Go back to previous topic
Forum nameAudio, Alarms, AV
Topic subjectMonitor in Pass. Airbag?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=10&topic_id=12205
12205, Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by ThePerfectShift, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Okay I have been dying for a monitor and game system in my clipse like i had in my explorer. I can pick up a slim ps2 for about 130 new so i'm looking into that with wireless controllers and such. My question is...... How difficult would it be to install a 7 or 8 inch monitor into the passanger airbag cover? If i had a headrest of visor mounting bracket i would assume i could use that. I was looking at it the other day and i dont know it it would be a flat enough surface. I could always get a cheap pull out and put it above my radio but i think that looks tacky. Any input and PCTURES would be greatly appreciated!
12206, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by joeck76, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i had a 7 in mounted in there but it was a custom pita! i mounted it and later found out the angle was no good it had to be tilted more towards the ground to be able to see the monitor correctly so i had to build up a foundation for it to sit in to hold the monitor upright a little more. i used a variety of stuff to include bondo and liquid nails. this was all before i knew anything about fiberglass which would have been alot easier. i started by removing the air bag module with a dremel tool. Warning if the air bag goes off while you are working on it you mostlikely will die so be careful. ill post a pic of the end result for you to get an idea, if i did it over again i would have glassed it. also only the passanger will be able to view this monitor the way i did it. driver can see but its kinda dark cause your viewing from an angle.

Ps. my interior is not as blue anymore ive maade some changes
12207, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by clips3kid, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i dont think mine looks so bad...

just postin a pic so u can see

i have since replaced that shift knob, and the cd player... and yes i have the plastic piece that goes around them in now
12208, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
no, ur right it doesnt look too bad. I could live with that. Im just wondering how my cd player will hold up. It motorizes down. Did u have to get one of those double din harness things? how much did the screen cost you? I definetly want to be able to see the screen easily from the drivers seat so i guess the airbag idea is out. anyone personally mounted them in the visors easily? I know i'm probobly getting annoying but i just got an alarm so i feel a little safer since my last video system got stolen from me. :(
12209, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
the screen cost me $179 becuz i opted for the one with head phone jack built in, idk why tho itll never be used... u can get it without for $149, it has a tv tuner but it uses an external video source... such as an xbox/dvd player. U can plug an antenna into it and get radio transmitted tv

u can tap into the existing wiring or u could run ur own wire off the battery if u wanted... mines wired so the screen turns off when the cars off, but the blue LED's stay on 24/7, they're just LED's tho so its not too big of a deal...
12210, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
wow clipse kid, we really do have the same head unit and screen,lol

well I will say tihs, XBOX>PS2 , especially if you mod it because then its a region free/dongle free DVD player, divx player,mp3 player, super nintendo,etc all in one www.xbox-scene.com

those are pix from my carputer removal thread
12211, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
yeah, i sold that head unit though... and bought my pioneer, it will be missed though

as for screen, yea they look similar... and work great, also the xbox... i was wondering do u ever use urs? cuz im really tempted to sell mine and just go w/ a normal dvd player so i can play MP3's, mines got the modded dash so i still have to load an mp3 player on it when it boots up, only takes a few seconds but still... a dvd player would take less time
12214, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by Malenko, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
boot up to XBMC thats a DVD/MP3/DivX/etc in one

I dont use mine cause my car isnt back in one piece yet. you could keep the XBOX and just go snag a $40 DVD player?
12215, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by vroom-vroom, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
where did you guys get that screen?
12224, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
Posted by ColtsNumba1Fan, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
i wanted a in-dash, i still may pick 1 up, but for now i have a pyle dvd player that fits PERFECT into my glovebox, hooked up to a 7.2 legacy screen, plays pretty good, but has a glare during the day which sucks, try to avoid these mountable ones unless they are good quality i think. In my explorer I got 2 pyle 7.2s hooked up to a ps2, pretty cool to me

12225, RE: Monitor in Pass. Airbag?
anyone had any experiance with those complete visors on ebay? the ones that u actually replace the visors with? I'm kinda interested in those, I think i want to go with visor monitors but it seems like a pita to mount them.
I generated this page in 0.0081019401550293 seconds, executing 7 queries.