to less stress on the dif itself.
Dark0ne95: years.
Dark0ne95: If you're interested, i can give you Carlton's email address.
Dark0ne95: The name of the company is RLS. My contact there is Carlton McCrary.
razorsharkusa: of course
razorsharkusa: and we are going to be ordering directly from him?
razorsharkusa: im on the waiting list...
Dark0ne95: #########@hotmail.com
Dark0ne95: he actually has a spare core diff right now that i sent him. Qwad is buying one as well.
razorsharkusa: and you are happy with the results
?
Dark0ne95: Very.
razorsharkusa: ok so we receive the diff send our stocker back?
Dark0ne95: it's a night and day difference.. i still spin lots of tire, but the car goes STRAIGHT.
Dark0ne95: and in the corners.. omg.
razorsharkusa: hehe wish i could do that
razorsharkusa: i thought that you would wnat one tire to spin more then the other in a corner
razorsharkusa: or am i wrong?
Dark0ne95: Well, you may be able to work it out with him to use the spare core i sent him, and sent him your stocker, or you could buy it as a kit and just have the planetary gears machined down to take the lsd unit.
razorsharkusa: so we have to have the gears machined
?
Dark0ne95: You do, so the wheels won't bind up. However, it'll corner like stock until you stand on it. When it gets enough torque split to apply pressure on the planetaries, it just grips, noses down, and rips you through the corner.
razorsharkusa: ok cool Ill talk to him then.
Dark0ne95: The planetaries, where the axles go through, have to be machined flat.
Dark0ne95: He'll do it, if you send him a diff, or if you can work it out to use the spare i sent him.
razorsharkusa: oh one more thing...are the AT and MT diffs exchangeable?
razorsharkusa: i have an AT right now. but im working on the MT swap
Dark0ne95: i beleive the diffs themselves are the same, bu the ring gear is different.

see thats whats in my head, Im like a sponge. But I also go with what is proven ( and cheap). But for a bit more why not go for this? still less then 1K and suppose to work better then the PG. In theory.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like) [View all] , TeamJasonESi_T, May-25-03 03:36 PM
  RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), TeamAvenger, May-25-03 07:47 PM, #1
RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), HadesOmega, May-26-03 10:49 PM, #2
      RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), Jasvb TS2K2, May-27-03 05:47 AM, #3
           RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), HadesOmega, May-27-03 10:47 PM, #4
                Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamAvenger, May-28-03 09:12 AM, #5
                     RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamJasonESi_T, May-28-03 11:31 AM, #6
                          RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, 2g99RSNC, May-28-03 11:37 AM, #7
                               RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, HadesOmega, May-28-03 05:01 PM, #8
                                    RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamJasonESi_T, May-28-03 06:30 PM, #9
                                         RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, HadesOmega, May-28-03 09:30 PM, #10
                                              RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamMichael_97RS, May-29-03 05:42 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamAvenger, May-29-03 07:04 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamXtremeRS, May-29-03 04:48 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamJasonESi_T, May-29-03 06:25 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, 2g99RSNC, May-29-03 06:39 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamJasonESi_T, May-30-03 04:22 AM, #16
                                                                            RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, mkerley, Jun-01-03 03:53 PM, #17
                                                                                 RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, Chamuko, Jun-01-03 05:27 PM, #18
                                                                                      RE: Yes They are FINALLY off of backorder. Mine is in the mail!!!, TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-01-03 06:02 PM, #20
RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), 2g99RSNC, Jun-01-03 06:01 PM, #19
RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), Jasvb TS2K2, Jun-01-03 06:07 PM, #21
      RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), grain, Jun-02-03 02:16 AM, #22
           RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), PowerEclipses, Jun-03-03 05:18 AM, #23
                RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), TeamXtremeRS, Jun-03-03 06:56 AM, #24
                     RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), 2g99RSNC, Jun-03-03 09:09 AM, #25
                     RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), TeamJasonESi_T, Jun-03-03 12:56 PM, #26
                          RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), Teamner947, Jun-03-03 01:22 PM, #27
                               RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), TeamXtremeRS, Jun-03-03 02:02 PM, #28
                                    RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), Chamuko, Jun-04-03 09:05 PM #29
                                         RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), HadesOmega, Jun-08-03 11:52 AM, #30
                                              RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), TeamMuRiX, Jun-09-03 12:57 AM, #31
                                                   RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), DSBLK93GT, Jun-11-03 08:16 PM, #32
                                                        RE: some initial impressions with the NewSkool LSD(Phantom Grip look-a-like), Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-12-03 08:09 AM, #33
Mine is finally in, TeamAvenger, Jun-21-03 09:23 PM, #34
RE: Mine is finally in, mkerley, Jun-22-03 04:32 AM, #35
      RE: Mine is finally in, Teametx, Jul-22-03 09:35 AM, #36
           RE: Mine is finally in, ez, Jul-28-03 10:05 AM, #37
                RE: Mine is finally in, mitsudsr, Aug-05-03 09:50 AM, #38
Update: My Impressions of the SID, Matt_95tgs, Aug-10-03 06:31 PM, #39

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #748 Previous topic | Next topic