Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24230
View in linear mode

Subject: "Finally, I put my GSX brakes on" Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiJun-03-04 08:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24230, "Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
Jun-03-04 08:14 PM by WickedESi

GSX Brakes w/ Brembo Slotted Rotors and iRotors SS Brake Lines

I'm about to repaint my car (white/black) as soon as I finish taking all the dents out.

I took off the ugly side moldings, and I removed the rear toenail spoiler. I'm shaving everything (doors, antenna, etc..).

The only body peice I will be adding is a pair of 95-96 TSi sideskirts. It should make everything flow real nice.

Let me know what you guys think.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, MCubed45, Jun-04-04 01:19 AM, #1
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, turbo8u, Jun-04-04 08:14 AM, #2
      RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-04-04 01:03 PM, #3
           RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, HadesOmega, Jun-04-04 01:10 PM, #4
                RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-04-04 04:01 PM, #5
                     RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, pfmicks, Jun-04-04 07:54 PM, #6
                          RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, Blizare, Jun-07-04 04:32 AM, #7
                               RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, TeamDR1665, Jun-07-04 08:52 AM, #8
                               RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-07-04 09:49 AM, #9
                                    RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-07-04 09:51 AM, #10
                                         RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GorkoRacing, Jun-09-04 06:09 AM, #11
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, xEclipsE RaceRx, Jun-09-04 07:34 AM, #12
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-14-04 04:54 PM, #13
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-15-04 05:58 AM, #14
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, BMPDirk, Jun-15-04 07:08 AM, #15
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-16-04 06:21 AM, #16
RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GorkoRacing, Jun-16-04 08:28 AM, #17
      RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-16-04 09:37 AM, #18
           RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-16-04 09:49 AM, #19
           RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, coppereclipse95, Jun-16-04 12:01 PM, #20
                RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-16-04 12:38 PM, #21
           RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-17-04 09:54 AM, #22
                RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-17-04 05:30 PM, #23
                     RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, GhEttOrAiD, Jun-18-04 06:31 PM, #24
                     RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jun-19-04 09:43 AM, #25
                          RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, 98NTtalon, Jun-20-04 07:23 AM, #26
                               RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, Chamuko, Jun-20-04 06:03 PM, #27
                     RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on, WickedESi, Jul-04-04 02:17 AM, #28

MCubed45Jun-04-04 01:19 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#24234, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-04-04 01:21 AM by MCubed45

pretty!

i think it looks a lot nicer when you match your calipers to something on the car (body, rims, etc) instead of going with some random loud color.

go any pics wit the wheels back on? i'm thinking about ditching my aem's for some race concept rotors (mine are kinda messed up and vibrate under heavy breaking). idk if i can live with goin back to stock size gsx rotors though... kinda curious how they look. i only had tiny RS rotors under my rims before i went to the aem 12.5" ones.

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbo8uJun-04-04 08:14 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#24239, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 1

rotors are on backwards there sport the slots normally slant the other way

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

WickedESiJun-04-04 01:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24250, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 2

I wish I didn't though away brembo's info sheet on direction that came in the box else I would have just scanned it and posted it.

It said something like this:

It is a common misunderstanding to believe straight cut slotted and drilled rotors' direction is determind by the angle of the cuts on the front.

It is rather determind by the vanes inside the rotor. Post and straight vained rotors are non-directional, but all of Brembo's rotors are directional. The outside most part of the slots or drills should contact the pad first, causing the directional inner vanes to create a vacuum away from the center using centrifugal force (the inside vanes are radiused the opposite direction the slots go). (It had a cut away picture showing all of this)

The only exception to the rule of rotors being deteremind directional by the inside is if they have radius cut slots on the outside.

I tried to find the info sheet on Brembo's website real quick, but no luck. You can however see the cars on Brembo's site and which way their rotors are facing.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

HadesOmegaJun-04-04 01:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#24252, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 3

I don't think it really matters what direction you point them.

but man white calipers dude, haha have fun cleaning those. they'll easily turn purple. O_0

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

WickedESiJun-04-04 04:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24257, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 4

It has to do with the hot air w/ internal vained directional rotors. If you have them the wrong way, you will get negitive results, if you have them the right way, you will have positive results.

Brembo did a good job explaining it, take what I said for what it's worth.

I used G2 brush on aircraft brake epoxy (can be bought off ebay). Those rear calipers were painted using the same kind of paint 2 years ago, and hey look, they are still glossy white. The brake dust/dirt can literally be wiped off w/ a rag. It's the same kind of stuff used on factory colored rotors such as on Porches, big brake kits, etc...

pfmicksJun-04-04 07:54 PM
Member since Oct 10th 2002
1349 posts,
#24266, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 5

Looking good bro...good luck with repainting ur car, and props on going with the oem skirts

User banned for scamming members on 2GNT, WIDSM, and CHITOWNDSM. This user and his brother Jason Ames have been involved with theft of parts from other DSM members. This individual is not trustworthy and should not be involved in any type of sale.

BlizareJun-07-04 04:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#24287, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 6

how hard was teh side moulding to get off?

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

TeamDR1665Jun-07-04 08:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#24291, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 7

White calipers. Do0d. I have always wondered how well that would look. Damn. It looks pretty dope imo. I think I'll still go with the red though. Props to you for sticking to your guns. Those calipers look hawt man.

WickedESiJun-07-04 09:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24295, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Blizare
how hard was teh side moulding to get off?

It was a bitch, even with a heatgun.

It just left so much residue, as you can tell I didn't even get it all off at the time I took the pics.

I wouldn't recommend taking them off unless you are getting your car painted, because the paint underneith is definately a "newer" shade.

WickedESiJun-07-04 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24296, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 9

BTW, thanks for the compliments guys.

GorkoRacingJun-09-04 06:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#24313, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 10

Looks good Joel. Mine is in the shop getting a new ass on it. I am gonna paint my other front and skirts soon too. You gonna do it yourself. I was wanting to do mine too. Maybe we can go in on the paint etc. Hit me up man. later,
Anthony

xEclipsE RaceRxJun-09-04 07:34 AM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#24314, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 0

Diamn those look good. Let me know how clean that white color stays becuase I was thinking about doing that color as well.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://home.comcast.net/~eclipseracer/Page/Home.htm

WickedESiJun-14-04 04:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24381, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 12

Ugh, I wrote a long reply but it didn't post.

Anthony, I'll give you a call this week. I'm doing the paint myself. I have a HVLP gun. We should go in on the paint together so it will be really cheap.

Eclipse Racer, the rear calipers have been painted using the same epoxy for over 2 years, and they still wipe off w/ a dry towel and are still super glossy like they're brand new. The stuff is G2 aircraft brake epoxy, and it's the same kind of stuff used to paint aftermarket brake kits. Look up "g2 brake paint" on ebay and you'll get all the colors.

Thanks for the comments guys!

GhEttOrAiDJun-15-04 05:58 AM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
#24388, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 0

How did you work the jack/jackstands? did you do front left/right then back left/right? it looks like you did one side at a time...

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

BMPDirkJun-15-04 07:08 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#24389, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 14

more importantly, how do the GSX brakes compare to the stockers in your opinion

GhEttOrAiDJun-16-04 06:21 AM
1226 posts,
#24402, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 0

your rotors sit absolutely flush with the hub, right? like... if you look inside one of the extra holes on the hat, you can tell theres no space between hat/hub?

GorkoRacingJun-16-04 08:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#24403, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 16
Jun-16-04 08:29 AM by GorkoRacing

Yeah joel give me a call I'd love to go in on the paint with ya. I just have an extra front bumper and 95-99 sideskirts to paint.

Edit: if there is enough left over i might wanna paint my doorhandles and mirrors. Woot! 426-7737

WickedESiJun-16-04 09:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24404, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 17
Jun-16-04 09:38 AM by WickedESi

Originally posted by GhEttOrAiD
How did you work the jack/jackstands? did you do front left/right then back left/right? it looks like you did one side at a time...
I lifted the front, put the front jackstands under and then the back, and put the back ones under. You could do side and side though.

Originally posted by BMPDirk
more importantly, how do the GSX brakes compare to the stockers in your opinion
I haven't got to test them out yet. I had to find a 9/16" x .10" tap to fix the holes in the caliper on the right side because they overtorqued the bolts into the caliper for shipment and I had to use an impact gun to take them out to disassemble them and the bolts and threads where ruined. I had to get two new caliper bolts and the little rubber bushing on the end of the top bolt because that wasn't included when I ordered the two, not to mention those three things together were almost $30.

My bleeder screws were broken off into the holes during shipment so Gilee gave me a little money back for new bleeders. I had to extract those studs, then I ordered some Speedbleeders. They sent me the wrong ones so I mailed those back, and I'm waiting on the correct ones to arrive....

So, I should know if the braking was worth it soon enough.

your rotors sit absolutely flush with the hub, right? like... if you look inside one of the extra holes on the hat, you can tell theres no space between hat/hub?
This should be the case once the lugnuts are torqued down, and not neccessarly otherwise. Also, the holes in the rotor could be tapered, so it may look like they arn't flush even though the rotor is.

Originally posted by GorkoRacing
Yeah joel give me a call I'd love to go in on the paint with ya. I just have an extra front bumper and 95-99 sideskirts to paint. Edit: if there is enough left over i might wanna paint my doorhandles and mirrors. Woot! 426-7737
Will do bro, I'll swing by as soon as my bleeder screws get here and I can take my car of the jackstands.

GhEttOrAiDJun-16-04 09:49 AM
1226 posts,
#24408, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 18

Well, I got this kit from Spooledupracing, and no matter what I did the rotors would stay like 1-2mm off of the hub... Not even like... an "even" amount off of the hub, one side would be further on than the other... so when I put the calipers on, they would spin freely then completely lock themselves up on the pads. I tried pounding on the rotor with rubber mallet, tried putting my lugnuts on with some washers to force the rotor down, nothing would do it. Has to be the wrong rotor!

coppereclipse95Jun-16-04 12:01 PM
Member since Apr 29th 2002
1068 posts,
#24409, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 19

Well, I got this kit from Spooledupracing, and no matter what I did the rotors would stay like 1-2mm off of the hub... Not even like... an "even" amount off of the hub, one side would be further on than the other... so when I put the calipers on, they would spin freely then completely lock themselves up on the pads. I tried pounding on the rotor with rubber mallet, tried putting my lugnuts on with some washers to force the rotor down, nothing would do it. Has to be the wrong rotor!

I thought Dave, Spooledupracing, had some issues with different rotor years. Did you talk to him?

1995 Eclipse RS

GhEttOrAiDJun-16-04 12:38 PM
1226 posts,
#24410, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by coppereclipse95
Originally posted by GhEttOrAiD Well, I got this kit from Spooledupracing, and no matter what I did the rotors would stay like 1-2mm off of the hub... Not even like... an "even" amount off of the hub, one side would be further on than the other... so when I put the calipers on, they would spin freely then completely lock themselves up on the pads. I tried pounding on the rotor with rubber mallet, tried putting my lugnuts on with some washers to force the rotor down, nothing would do it. Has to be the wrong rotor!
I thought Dave, Spooledupracing, had some issues with different rotor years. Did you talk to him?

yeah he did, talked to him a second ago... I have to get home and double check the part numbers with him...

theres no way these things would ever fit...!

WickedESiJun-17-04 09:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24419, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 18
Jun-17-04 09:58 AM by WickedESi

Originally posted by WickedESi
I haven't got to test them out yet. I had to find a 9/16" x .10" tap to fix the holes in the caliper on the right side because they overtorqued the bolts into the caliper for shipment and I had to use an impact gun to take them out to disassemble them and the bolts and threads where ruined. I had to get two new caliper bolts and the little rubber bushing on the end of the top bolt because that wasn't included when I ordered the two, not to mention those three things together were almost $30.

My bleeder screws were broken off into the holes during shipment so Gilee gave me a little money back for new bleeders. I had to extract those studs, then I ordered some Speedbleeders. They sent me the wrong ones so I mailed those back, and I'm waiting on the correct ones to arrive....

So, I should know if the braking was worth it soon enough.

Oh boy...

If this doesn't make the situation any worse...

My wheels don't fit over the caliper~!@ due to the un-normal +42 offsite I got on them.

WickedESiJun-17-04 05:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24421, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 22

I had to trade my rims for some stock 5 star GS/GST/GSX rims so I can drive my car.

I have that empty feeling like I just broke up with my girlfriend...

GhEttOrAiDJun-18-04 06:31 PM
1226 posts,
#24438, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 23

ehhhhhhhhh im going through similar headaches

somehow or another I ended up with tapered lugs...

WickedESiJun-19-04 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24444, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 24
Jun-19-04 09:43 AM by WickedESi

We'll even though I went through a lot of crap and had to give up my rims, which this stuff shouldn't happen to anybody else, the brakes are great. I haven't fully got to try them out yet, because I'm still breaking them in, but they are awesome still.

Do note that my rotors contradicted some things said that were to make me believe they wouldn't fit, and that they wouldn't turn without rubbing on the clips a little till I torqued down the lug nuts and the new rotors were pressed completely flush against the hub. Also make sure there the brake pad clips don't protude out toward the rotor, and if they do, get some pliers to bend the inside of the clips straight down.

So basically, wait till you have your wheel torqued down to test spinning it.

98NTtalonJun-20-04 07:23 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2004
12 posts,
#24459, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 25

are GSX brakes the same as TSI

just wondering

ChamukoJun-20-04 06:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#24462, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 26

eclipse = talon, GSX = AWD tsi

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

WickedESiJul-04-04 02:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#24611, "RE: Finally, I put my GSX brakes on"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by WickedESi
I had to trade my rims for some stock 5 star GS/GST/GSX rims so I can drive my car. I have that empty feeling like I just broke up with my girlfriend...

Now that I've had time to think about it...

I got my wheels back, used washers around each of the lugs, and kept adding them till I got enough clearance when the wheel was torqued down to freely spin all the way around with no rubbing against the caliper. Measured this amount, and come to the conclusion that I need 3mm spacers for each wheel. I found 3mm 4/5 universal lug spacers on Pepboy's website. 3mm should be thin enough that I don't need the expensive custom hubcentric spacers so that the wheels center when bolted up. As always, make sure you have at least 6 threads of the lug when your wheel is bolted up (tighten down 4 out of the 5 lugnuts, then count how many threads you get w/ the last lugnut). If you don't have at least 6 threads, replace the lugs w/ longer lugs.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #24230 Previous topic | Next topic