Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #54222
View in threaded mode

Subject: "4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo" This topic is locked.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic
CrazyEclipseAug-18-03 08:44 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
2503 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54222, "4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"

Here's the sit:
I have a 1998 Eclipse with almost 95,000 miles on it. Bought it 2 years ago with 80,000. This year has been the year of mods, mainly stereo and little things here and there exterior wise. Performance is a big abyss to me. I have not a clue about any of it. This winter I wanted to re-design the interior, put the body kit on it, ect... but there is that whole engine thing... I had it detailed once, looked mint, 2 weeks later, ugly ass as before.

I've gotten many people's opinions and such about dropping this engine out and swapping it for a 4g63 with a bigger turbo, BOV, intercooler, ect... or just buying the bolt on turbo. Doing the engine swap is what I'm leaning towards doing because putting a turbo on an engine with 95,000 miles raises an eyebrow. I dont know how well the engine will do, since I dont know who owned it before me or what they did to it. I know its a whole lot of work to so the engine swap, but it might be the better of the 2.

If anyone has some input on this, that would be great.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
KirbyAug-18-03 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#54224, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-18-03 09:02 AM by Kirby

If you have money to burn then go ahead and try the swap. Before you post this stuff though you should really search, as this ? has been asked 100's of times. The swap will do you NO good so I would look in the turbo section and start reading, or if you really want a 4g63 then sell your car and buy one. BTW welcome to the board!

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

CollenteAug-18-03 09:02 AM
Member since Sep 20th 2002
2447 posts,
#54225, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 0

Nick
97RS

turbo8u> shut your SUCK

ModeratormicyekAug-18-03 09:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#54227, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 2

my god...I'm a noob I admit it...but I'm tired of seeing that question. Seriously it comes up about once a week in one of three sections. Someone should write a script that deletes the post and sends the "poster" to the search page when it sees 4g63 and swap in the text.

Not to flame you dude...sorry...welcome to the boar

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

UberingramAug-18-03 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#54228, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-18-03 09:23 AM by Uberingram

Instead of yelling no0b why dont you guys point out how and why you feel the way you do.

My opinion...dont bother and here is why:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=24&mesg_id=24&page=

EDIT: BTW, that only took me 10 seconds to find

TeamDR1665Aug-18-03 10:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#54233, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 4

How about a counter at the top that shows how many times that question gets asked? Welcome no0b. Do not fear the criticism. You have just faced the worst you can probably get here these days. We play nice. Promise.

MCubed45Aug-18-03 12:21 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#54241, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 5

dammit i just ran into a fellow eclipse owner (rs) the other nite and was telling him about 2gnt an stuff. i was asking him what mods he had planned and he started going off about doing an engine swap and crap. i was tryna explain to him how it's not a cost effective swap and how the 420a is very capable of handling boost but he kept saying how some guy he knew blew a after throwing on a turbo. he was talking about RWD conversions an stuff too... *sigh* idk if he'll make it to the board eventually but i'm sure he'll be asking the same damn engine swap question...

-marc

='95 RS 5spd Red=
Matrix CAI
A'pexi Turbo N1
Hanabi 8000k HID
SPAL Deluxe Power Windows
Nakayama GT5 17's
Ractive STB
GSX Calipers
AEM Rotors

255 is fricken short

CrazyEclipseAug-19-03 04:21 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2002
2503 posts,
#54306, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 6

Osrry I'm not as inclined as many of you 'old timers'. I'm simply a girl trying to learn this stuff. Out of 6 posts I only got 1 suggestion. If you dont want to read someone elses post regauding the topic that has been covered hundreds of times, then why do you read them?

It really bothers me when a girl is trying to get information on a topic she knows not much about and all she gets is flack. No wonder not many other girls are into the car scene...

If you have a suggestion, then please suggest, if you have nothing, then write nothing. Sorry for being such an ass, but its happened way too many times to me before. All I want is up to date info.

Cereal5Aug-19-03 04:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1016 posts,
#54307, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 7

>Osrry I'm not as inclined as many of you 'old timers'. I'm
>simply a girl trying to learn this stuff. Out of 6 posts I
>only got 1 suggestion. If you dont want to read someone elses
>post regauding the topic that has been covered hundreds of
>times, then why do you read them?
>
>It really bothers me when a girl is trying to get information
>on a topic she knows not much about and all she gets is flack.
> No wonder not many other girls are into the car scene...
>
>If you have a suggestion, then please suggest, if you have
>nothing, then write nothing. Sorry for being such an ass, but
>its happened way too many times to me before. All I want is
>up to date info.

::sigh:: females...

No one knew you were a girl, so it has nothing to do with that. People are just tired of seeing that question... and a lot of people enjoy calling out the n00bs.

But now that you've pointed out the fact that you are a girl, you're ten times more likely to get responses lol.

And don't do the swap IMO. HUGE pain in the ass, and no where near worth it, when you think about all the possibilities with the 420A. Read up on this section, make good use of the search function, and you'll see what I mean

Welcome to 2gnt.

amiller99rs: seriously, chicks suck sometimes
amiller99rs: like if a girl walked by and said "Hey, nice cock" and just kept going you'd smile all day about that

a_miller_76Aug-19-03 05:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#54309, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 8
Aug-19-03 05:03 AM by a_miller_76

Sell your car and get a GST. If you are asking this question then you don't know a lot about turbos and mechanical stuff. And if performance mods are a "big abyss" to you then you won't want to deal with all the hassles and constant headaches a turbo system on a non-turbo car will give you.

The swap is not very feesable because it will cost you a crapload of money for not much of a gain. Go to the main page and read the frequently asked questions section:

http://www.2gnt.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=General#8

That should answer your question.

Oh, and by the way guys, she's member number 2498...I'm 2512....and I think today's "noob" is 4617 or soemthing like that. She's been here awhile.

red97rsEclipseAug-19-03 06:30 AM
Member since Aug 08th 2003
249 posts,
#54314, "RE: 4G63 engine swap vs. Direct Bolt on turbo"
In response to Reply # 9

If your gonna do an engine swap, I'd go with the 420a 2.4, talk to motofoo on here, do a search on his name and give him an e-mail. I wouldnt do the 4g63 swap. Too much stuff to be done, but if you insist on doing a swap I'd do the 2.4 420a and add a turbo on it.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #54222 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Previous topic | Next topic