Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12205
View in linear mode

Subject: "Monitor in Pass. Airbag?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThePerfectShiftMay-13-06 12:13 PM
Member since May 02nd 2006
199 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12205, "Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"

Okay I have been dying for a monitor and game system in my clipse like i had in my explorer. I can pick up a slim ps2 for about 130 new so i'm looking into that with wireless controllers and such. My question is...... How difficult would it be to install a 7 or 8 inch monitor into the passanger airbag cover? If i had a headrest of visor mounting bracket i would assume i could use that. I was looking at it the other day and i dont know it it would be a flat enough surface. I could always get a cheap pull out and put it above my radio but i think that looks tacky. Any input and PCTURES would be greatly appreciated!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, joeck76, May-13-06 05:28 PM, #1
RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, clips3kid, May-14-06 04:11 AM, #2
      RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, ThePerfectShift, May-14-06 09:29 AM, #3
           RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, clips3kid, May-14-06 10:38 AM, #4
           RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, Malenko, May-14-06 10:38 AM, #5
                RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, clips3kid, May-14-06 10:41 AM, #6
                     RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, Malenko, May-16-06 07:27 AM, #7
                          RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, vroom-vroom, May-16-06 04:32 PM, #8
                               RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, ColtsNumba1Fan, May-18-06 06:36 PM, #9
                                    RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?, ThePerfectShift, May-18-06 06:47 PM, #10

joeck76May-13-06 05:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
880 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12206, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 0

i had a 7 in mounted in there but it was a custom pita! i mounted it and later found out the angle was no good it had to be tilted more towards the ground to be able to see the monitor correctly so i had to build up a foundation for it to sit in to hold the monitor upright a little more. i used a variety of stuff to include bondo and liquid nails. this was all before i knew anything about fiberglass which would have been alot easier. i started by removing the air bag module with a dremel tool. Warning if the air bag goes off while you are working on it you mostlikely will die so be careful. ill post a pic of the end result for you to get an idea, if i did it over again i would have glassed it. also only the passanger will be able to view this monitor the way i did it. driver can see but its kinda dark cause your viewing from an angle.

Ps. my interior is not as blue anymore ive maade some changes

98 RS: Mods: Custom Stage 2 Turbo kit , 55mm throttle body, gutted cat, evo cat back exhaust, p/p intake manifold,p/p Head, af-x underdrive pulley, B&M short throw shifter,Built bottom end Je pistons eagle rods 8.8:1 compression.

Custom stage 2 hahn turbo kit
Hahn Super 16g turbo (ceramic coated)
Hahn manifold (ceramic coated)
Hahn Downpipe assembly
Hahn intercooler piping smic
Hahn oil line kit
Type s bov
2G Gsx smic
walbro 255 fuel pump
Synapse missing link
Vortech s-fmu
NGK Bkr7e11 Plugs
A-pillar w/boost, a/f, oil pressure gauges

New Addition: 2007 Eclipse GT 6 speed

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

clips3kidMay-14-06 04:11 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2005
178 posts,
#12207, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 1

i dont think mine looks so bad...

just postin a pic so u can see

i have since replaced that shift knob, and the cd player... and yes i have the plastic piece that goes around them in now

Stuff: Xbox, 7inch tft screen, 2 12inch infinity 1242w's, poweracoustic amp,pioneer HU, Tokico HP struts/springs, buddy club p1 perforance II plus 17inch wheels

ThePerfectShiftMay-14-06 09:29 AM
199 posts,
#12208, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 2

no, ur right it doesnt look too bad. I could live with that. Im just wondering how my cd player will hold up. It motorizes down. Did u have to get one of those double din harness things? how much did the screen cost you? I definetly want to be able to see the screen easily from the drivers seat so i guess the airbag idea is out. anyone personally mounted them in the visors easily? I know i'm probobly getting annoying but i just got an alarm so i feel a little safer since my last video system got stolen from me.

clips3kidMay-14-06 10:38 AM
178 posts,
#12209, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 3

the screen cost me $179 becuz i opted for the one with head phone jack built in, idk why tho itll never be used... u can get it without for $149, it has a tv tuner but it uses an external video source... such as an xbox/dvd player. U can plug an antenna into it and get radio transmitted tv

u can tap into the existing wiring or u could run ur own wire off the battery if u wanted... mines wired so the screen turns off when the cars off, but the blue LED's stay on 24/7, they're just LED's tho so its not too big of a deal...

Stuff: Xbox, 7inch tft screen, 2 12inch infinity 1242w's, poweracoustic amp,pioneer HU, Tokico HP struts/springs, buddy club p1 perforance II plus 17inch wheels

MalenkoMay-14-06 10:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#12210, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 3

wow clipse kid, we really do have the same head unit and screen,lol

well I will say tihs, XBOX>PS2 , especially if you mod it because then its a region free/dongle free DVD player, divx player,mp3 player, super nintendo,etc all in one www.xbox-scene.com

those are pix from my carputer removal thread

clips3kidMay-14-06 10:41 AM
178 posts,
#12211, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah, i sold that head unit though... and bought my pioneer, it will be missed though

as for screen, yea they look similar... and work great, also the xbox... i was wondering do u ever use urs? cuz im really tempted to sell mine and just go w/ a normal dvd player so i can play MP3's, mines got the modded dash so i still have to load an mp3 player on it when it boots up, only takes a few seconds but still... a dvd player would take less time

MalenkoMay-16-06 07:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#12214, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 6

boot up to XBMC thats a DVD/MP3/DivX/etc in one

I dont use mine cause my car isnt back in one piece yet. you could keep the XBOX and just go snag a $40 DVD player?

vroom-vroomMay-16-06 04:32 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2005
55 posts,
#12215, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 7

where did you guys get that screen?

ColtsNumba1FanMay-18-06 06:36 PM
Member since Mar 27th 2005
399 posts,
#12224, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 8

i wanted a in-dash, i still may pick 1 up, but for now i have a pyle dvd player that fits PERFECT into my glovebox, hooked up to a 7.2 legacy screen, plays pretty good, but has a glare during the day which sucks, try to avoid these mountable ones unless they are good quality i think. In my explorer I got 2 pyle 7.2s hooked up to a ps2, pretty cool to me

ThePerfectShiftMay-18-06 06:47 PM
199 posts,
#12225, "RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?"
In response to Reply # 9

anyone had any experiance with those complete visors on ebay? the ones that u actually replace the visors with? I'm kinda interested in those, I think i want to go with visor monitors but it seems like a pita to mount them.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #12205 Previous topic | Next topic