Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22415
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDeanoDFeb-10-04 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22419, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to In response to 3
Feb-10-04 12:07 PM by DeanoD

You can use Dot 3, 4, or 5.1

Synthetic is great and Silicone is bad. Dot 5 usually has silicone in it.

An easier explaination would be that the higher the number, the more resistant it is to absorbing moisture over time.

Valvoline synthetic dot 4 fluid is great for our brake and clutch systems. For an off the shelf(any parts store) fluid, it is hard to beat.

I have used many different combonations of the above fluids. I believe all of them are able to mix with each other except the silicone based ones(dot 5).

I currently use ATE Super Blue Dot 4 brake fluid. I am using Valvoline synthetic dot 4 fluid in my clutch system.

Ford Heavy Duty Dot 3 brake fluid is great and fairly inexpensive.

BTW: it will take roughly a quart of fluid to completely flush out the old fluid and get any air out of the system. 1 Litre is also a good choice when selecting a quantity that will get the job done and have a little left over for later. Do not store opened brake fluid in the garage. It will absorb moisture over time and it is best to either store it inside or just buy a new bottle when filling systems. I do realize the old fluid left in the vehicle brake system will have been outside. The best way to keep the boiling temp as high as possible is to add fresh moisture free fluid when topping it off later.

If you have speed bleeders, just use some hose(silicone or rubber) to connect to the bleeder and start pumping. Air will not enter the system. A clear hose from one of those cheap bleeder kits at the parts store works even better so you can see air bubbles in the line or when the fresh fluid is coming through. Two people works better when completely flushing an entire system, but it can be done with one.

Start at right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. I would also do a second round of bleeding to make sure it is just steady fluid coming out. When changing lines, you get a whole bunch of air in the system. The second time may only take one pedal application to see if it is clear of any air bubbles.

That should hold you for a little while.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Flushing out old brake fluid?? [View all] , mcgyvr, Feb-10-04 12:12 PM

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22415 Previous topic | Next topic