Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11599
View in linear mode

Subject: "3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..." Previous topic | Next topic
JAug-19-02 03:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11599, "3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."

Well, I finally replaced my stock 14's (or whatever) w/ these rims & just put them on yesterday...

How do U put the caps on the front tires? The nut 4 the driveshaft sticks 2 far out. Bsides not wanting 2 advertise 4 Mazda, is there somewhere I can buy new caps that mayB bubble out a little or just not have the emblem? MayB put a flat disc/spacer Between the rotor & the rim 2 push the rim out some so the nut doesn't stick out as far (don't think it'd B 2 good an idea though)?

Do I need 2 buy new lug nuts? the angle of the sink that's supposed 2 go in2 the rim is greater than the RX-7, the flat part doesn't contact it... while it IS secured tight & is not going anywhere, just wasn't sure if I should still change them.

The knuckle get's VERY close 2 the tire on the back, the front is fine, is there some adjustment I need 2 make 2 put more room Btween the 2 in the back?

R there any other adjustments I need 2 make given that I've gone from a 14" 2 a 16x8" rim? I've got 'Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position' tires @ 225/50ZR16. The actual tire doesn't go up 2 much more than my old 14" Michellin 195/70R14's, do I need 2 adjust the speedometer, how? I've got the manual on CD, but didn't really C a section 4 it.

Also, it did jack up the car pretty good... what's the cheapest thing I can do 2 lower the car a bit while I save up 4 some Shunk2 coilovers?

They ride awesome, huge difference!!! I did loose a little bit of the low end, but not very much... my high end seems alot more responsive. Now I actually have 2 try 2 spin my tires out, the smoke great

Thanx 4 the info,
- J

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-19-02 07:51 AM, #1
RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-19-02 10:44 AM, #2
      RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-19-02 01:50 PM, #3
      RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-20-02 12:10 AM, #4
           RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 11:16 AM, #5
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., xEclipsE RaceRx, Aug-21-02 02:30 PM, #6
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:17 PM, #9
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:25 PM, #10
                RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:09 PM, #7
                     RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., J, Aug-21-02 04:15 PM, #8
                          RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., ModeratorVX100, Aug-22-02 01:49 AM, #11
                               RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., neoamd, Sep-03-02 01:01 PM, #12
                                    RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..., joshacu, Sep-03-02 02:50 PM, #13

ModeratorVX100Aug-19-02 07:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11600, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 0

>How do U put the caps on the front tires? The nut 4 the
>driveshaft sticks 2 far out.

You don't, not without 1/4 inch spacers or more. The caps won't fit without at least tht size spacer if not bigger. I would not get a bigger spacer just so you could put the caps on

Bsides not wanting 2 advertise
>4 Mazda, is there somewhere I can buy new caps that mayB
>bubble out a little or just not have the emblem? MayB put a
>flat disc/spacer Between the rotor & the rim 2 push the rim
>out some so the nut doesn't stick out as far (don't think
>it'd B 2 good an idea though)?

I don't know of any, most people just run them without a cap. If you can get something custom made that'd be great.

>Do I need 2 buy new lug nuts? the angle of the sink that's
>supposed 2 go in2 the rim is greater than the RX-7, the flat
>part doesn't contact it... while it IS secured tight & is
>not going anywhere, just wasn't sure if I should still
>change them.

You should NOT run the stock lug nuts! Get some aftermarket cone shaped lug nuts. They should cost about $1-$2 each, they will probably have a 30 degree cone pitch and I think ( I don't remember exactly) they will be a 12 by 1.5 inch thread pattern, or something like that. It will say it on the lug nut, I can check it when I get home.

>The knuckle get's VERY close 2 the tire on the back, the
>front is fine, is there some adjustment I need 2 make 2 put
>more room Btween the 2 in the back?

Run a 1/8th inch spacer and you'll have no problems with the tire rubbing against the knuckle. The offset is different for the RX-7 rims than for a stock rim, a 1/8th inch spacer gets the offset within 0.8mm of stock. A 225 really needs that spacer, if you have a 205 you might not need one.

>R there any other adjustments I need 2 make given that I've
>gone from a 14" 2 a 16x8" rim? I've got 'Bridgestone
>Potenza S-02 Pole Position' tires @ 225/50ZR16. The actual
>tire doesn't go up 2 much more than my old 14" Michellin
>195/70R14's, do I need 2 adjust the speedometer, how? I've
>got the manual on CD, but didn't really C a section 4 it.

Don't worry about the speedometer, the tire diameter isn't really enough to worry about re-adjusting that. If you are lowered I'd gt an alignment, but for the most part there ins't anythng else you would relly have to adjust.

>Also, it did jack up the car pretty good... what's the
>cheapest thing I can do 2 lower the car a bit while I save
>up 4 some Shunk2 coilovers?

I'd just wait until I got the coilovers and not worry about it, but that's just me.

>They ride awesome, huge difference!!! I did loose a little
>bit of the low end, but not very much... my high end seems
>alot more responsive. Now I actually have 2 try 2 spin my
>tires out, the smoke great

Actually you lost high end too, probably more than you realize. Trust me, I've drag raced with 195s on 14 inch rims and 225s on RX-7 rims. I very rarely use the RX-7 rims for drag racing anymore (the shootout was teh last time, and the year before I didn't use them at all for drag racing) and for a good reason, the 14s are very good in a straight line. I loose at least 2/10ths in the 1/4 mile, if not MORE, with the RX-7 rims and 225 tires compared to the 14s and 195 tires.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JAug-19-02 10:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11601, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 1

Wow, that was really informative... thanx! Now when U say spacers, do U mean just some metal washers or is there something specific 4 cars? I assume some kind of high-temp metal or something.

I won't waste any time looking 4 differend caps now, I'm going 2 get some new lug nuts 2night though. I trust I'm not causing any damage, just not as good a fit... it will B taken care of.

I'm suprised when U say I lost high end, I would think it would B greater in that the wheel doesn't have 2 turn as much 2 go a given distance once up 2 speed.

P.S.
I'm bottoming out now if I hit a big bump or take a turn really hard, I'm assuming Bcause the tire is now going deeper in2 the wheel well & it's EZr.

:: sigh :: need mo' money

Thanx again,
- J

- J

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-19-02 01:50 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#11602, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 2

I WANNA SEE !

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/Drop/

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

ModeratorVX100Aug-20-02 12:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#11603, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 2

>Wow, that was really informative... thanx!

You're welcome. That's what I'm here for

Now when U say
>spacers, do U mean just some metal washers or is there
>something specific 4 cars? I assume some kind of high-temp
>metal or something.

There are specific spacers made for putting on cars, but they should be easy to find. Just go to any local shop that sells rims for import/performance cars (there are about a million of these places now). Usually they are steel, but you might be able to find aluminum ones like I did (which are no big deal really). Either way they'll get the job done.

>I won't waste any time looking 4 differend caps now, I'm
>going 2 get some new lug nuts 2night though. I trust I'm
>not causing any damage, just not as good a fit... it will B
>taken care of.

I also doubt you're causing any damage, it's just that stock lug nuts don't fit that well and might not be a good idea over the long term as they MIGHT loosen up as you drive.

>I'm suprised when U say I lost high end, I would think it
>would B greater in that the wheel doesn't have 2 turn as
>much 2 go a given distance once up 2 speed.

Oh, I see you meant high end as high mph, as if your car can travel at a faster mph now due to the slight change in the final drive ratio. I don't know if it would really make that much a diffrence because with our gearing stock we could (if we had enough power) go about 162 mph or so (you'd be on the rev limiter in 5th gear at about 162mph). A taller tire would make it possible to travel at a higher mph, but we don't have to power to get even close to that (without a turbo kit) so the taller tire probably isn't affecting the top speed of the car, at least when it comes to gearing.

Now, the wider tires might actually slow the car's top speed down a few mph due to greater rolling resistance and more aerodynamic drag from just being a wider tire. (Yes, what may be small differences aerodynamically at low speeds become big differences as speed increases, because drag goes up with the square or the cube of your speed, I forget which.)

I meant high end as in power your car gets to the ground at high rpms (regardless of gears). For cars with relatively no power (that means us) turning 225 tires is alot harder than turning 195 tires. The heavier, wider tread will cause your car to be slower and put less power TO THE GROUND regardless of your rpms. That's what I meant when I said you are loosing high end as well.

>P.S.
>I'm bottoming out now if I hit a big bump or take a turn
>really hard, I'm assuming Bcause the tire is now going
>deeper in2 the wheel well & it's EZr.

Try getting that 1/8th or 1/4 inch spacer and see if that solves the problem.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

JAug-21-02 11:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11604, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 4

Well, I've got the new lug nuts... work fine. Haven't gotten the spacers yet. I saw just some steel 1's @ AutoZone, but they were 2 thin & I'd rather go 2 a hardware store & get 1 thick high-temp washers instead of putting a bunch 2gether.

It was my understanding, that U'd only need 2 adjust the camber (or get a kit if outside specs) if U lowered your car... I've noticed that the tires are now leaning in2 the car // CAR \\. Don't know if it's a new development Bcause of the tires or if I just didn't notice on my 14's. Do I need 2 take it in 2 get an alignment or do U think I will need 2 get a camber adj kit?

P.S.
My PC wouldn't let me sign on2 the 2gnt forums 4 some reason, I could read everything just fine... would show the main forum page when I click logon, reply, or post... weird.

P.P.S.
Saw your (Michael) car @ the parking lot, hope it was yours anyways... left a note saying hi.

P.P.P.S.
I'll up some pics here in a bit if I can =)

- J

- J

xEclipsE RaceRxAug-21-02 02:30 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#11605, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 5

Yea I got it...i felt all special lol...did you ever finish yur interior?

Check Out My Site For Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/Drop/

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

JAug-21-02 04:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11606, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 6

Michael, LaD & I have been debating something... did U take that pic @ the blockbuster in front of the old Albertsons on Murf Rd?

- J

- J

JAug-21-02 04:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11607, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 6

Well, no... didn't finish the interior. A whole bunch of stuff got put on hold, I just graduated (4 THE LAST TIME!) w/ my masters. I'm just now getting back 2 things. I really, really need 2 touch up my door panels. Also, 2nd gear synchronizer still out. Could've gotten it fixed, but I got a screw stuck in the sidewall of my old, bald 195's. So I got these rims instead, been planning on getting them 4 months now, waiting 4 the tread 2 burn.

4 Rims + 4 tires (he showed me a receipt 4 $800 just 4 the tires w/ almost all tread left, crazy how much he paid) + 2 more tires not yet @ the wear bar... basically 2 burn 4 free or use (also Z rated =)... all 4 $600, was shooting 4 less... but was happy w/ 6 tires.

- J

- J

JAug-21-02 04:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11608, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 5

Hope it worx...

- J

- J

JAug-21-02 04:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#11609, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 7

U're right in assuming high end w/ high rpm's, I just said it wrong... what I should've said is that it C'ms more responsive @ high speeds. When I jerk the car, it turns much quicker... aka more tire on the ground. Also, I don't slow down 4 turns much anymore. Can't take 'em 2 hard though as my tires hit the chassis sometimes.

P.S.
Any thoughts on adjusting the camber?

P.P.S.
I was very suprised as 2 how light these rims R, I basically threw them up in the air 2 put them in trash bags when I bought them. Very light, kewl =)

- J

- J

ModeratorVX100Aug-22-02 01:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#11610, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 8

I wouldn't worry about the camber. It's just more noticeable with bigger rims and shorter sidewalls. A high sidewall tire flexes more so you don't realy see the camber as much with it.

Yes, teh RX-7 rims are VERY light and wide, not to mention you can pick them up very cheap these days, which is why I reccomend them so much if you are looking for a better wheel for your car.

I can take on ramps much faster with the RX-7 rims on too too bad the car is faster in the 1/4 with the 14s

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

neoamdSep-03-02 01:01 PM
Member since Jul 02nd 2002
109 posts,
#11611, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 11

Yeah they are nice. Im eventually going to buy some Konig Villians (18x8.5 in front and 18x10 in the back) Ill be selling my stockers then. Ill post once this occurs.. maybe a while as I want a ECU and a midpipe! Can you say 12's!.. that is if i can launch the thing without spinning.. o well..

Josh

---------------------------]
www.neoamd.net/car/rex.htm
^ my RX7

joshacuSep-03-02 02:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
625 posts,
#11612, "RE: 3rd Gen RX-7 Rim Q's..."
In response to Reply # 12

where is the best place to get them, also price range to look for.
-Josh

15.882@86.27

AEM Cai
greddy headers,
apex-i n1 catback
afx udp
energy suspension
motor mounts
cf altezza tail lights
bored t/b
magnecore wires
hotter plugs
random tech hi-flow cat
symborski shift-kit
c/f hood

15.882@86.27

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11599 Previous topic | Next topic