Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31431
View in linear mode

Subject: "tie rod replacement questions" Previous topic | Next topic
ggaarryySep-10-08 07:04 AM
Member since Sep 21st 2004
23 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31431, "tie rod replacement questions"

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder 2.4l non turbo...175k miles

Car was just failed on state safety inspection for 'inner tie rods'. I must be doing something wrong because when I jack it up (at the frame) and try to jiggle the tire side to side/up and down it seems rock solid to me with no movement. Otherwise, car has no handling, vibration, weird sounds or pulling problems and tire wear was even after 80k. Just how do you tell if inner and/or outer tie rods are bad? Are the symptoms different for inner versus outer?

Next question after reading all the posts here about tie rods is: does it make sense to replace both inner and outer at the same time if I am going to do the inners anyway--under the assumption that if the inners are gone the outers will go soon?

Chiltons and Haynes only describe replacing (outer) tie rod ends which makes me even wonder if inners ever go (though threads here indicate otherwise) and the inspector just misdiagnosed.

thanks much, ggaarryy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

tie rod replacement questions [View all] , ggaarryy, Sep-10-08 07:04 AM
  RE: tie rod replacement questions, daes_venge, Sep-10-08 08:06 AM, #1
RE: tie rod replacement questions, 96TurboGS, Sep-10-08 09:45 AM, #2
RE: tie rod replacement questions, ggaarryy, Sep-14-08 11:40 AM, #3
RE: tie rod replacement questions, daes_venge, Sep-14-08 02:09 PM, #4
      RE: tie rod replacement questions, ggaarryy, Sep-16-08 05:05 AM, #5
           RE: tie rod replacement questions, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-16-08 03:32 PM, #6
                RE: tie rod replacement questions, ggaarryy, Sep-17-08 04:36 AM, #7
                     RE: tie rod replacement questions, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-17-08 11:53 AM, #8

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31431 Previous topic | Next topic