Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8716
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
sd240Apr-21-09 09:12 AM
Member since May 25th 2003
298 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8716, "Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
Mar-14-05 01:04 PM by sd240

Sorry I'm so dumb, but I've been trying to tune my car and now everything has me confused. Ok first off I know you souldn't tune by O2 readings, but what is the ideal voltage for the car to be running at during WOT, I've been told .50 volts, but I'm not sure. Next is a fuel question, I'll just tell you my set up and take all the comments on how I need an afpr and smaller injectors, but here it is...I have a 255lbh fuel pump, 650 injectors, stock fpr, safc and stock 14b set at ~16psi. my low throttle settings are about -30 all across, and i've been changing my hi throttle all the time, but at -50 from 2000RPM up and when boost gets up to about 5psi it starts knocking really bad and O2 reads .78-.85. Now I know you all are going to say that I have way too much fuel with the 255 and 650's but with the safc turned all the way down to -50 it shouldn't still be running that rich should it? I'd appreciate any input at all, thanks.

93 Tsi AWD-SAFC I, Apexi N1 turbo back, MBC, K&N w/ hacked can,
Walbro 255, Accel wires, 650cc injectors, stage 3 dsmchip

97 Neon ACR-Stock

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
HybriDSMMar-14-05 01:39 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8717, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-14-05 01:49 PM by HybriDSM

Well in terms of start off settings, do the quick math. 650's are 200 ccs bigger than 450's. 200/650 is 30.7%, so let's call it 31%. Set the SAFC at -31% across the board and you have stock fuel levels just like if you had the 450's in there. Taking 31% off 650 leaves you with the 450's, so you have a "zeroed out" starting point. Now, no "too much fuel" problem to worry about. You were overcompensating WAY too much by making it -50% when ou are in boost in hi throttle. You are now basicaly running 325 cc injectors at 16 psi on a turbo car. Way Lean, much knock, engine explode.

As far as O2's go: With 91 octane, you'd like to see .93 or so, give or take a few hundredths. With higher octane, that number can dip to .91 or so, and with race gas, into the high to mid .80's. When you are getting .75-.85 on pump gas, you are way lean. WAY lean and I can see why you are knocking. The 14b at 16 psi will likely need a few extra % in the small end (1000-4500 rpm) and even more fuel going up to redline. Tune the Hi settings first. It' easiest to set the lo and hi points at 20% and 80% respectively. Then once you have the car tuned for hi setting's just leave the low settings close to stock, or maybe a little richer than stock. At less than 20% throttle, your fuel trims aren't super important. You're cruising at that level so knock isn't much of an issue. Anywhere in between in partial throttle, the SAFC will create the proper trim based on an average of the lo and high settings for that point.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-14-05 07:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8718, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Well in terms of start off settings, do the quick math. 650's are 200 ccs bigger than 450's. 200/650 is 30.7%, so let's call it 31%. Set the SAFC at -31% across the board and you have stock fuel levels just like if you had the 450's in there. Taking 31% off 650 leaves you with the 450's, so you have a "zeroed out" starting point.

cool. I never actually thought about figuring it out from a mathmatical perspective. I guess I tuned my lo settings pretty well because it's really close.
I'm still super rich while boosting but a boost leak is the culprit. I need to get a reducer for my uicp/tb connection. As hard as I tried, I get get it to seal tight enough.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

sd240Mar-15-05 02:42 AM
298 posts,
#8719, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 2

wow, I guess some of my information was a little off, or maybe more than a little. Thanks for telling me before I blew up my car. I got everything set a little better lastnight, and knock calmed down a lot, so now I guess I'll try to fine tune it today. One last question though...Does anybody else have a problem with extremely high oil pressure? I don't mean it goes up and comes back down after a while, I'm saying it is always way up there.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

TeamJeff_99gsMar-15-05 09:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#8720, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 3

I just wanted to say Matt did an awesome job with his reply.

ModeratoreclipzGSTMar-16-05 08:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#8721, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Jeff_99gs
I just wanted to say Matt did an awesome job with his reply.

He most CERTAINLY did! Silver star for you.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

RST95eclipseMar-17-05 11:54 AM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#8722, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 5

Agreed. Very well put.

sd240Mar-17-05 03:03 PM
298 posts,
#8723, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 6

Ok it seems like my 02 sensor doesn't want to go above .89 volts, and I was even killing my car with too much fuel(black smoke/bogging-rich knock). How high are these sensors supposed to go. Also on high throttle with 2000-7000 set at -25 my o2 reads .76...I'm guessing problem. Is the voltage problem a sign that my o2 is shot or what?

97 Neon ACR-Stock

420a-TnthewerksMar-17-05 03:12 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8724, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-17-05 03:24 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by sd240
Ok it seems like my 02 sensor doesn't want to go above .89 volts, and I was even killing my car with too much fuel(black smoke/bogging-rich knock). How high are these sensors supposed to go. Also on high throttle with 2000-7000 set at -25 my o2 reads .76...I'm guessing problem. Is the voltage problem a sign that my o2 is shot or what?

That's a sign you're way too lean up top. Definately give it more fuel where those o2 numbers are.

Edit- You got .89 with it killing the engine? Maybe your o2 sensor is bad or the connection is bad. Get a pocketlogger.

sd240Mar-17-05 03:24 PM
298 posts,
#8725, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-17-05 03:30 PM by sd240

What I'm saying is that under WOT my o2 only reads about .76(lean I know)with the hi throttle settings at -25, however it keeps sputtering and has really black smoke(from too rich). My question is what do I do since I'm bogging my car down from too much fuel (rich) while the o2 is saying that it's running too lean. and as soon as it gets past 5lbs of boost the knock sensor goes crazy and shoots all the way up, no matter what the hi throttle settings are(richer or leaner)

Edit: I have a pocket logger with the MMCd, but how can I upload it to my computer? Also I have a chip that converts the factory boost gauge to a knock gauge, so that's what I mean by the knock shoots all the way up.

97 Neon ACR-Stock

420a-TnthewerksMar-17-05 03:26 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#8726, "RE: Couple of fuel questions here, and yes I should know this stuff by now...but I'm confused"
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-17-05 03:32 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by sd240
My low throttle settings are all at -31, I know what he told me to do, he did a great job explaining. What I'm saying is that under WOT my o2 only reads about .76(lean I know)with the hi throttle settings at -25, however it keeps sputtering and has really black smoke(from too rich). My question is what do I do since I'm bogging my car down from too much fuel (rich) while the o2 is saying that it's running too lean. and as soon as it gets past 5lbs of boost the knock sensor goes crazy and shoots all the way up, no matter what the hi throttle settings are(richer or leaner) Edit: I have a pocket logger with the MMCd, but how can I upload it to my computer?

Well, I don't know then, something is definately wrong with those low o2 readings and too much fuel. Check the o2 sensor is all I got lol.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #8716 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic