Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31772
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Power Steering Removal" 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic
RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 02:38 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31772, "Power Steering Removal"

I have more problems with my power steering then I think anyone can ever have. My belt has shoot off more than 15 times and is has gotten tangled in my timing belt several times which you all know caused a ton of damage.

I had my unorthodox under drive pulley taken off and replaced back to stock, had it checked to see if it’s aligned. I also replaced the power steering pump. The problem still exists and no matter who I take it to they claim to fix it and then it happens again.

I am sick and tired of it causing me problems so I have come to the decision to remove it. I have the phantom LSD on my car. I was wondering what do I need to do to take the power steering out of my car.

I understand that I am going to need to drain the power steering fluid but I wasn’t sure what else to do following that. I want it to be a little less work trying to turn or park because to my understanding the reason why it is so hard now is because I am trying to push the fluid through manually.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&imageuser=24657

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 09:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31773, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 0

Probably the tensioner bearing failing that is making it come off, but okay.

There's two lines going into the PS rack. Connect them together.

Rip everything else out.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 10:49 AM
61 posts,
#31774, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 1

Am I going to have any problems when I connect the two lines going into the PS rack and then Rip everything else out.

Is removing the PS going to cause any problem is what I am getting at?

FluxCapacitorNov-03-06 11:15 AM
Member since Oct 26th 2006
26 posts,
#31775, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes it will cause you problems. The ps system is made to have ps fluid in it while the car is running, using the ps system without the fluid circulating through it will cause the gears inside the power steering to chew themselves up. You want to convert to MANUAL steering, and I hear the parts for that are not only hard to find, but it's a pain in the ass to install. But yeah, I would recommend against just disconnecting the lines to your power steering.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 11:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31776, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 3

That's why you connect the lines on the rack together. it keeps the fluid in it, and instead of pushing fluid from the rack, you're just moving it from one side to the other.

For what its worth, you *can* just disconnect the lines. The rack won't implode or fall apart if you do.

No manual rack for a 2GNT exists.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

RebelRiderR6Nov-03-06 12:39 PM
61 posts,
#31777, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 4

So if I connect the lines on the rack together to keep the fluid in it, and instead of pushing fluid from the rack, I will just be moving it from one side to the other, will this still make it easier to steer? (ex: parking)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-03-06 02:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31778, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 5

No, not really. It's going to be hard regardless of what you do.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

RebelRiderR6Nov-04-06 03:24 AM
61 posts,
#31779, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 6

I understand its going to be hard, but I guess where I am getting at is when I take it out and connect those tubes will it be alittle easier then how it was when I had everything still in there?

Do I have any other options?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-04-06 04:21 AM
8331 posts,
#31780, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 7

It will be the same as it is now with no belt. Your option is to fix the issue and keep the power steering.

Terry

dsmmythNov-04-06 12:20 PM
Member since Aug 24th 2004
1178 posts,
#31781, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, no power steering sucks. Big time.

Unless you're not driving daily, then you really don't need PS.

1998 Eclipse GS

GS-T Axleback|CAI|OBX 4-1 Header|AF/X UDP|

Originally posted by Kaoz78
Did you happen to look at the post date of this topic? I didn't think so there Jesus. Way to raise Lazarus, buddy.

RebelRiderR6Dec-10-06 04:51 PM
61 posts,
#31782, "RE: Power Steering Removal"
In response to Reply # 9

okay I ended up not removing my powersteering but we decided just to use a belt for the powersteering and no ac. My mechanic checked over the stepup and everything seems okay until the drive homl\
Well I was at a stop light and I shifted into neutral and did a light rev and I felt the belt slip off. I pulled over and yes it slipped off with no noticable marks on the belt. What can explain this for keep happening?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31772 1 | 2 | 3 | Previous topic | Next topic