Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132921
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stock Pistons and Rods" Previous topic | Next topic
datdude_enzoJan-10-11 06:24 PM
Member since Mar 21st 2009
35 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132921, "Stock Pistons and Rods"

How much boost can you run safely on stock internals. Cause I somewhat figured about 5 to 15psi providing I don't beat on it to hard, but what do you guys think and or know from experience?

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, doughboy23, Jan-10-11 06:32 PM, #1
RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Babbz413, Jan-10-11 06:46 PM, #2
      RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Slo2g, Jan-10-11 07:03 PM, #3
           RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Babbz413, Jan-10-11 07:08 PM, #4
           RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, datdude_enzo, Jan-10-11 09:56 PM, #5
                RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Babbz413, Jan-10-11 10:15 PM, #6
                     RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Slo2g, Jan-10-11 10:53 PM, #7
                     RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, datdude_enzo, Jan-10-11 10:54 PM, #8
                          RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Babbz413, Jan-10-11 11:02 PM, #9
                               RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, datdude_enzo, Jan-10-11 11:11 PM, #10
                                    RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-11-11 02:53 AM, #11
                                    RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, kballard81, Jan-11-11 07:51 AM, #12
                                         RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Ebster1085, Jan-11-11 01:34 PM, #13
                                              RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-11-11 02:40 PM, #14
                                    RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Shake_Zulla, Jan-11-11 03:06 PM, #15
                                         RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, datdude_enzo, Jan-11-11 08:48 PM, #16
                                              RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Babbz413, Jan-11-11 10:09 PM, #17
                                                   RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, Black_Eclipse, Jan-12-11 12:03 AM, #18
                                                        RE: Stock Pistons and Rods, datdude_enzo, Jan-12-11 01:50 AM, #19

doughboy23Jan-10-11 06:32 PM
Member since Mar 24th 2008
15 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132923, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 0

From my experience 6 to 8 psi to be safe..But some people have run 10 + psi at the track and not had a issue.I'm gonna say that 6 to 8psi max..Some one else may say different...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Babbz413Jan-10-11 06:46 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#132924, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 1

I ran 6 psi for 2 years before my ring landings blew.

95 GS Boosted

Slo2gJan-10-11 07:03 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#132925, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 2

What turbo are you running?

Babbz413Jan-10-11 07:08 PM
260 posts,
#132926, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 3

And when I did blow the landings, it was while racing, so they were under heavy pressure. Had I not done that, wouldn't of had to rebuild.

95 GS Boosted

datdude_enzoJan-10-11 09:56 PM
35 posts,
#132927, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Slo2g
What turbo are you running?

The 16g aftermarket turbo. So the Question I have is if I keep the stock rods and pistons for now and just replace the rings with aftermarket ones will I be safe until I get forged pistons and rods?

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

Babbz413Jan-10-11 10:15 PM
260 posts,
#132928, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by datdude_enzo
So the Question I have is if I keep the stock rods and pistons for now and just replace the rings with aftermarket ones will I be safe until I get forged pistons and rods?

I don't believe the rings themselves are what should worry you when running a stock piston on boost but the actual ringlanding itself on the piston. You also mention not "beating on it hard". Tell yourself that now, then BOOM!

What is going on right now? Are you doing some motor work? Is it apart already?

95 GS Boosted

Slo2gJan-10-11 10:53 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#132930, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 6

Thats not real big turbo, you could get away with 8psi, maybe even 10 with a good tune. Of course all of this is just a general idea, its not our fault if your car happens to have bad luck and blows up.

datdude_enzoJan-10-11 10:54 PM
35 posts,
#132931, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 6

lol I tell my self that until I feel boost underneath the gas pedal lol but what is the ring landing because I have never heard that term before, is it where the rings sit?

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

Babbz413Jan-10-11 11:02 PM
260 posts,
#132932, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 8

lol I tell my self that until I feel boost underneath the gas pedal lol but what is the ring landing because I have never heard that term before, is it where the rings sit?

Yes. The grooves on the piston itself in which the rings sit.

If your motor is apart or you plan on taking it apart for anything then just go with the forged now to save the time and hassle later.

95 GS Boosted

datdude_enzoJan-10-11 11:11 PM
35 posts,
#132933, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 9

I bought a block with all of the internals in it and I only found eagle rods and J E pistons for about 1000 dollars just gotta get the money up , but first reconditioning the block and honing the cylinders to prep for boost.

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-11-11 02:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#132934, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 10

I bought a block with all of the internals in it and I only found eagle rods and J E pistons for about 1000 dollars just gotta get the money up , but first reconditioning the block and honing the cylinders to prep for boost.

^^ You can get them cheaper in a lot of places. Hell, hit up E-bay and you should get a package cheaper.

As for how much boost, BOOST IS NOT A MEASUREMENT OF POWER

Now 8psi on the 16g should be just fine on the stock rods. The stockers are generally said to hold up to 250whp (figure 225tq). I would agree with that number.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

kballard81Jan-11-11 07:51 AM
Member since Jul 07th 2008
104 posts,
#132935, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 11

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wiseco-Pistons-Eagle-Rods-Dodge-Neon-Eclipse-RS-420A-2g-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439ac1b9beQQitemZ290359196094QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Ebster1085Jan-11-11 01:34 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#132938, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 12

I ran 12psi on stock internals for around 25K miles and drove the car hard the entire time before I cracked a ringland and had to do a rebuild. I was also running an inadequate fuel system and was leaning out under boost.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

420agreenvilleSCJan-11-11 02:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132940, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 13

8psi and call it a day. if u get greedy/cocky, expect to throw more money at the car

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Shake_ZullaJan-11-11 03:06 PM
Member since Dec 03rd 2010
42 posts,
#132941, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 10

Im confused (not hard to do). Your car is running and you got this other block to prep for more boost and you want to max out your current setup? Thats what I got, if it's NOT your DD and your building a seperate block then you have less to worry about. I, however, have this firm belief in not running everything to the absolute breaking point especially if I don't have that much money (cough cough forged pistons and rods cough cough). If you break something it costs more money. If your piston expodes it could damage the head which isn't on your build list. Plus you don't get that much money selling broken parts. Just MO though... I LOVE seeing pics of "too much" aftermath.

96 RS
95 Toyota pickup - 8" lift, 33's (sold)
07 Toyota tacoma - TRD Sport
13 Ford Fusion

I like logic more when it travels in circles.

datdude_enzoJan-11-11 08:48 PM
35 posts,
#132944, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by Shake_Zulla
Originally posted by datdude_enzo I bought a block with all of the internals in it and I only found eagle rods and J E pistons for about 1000 dollars just gotta get the money up , but first reconditioning the block and honing the cylinders to prep for boost.
Im confused (not hard to do). Your car is running and you got this other block to prep for more boost and you want to max out your current setup? Thats what I got, if it's NOT your DD and your building a seperate block then you have less to worry about. I, however, have this firm belief in not running everything to the absolute breaking point especially if I don't have that much money (cough cough forged pistons and rods cough cough). If you break something it costs more money. If your piston expodes it could damage the head which isn't on your build list. Plus you don't get that much money selling broken parts. Just MO though... I LOVE seeing pics of "too much" aftermath.

I have a running eclipse with a hahn racecraft kit on stock internals, so in terms yes i just wanted to optimize my setup up now, and i was just wondering and getting my facts together for the future but the block i bought will be built properly its just i love the way boost feels lol and i wanted to know just in case cuz i have a tendency to tell my self " iam good i can boost a little more what can possibly happen" Stupid me alot can happen.

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

Babbz413Jan-11-11 10:09 PM
260 posts,
#132945, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 16

If your building a block seperate from the one putting power to your wheels at the moment, then do it right and go forged. As far as your current setup goes, just enjoy it and be easy and it will last until your block is built. 750 too much for ya? I'm contemplating letting my je and eagle rods go for 400 never used. Keep an eye one the for sale forum, piston and rod combos seem to be on there regularly.

95 GS Boosted

Black_EclipseJan-12-11 12:03 AM
Member since Mar 08th 2010
8 posts,
#132946, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 17

Forged internals is definitely the way to go. As for now, what psi spring is in your wastegate? Typically this is a 7psi spring, which is just fine and safe on stock internals. I wouldn't recommend you go any higher than 7-8psi even with proper tuning.

Built and Boosted...but usually broken..'sigh'

datdude_enzoJan-12-11 01:50 AM
35 posts,
#132947, "RE: Stock Pistons and Rods"
In response to Reply # 18

Thanks alot Guys I appreciate the feedback. pics soon on build and updatesoon.

Jay "EnZo"
420A-T from heaven

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132921 Previous topic | Next topic