Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22415
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Flushing out old brake fluid??" Previous topic | Next topic
mcgyvrFeb-10-04 12:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22415, "Flushing out old brake fluid??"

Just wondering what the best way to drain the brake fluid out is.
Im installing SS lines,speedbleeders,etc.. and want to put in some valvoline synth DOT 4 brake fluid

Just want to get all the old OEM crap out

I figured you just open all the lines and let it drip out but I bet there is still quite a bit still in there.

oh and how much fluid do I need for a full fill

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
run4cvrFeb-09-04 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#22416, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 0

I would siphon out the fluid that is in the resevoir(turkey baster)and pour new in first. Then i would go to the right rear brake(farthest from the resevoir) and go through the motions of bleeding the brakes. I am pretty sure you will be able to tell when new/clean fluid is coming out. Keep an eye on the resevoir level as you do not want to get air in the system. Then move to the drivers rear and repeat. Next move to the passenger brake and finish with the drivers front. Top off the resevoir and you should be fine. I am not sure of the total system capacity, but it wouldnt hurt to have to large containers of brake fluid.

John 96 GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MCubed45Feb-09-04 04:20 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#22417, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 0
Feb-09-04 04:24 PM by MCubed45

Originally posted by mcgyvr
and want to put in some valvoline synth DOT 4 brake fluid

don't our cars use DOT 3?

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/brakefluid1a.htm
very informative article on brake fluid

"As a trailing note on the DOT ratings, if your car was designed for a particular type of fluid, you should make every attempt to stick with that fluid! For example, if your car was delivered with DOT 3 fluid, the internal components of the system (seals, brake hoses, and fittings for example) were specifically designed and tested for compatibility with DOT 3. Because DOT 4 fluids contain a different chemical composition, the system may not necessarily react in a positive fashion to the borate esters floating around in the mix.

In certain cases, just the difference in viscosity of the two different fluids may cause the seals to wear at different rates. What starts as an annoying squeak might eventually become a torn seal or worse. The examples could go on and on, but the message here is this: it’s fine to upgrade from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 3 fluid B, but you should think twice (maybe even three times) before switching from DOT 3 fluid A to DOT 4 fluid of any sort"

-marc

mcgyvrFeb-10-04 03:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#22418, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 2

well I thought it was okay to go up in the numbers I really just thought its a better fluid, higher boiling point,etc..

If I cant use dot4 can someone recommend the best brake fluid for our cars

Mods are:
Not enough

TeamDeanoDFeb-10-04 12:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#22419, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-10-04 12:07 PM by DeanoD

You can use Dot 3, 4, or 5.1

Synthetic is great and Silicone is bad. Dot 5 usually has silicone in it.

An easier explaination would be that the higher the number, the more resistant it is to absorbing moisture over time.

Valvoline synthetic dot 4 fluid is great for our brake and clutch systems. For an off the shelf(any parts store) fluid, it is hard to beat.

I have used many different combonations of the above fluids. I believe all of them are able to mix with each other except the silicone based ones(dot 5).

I currently use ATE Super Blue Dot 4 brake fluid. I am using Valvoline synthetic dot 4 fluid in my clutch system.

Ford Heavy Duty Dot 3 brake fluid is great and fairly inexpensive.

BTW: it will take roughly a quart of fluid to completely flush out the old fluid and get any air out of the system. 1 Litre is also a good choice when selecting a quantity that will get the job done and have a little left over for later. Do not store opened brake fluid in the garage. It will absorb moisture over time and it is best to either store it inside or just buy a new bottle when filling systems. I do realize the old fluid left in the vehicle brake system will have been outside. The best way to keep the boiling temp as high as possible is to add fresh moisture free fluid when topping it off later.

If you have speed bleeders, just use some hose(silicone or rubber) to connect to the bleeder and start pumping. Air will not enter the system. A clear hose from one of those cheap bleeder kits at the parts store works even better so you can see air bubbles in the line or when the fresh fluid is coming through. Two people works better when completely flushing an entire system, but it can be done with one.

Start at right rear, then left rear, then right front, then left front. I would also do a second round of bleeding to make sure it is just steady fluid coming out. When changing lines, you get a whole bunch of air in the system. The second time may only take one pedal application to see if it is clear of any air bubbles.

That should hold you for a little while.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

WickedESiFeb-10-04 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#22421, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-10-04 12:12 PM by DeanoD

Is the speed bleeder on the slave cylinder the same size as those used on the brake calipers?

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

TeamDeanoDFeb-10-04 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#22422, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-10-04 12:14 PM by DeanoD

I believe they are all the same. I still have my original factory clutch bleeder, but friends have told me they used a brake bleeder for it(one used on our calipers). NAPA carries them individually.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

mcgyvrFeb-10-04 12:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
#22423, "RE: Flushing out old brake fluid??"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for the clarification guys, I thought I could use anything higher. just wanted to make sure

Mods are:
Not enough

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #22415 Previous topic | Next topic