Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11936
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?" Previous topic | Next topic
JFeb-08-06 02:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11936, "Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
Feb-08-06 02:24 PM by J

Yes, add my name to the list of really, really stupid people.

I installed a new Eclipse radio and pulled my shifter backward into 2nd gear so I could slide it in easy. Stupid me did a remote start on the car when I was all done to see my new beauty in action only to have it jump / kick start and die (fortunately I had the e-brake on and was NOT facing a wall/etc.).

Unfortunately, my car will NOT start back up again... it doesn't even try to turn!!!

Being stranded at work, I called DEI direct (they said to disconnect brain of Viper alarm to remove from equation, but would have to reprogram = NOOOOOOoooooo). Then I called Cartronics and spoke to someone who installs them all the time, and determined that nothing must be wrong with the alarm/remote start itself cuz the doors lock, alarm activates/deactivates, and the remote start tries to start the car (can hear fuel pump, am turbo'd).

Ironically, I went to AutoZone earlier today to test my batter & alternator and get any codes read (scheduled checkup, lol) as I drive w/ a CEL all the time with no cat or o2 sensor (for turbo). So I already know both battery and alternator are good.

I tried jumping the car
I tried Valet mode
I tried 'Disable Starter Kill' feature

What worked was, I had a coworker push me and was able to start the car with a push start!!!!!!!!! Yipee, there's nothing wrong w/ the car. After my 20min drive home, I tried restarting again and same problem (as was expected).

SOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...........

Where does this leave me?
I'm assuming that the problem is either:

a.) Starter Motor blew
b.) Starter Relay blew
c.) What else could have happened?

I don't see how it could be anything else, or am I wrong?

Any & All comments are greatly appreciated, thanx!!!!!!
- J (it's a Viper vx160, I think)

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, RoughRider01, Feb-09-06 10:21 AM, #1
RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, J, Feb-09-06 12:15 PM, #2
      RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, 95_ESi_Person, Feb-14-06 09:17 AM, #3
           RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, J, Feb-14-06 10:47 AM, #4
                RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, TeamXtremeRS, Feb-14-06 01:27 PM, #5
                     RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, J, Feb-18-06 06:09 PM, #6
                          RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-04-06 10:45 PM, #7
                               RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, elgordo, May-05-06 04:24 PM, #8
                                    RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?, sgraef4587, May-05-06 09:07 PM, #9

RoughRider01Feb-09-06 10:21 AM
Member since Nov 15th 2005
62 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11938, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 0

This isnt really about your problem but why dont you just unscrew your downstream o2 sensor and zip-tie it or whatever to underneath the car? Itll trick it into thinking you have the best cat ever.

Good luck on fixing your problem.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JFeb-09-06 12:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11939, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 1

Well... the starter is actually clicking, didn't hear it last night but it is. However, it's not actually trying to turn over (just the actuator). After searching, I also tried replacing the Starter Relay w/ the Cruise Control Relay and no effect.

SOOOOooooooooooooooooooo............
It's NOT my Starter Relay & IS my Starter Motor (what else could it be?!?)

Unfortunately, I've got a sh*tload of piping & turbo to take out cuz I can't get the starter out of the engine bay. My exhaust manifold was leaking at the gasket and I've got doug's old exhaust manifold coming in, so I'm gonna take the opportunity to kill 'several birds with one stone.' This means my car is gonna be down a week easy :'(

I've read of some people mounting both their o2 sensors right next to each other, but really the best thing to do is the 'o2 resistor mod'. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Besides, I'd still have a CEL as I found out my Missing Link is dirty and I've got a vacuum leak somewhere (which I already knew).

Starter motor definately, right?
- J

- J

95_ESi_PersonFeb-14-06 09:17 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#11975, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Valet mode?

JFeb-14-06 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11976, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 3

Valet Mode = Silent/Safe Mode

Basically disables any timers in addition to stopping the chirp sounds when armed/disarmed. (eg. Makes it so doors don't autolock, etc.) You can actually do a good lil bit w/ the Valet mode with enough time & patience. Valet Model is the standard 'if all else fails' recommendation for security systems.

- J

- J

TeamXtremeRSFeb-14-06 01:27 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#11979, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 4

Really sounds like all that extra torque on the starter motor fried it...If its clicking, and not turning over the engine, its the starter motor...time for a new one

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

JFeb-18-06 06:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#12003, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 5

Well SH*T... got doug's manifold in, and also another starter. I took both starts (old & new) to get tested and BOTH came back as okay, wtf?!? The gear popped out, started spinning, & amps looked normal... exact on BOTH of them.

The thing is, I heard the same pop of the solenoid on the starter in the store as while on the car... but my car did NOT actually try to turn over, just the pop!!!

Talked with the guy in the store and told him everything to this point, and he thinx that maybe the starter isn't getting all the juice in the car & to check the wiring. This I don't get cuz the wiring looked fine to me (very solid connections), and I don't see what else it could be either.

a.) The car DOES push-start
b.) The car does NOT try to turn over at all, just a pop of starter
c.) Replacing Starter Relay w/ Cruise Relay = No Change (same relay)
d.) Starter DOES check out okay
e.) Alarm System DOES check out okay
f.) Batter/Alternator DOES check out okay

WHAT AM I MISSING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HELP!!
- J

- J

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-04-06 10:45 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#12180, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 6
May-04-06 10:46 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Make sure the battery cables have very good connections and make sure the cable at the starter has a good connection. On the solinoid wire, make sure your getting 12v. I know you said the solinoid is clicking, but make sure there is 12v there and not a very weak + voltage.

Autozone has been wrong before, they dont actually load test anything. All they do is apply power to see if parts spin.

Edit: oh crap old post...sorry
Terry

elgordoMay-05-06 04:24 PM
Member since Aug 14th 2005
45 posts,
#12181, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 7

do u check the stater kill relay on ur alarm or maybe the fuses i hope that help.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=42976

sgraef4587May-05-06 09:07 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2006
6 posts,
#12182, "RE: Remote Start in Gear = Dead Starter / Relay?!?"
In response to Reply # 8

I agree with elgordo. I have seen a few bad starter kill relays go bad over time at my shop. The pop you hear may be a bad relay under the dash. Worst case senario just bypass the relay itself. Resolder the starter wire back together to try and trouble shoot one less possible problem out of the equation. Relays by nature are only 30 or 40 Amps. I doubt the car being in gear would draw that much current, but I've seen some weird things before. That would be my first step.

Top 2GNT Technical Interior/Exterior Audio, Alarms, AV topic #11936 Previous topic | Next topic