Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138732
View in linear mode

Subject: "Megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
scorpo86Aug-24-18 07:16 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138732, "Megasquirt"

I found a megasquirt and I need to know if they are extremely programmable. The one I am looking at is firmware MsnS-E, processer MS-1, 255kpa, with Installed options are fan control, 8voutput, and tech out. more info on my set up with input on response.
thanks guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-25-18 08:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138733, "RE: Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by scorpo86
I found a megasquirt and I need to know if they are extremely programmable. The one I am looking at is firmware MsnS-E, processer MS-1, 255kpa, with Installed options are fan control, 8voutput, and tech out. more info on my set up with input on response. thanks guys

Depends on what you mean by "extremely programmable". They're a great standalone engine management system. You could probably program it to play Pong, but it doesn't have an option for a screen.

What exactly are you looking for?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

scorpo86Aug-25-18 11:41 AM
282 posts,
#138734, "RE: Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by scorpo86 I found a megasquirt and I need to know if they are extremely programmable. The one I am looking at is firmware MsnS-E, processer MS-1, 255kpa, with Installed options are fan control, 8voutput, and tech out. more info on my set up with input on response. thanks guys
Depends on what you mean by "extremely programmable". They're a great standalone engine management system. You could probably program it to play Pong, but it doesn't have an option for a screen. What exactly are you looking for?

Programable to what I need it for. I just don't want to spend the money on a ms when it was set up for the other person that is selling it. what are the advantages? can I even flash a stock ecu? I have been on 2gnt for a while and hear talk about having a MS but never considered getting one until now because the price is right.
I have a 16g Hahn with the big intercooler, vortech fmu, port and polished head with crane 2 (I think), pt lashers and lifters, 881 je and eagle rods, obx intake and mp tb.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-27-18 07:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#138735, "RE: Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

Installed options are fan control, 8voutput, and tach out.

With those options, you can power the factory 8v sensors (VSS,Crank, Cam), cycle the fans, and use the stock tach. So this should be usable as a complete standalone EMS without the stock ECU in place. No idle control, but that's what the set screw is for.

Even if it's not set up exactly the way you want, you can easily modify it to add or remove features you're interested in. It's an open design and there's a ton of documentation out there. You don't have to use what comes out of the box.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

scorpo86Sep-01-18 01:59 PM
282 posts,
#138736, "RE: Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by scorpo86 Installed options are fan control, 8voutput, and tach out.
With those options, you can power the factory 8v sensors (VSS,Crank, Cam), cycle the fans, and use the stock tach. So this should be usable as a complete standalone EMS without the stock ECU in place. No idle control, but that's what the set screw is for. Even if it's not set up exactly the way you want, you can easily modify it to add or remove features you're interested in. It's an open design and there's a ton of documentation out there. You don't have to use what comes out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback. would this be worth buying or stick with the stock ecu?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-01-18 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#138737, "RE: Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-01-18 02:12 PM by DarkOne

Thanks for the feedback. would this be worth buying or stick with the stock ecu?

Really depends on what you need out of it. You can get close to stock driveability on MS, but it's never going to be perfect. You'll find yourself driving around a lot with a laptop as your copilot. You won't ever pass an OBD2-based inspection (if that's an issue for you).

But it will give you the ability to tune the car for exactly what you want it to do, with whatever mods you're running and you'll make more power with a decent MS tune than a stock ECU, even bone stock.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138732 Previous topic | Next topic