Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107000
View in threaded mode

Subject: "TWINCHARGED 420a Build " 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
DSM-ZEROJul-29-09 10:52 PM
Member since Jul 01st 2003
62 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107000, "TWINCHARGED 420a Build "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok everyone time to let everyone know that im going to build a twincharged 420a using a m90 supercharger and a T3/T4 turbo..

I have been doing alot of searching around and the only company i found that even makes a supercharger kit for the 420a is Boosthead.com or Thomas Knight. Some of us know thomas knight from the past as the only on that makes a Roots based kit for the 420a.

My goals
1. be the first twincharged 420a.
2. Have about 300tq from 2krpm all the way to red line.
3. This car is my daily driver so its not going to be too crazy lol..i say that but we know how the last car turned out..
4. Also this time around Im going to do all the work my self!!! except for some fab here and there.

its going to be a pretty mild build im going to tune the car on either the portfueler or the symtech PnP if i can get my hands one one lol

I would like this car to see some track time also

661hp & 463tq Worlds highest hp 2gnt soon to be the fastest

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
whtclipse98Jul-30-09 02:27 AM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#107001, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 0

You are a very sick man you know.

Take lots of pics to show all of us so we can drool over it too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-30-09 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#107002, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 0

No one makes a readily-available supercharger kit for this platform. Build your own.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ModeratortekleinJul-30-09 09:13 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#107003, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DarkOne
No one makes a readily-available supercharger kit for this platform. Build your own.

There was a Thomas Knight on Craigslist a while ago near me, never inquired about it though.

Thomas Knight has stopped making them btw.

eclipse982nrRSTJul-30-09 11:44 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#107004, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 3

Ehhh

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

420agreenvilleSCJul-30-09 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#107005, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-30-09 02:01 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by DSM-ZERO
the symtech PnP if i can get my hands one one lol

yes, contact symtech about that, report back when he sells you one.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

dalesmitsuJul-30-09 02:24 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#107006, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by DarkOne No one makes a readily-available supercharger kit for this platform. Build your own.
There was a Thomas Knight on Craigslist a while ago near me, never inquired about it though. Thomas Knight has stopped making them btw.

Is he related to this guy

DSM-ZEROJul-30-09 07:09 PM
Member since Jul 01st 2003
62 posts,
#107007, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 5

i have actually personally talked to thomas knight and he will make a M62 SC kit for the 420a. So there should be no problem with me getting a SC kit...

Yes as always there will be lots of pics

661hp & 463tq Worlds highest hp 2gnt soon to be the fastest

alain95i4Aug-01-09 04:27 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#107008, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 7
Aug-01-09 04:31 PM by alain95i4

Originally posted by DSM-ZERO
i have actually personally talked to thomas knight and he will make a M62 SC kit for the 420a. So there should be no problem with me getting a SC kit...

untill you see the ending results !
my 420a manifold flange from Thomas Knight didn't even had the right exhaust ports pattern on it I had to pay twice as much for a machine shop job on it, and it didn't bolt properly without grinding extra material

Gino Dion several years ago on the Avenger/Sebring forum spent around $7k for a Thomas Knight 6g73 superchager kit and had to rebuilt 3/4 of the kit because of poor craftmanship from Knight and he used many used and old parts

as for you kit you will get a pulley which will use the alternator as a tensioner bearing, an adaptor to bolt a eaton 3.8L GM supercharger on the stock manifold and a nightmare to make it work and stay sealed

if you want that level of power get a T66 turbo a serious 2.4 built swap and a management system

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

eclipse982nrRSTAug-01-09 05:01 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#107009, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by alain95i4
Originally posted by DSM-ZERO i have actually personally talked to thomas knight and he will make a M62 SC kit for the 420a. So there should be no problem with me getting a SC kit...
untill you see the ending results ! my 420a manifold flange from Thomas Knight didn't even had the right exhaust ports pattern on it I had to pay twice as much for a machine shop job on it, and it didn't bolt properly without grinding extra material Gino Dion several years ago on the Avenger/Sebring forum spent around $7k for a Thomas Knight 6g73 superchager kit and had to rebuilt 3/4 of the kit because of poor craftmanship from Knight and he used many used and old parts as for you kit you will get a pulley which will use the alternator as a tensioner bearing, an adaptor to bolt a eaton 3.8L GM supercharger on the stock manifold and a nightmare to make it work and stay sealed if you want that level of power get a T66 turbo a serious 2.4 built swap and a management system Alain

Good info. And thats why I said above....

Ehhh

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

TeamDR1665Aug-01-09 05:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#107010, "RE: TWINCHARGED 420a Build "
In response to Reply # 9

Having worked on and driven a twincharged DSM, I will tell you right now, up front, before you blow an incredible amount of time and money learning things the hard way, there is no kit out there and - even if there was - you wouldn't want it, because it will be designed to be a stand alone installation.

Seriously, do you want to have anything from an outfit known around the automotive community as selling half-assed crap as part of your one-off build? What's the point of that? Supercharging a 2GNT isn't hard, it's just that everyone wants the easy way out - off the shelf so they don't have to actually know what the fuck they're doing.

That's the worst kind of tuner, man. Nobody likes those choads who just spend their way to the top. It's why SRT4 owners with MOPAR STAGE WHATEVER and half the guys out there with 400hp Evos get no respect. They don't install their own parts. They don't tune their own cars. They're pretentious fuckwits who don't appreciate what it takes to truly build a performance vehicle. They don't know the half of it.

How are you going to plumb this system? Are you going to use dual stage inter/aftercooling? Water to air considerations? All these decisions factor into HOW the supercharger will be installed.

If you're going to really go through with this, you want to do it right, which means you don't buy some kit from some guy just because he's the only guy you can find out there who offers a supercharger kit for the platform.

I've seen Ray's twincharged Talon go through numerous designs and been there in the middle of the desert in the middle of the night when we're having to crazy clue things together so the car will make any boost at all. Now he's making more than 500lb-ft across the board and having to design his own clutch because he doesn't want to spend thousands on some twin disk that he'll just grease anyway.

You don't put a project of this nature in someone else's hands unless that person has a proven track record of specializing in those concepts. And, in case this still doesn't make sense, Thomas Knight does NOT have the track record to support his involvement - on any level - in your project.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #107000 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic