Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11599
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Aug-20-02 12:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11603, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to In response to 2

>Wow, that was really informative... thanx!

You're welcome. That's what I'm here for

Now when U say
>spacers, do U mean just some metal washers or is there
>something specific 4 cars? I assume some kind of high-temp
>metal or something.

There are specific spacers made for putting on cars, but they should be easy to find. Just go to any local shop that sells rims for import/performance cars (there are about a million of these places now). Usually they are steel, but you might be able to find aluminum ones like I did (which are no big deal really). Either way they'll get the job done.

>I won't waste any time looking 4 differend caps now, I'm
>going 2 get some new lug nuts 2night though. I trust I'm
>not causing any damage, just not as good a fit... it will B
>taken care of.

I also doubt you're causing any damage, it's just that stock lug nuts don't fit that well and might not be a good idea over the long term as they MIGHT loosen up as you drive.

>I'm suprised when U say I lost high end, I would think it
>would B greater in that the wheel doesn't have 2 turn as
>much 2 go a given distance once up 2 speed.

Oh, I see you meant high end as high mph, as if your car can travel at a faster mph now due to the slight change in the final drive ratio. I don't know if it would really make that much a diffrence because with our gearing stock we could (if we had enough power) go about 162 mph or so (you'd be on the rev limiter in 5th gear at about 162mph). A taller tire would make it possible to travel at a higher mph, but we don't have to power to get even close to that (without a turbo kit) so the taller tire probably isn't affecting the top speed of the car, at least when it comes to gearing.

Now, the wider tires might actually slow the car's top speed down a few mph due to greater rolling resistance and more aerodynamic drag from just being a wider tire. (Yes, what may be small differences aerodynamically at low speeds become big differences as speed increases, because drag goes up with the square or the cube of your speed, I forget which.)

I meant high end as in power your car gets to the ground at high rpms (regardless of gears). For cars with relatively no power (that means us) turning 225 tires is alot harder than turning 195 tires. The heavier, wider tread will cause your car to be slower and put less power TO THE GROUND regardless of your rpms. That's what I meant when I said you are loosing high end as well.

>P.S.
>I'm bottoming out now if I hit a big bump or take a turn
>really hard, I'm assuming Bcause the tire is now going
>deeper in2 the wheel well & it's EZr.

Try getting that 1/8th or 1/4 inch spacer and see if that solves the problem.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's... [View all] , J, Aug-19-02 03:55 AM
  RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-19-02 07:51 AM, #1
RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-19-02 10:44 AM, #2
      RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-19-02 01:50 PM, #3
      RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-20-02 12:10 AM #4
           RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 11:16 AM, #5
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-21-02 02:30 PM, #6
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:17 PM, #9
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:25 PM, #10
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:09 PM, #7
                     RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:15 PM, #8
                          RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-22-02 01:49 AM, #11
                               RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., neoamd, Sep-03-02 01:01 PM, #12
                                    RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., joshacu, Sep-03-02 02:50 PM, #13

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11599 Previous topic | Next topic