Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31758
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Power Steering On and Off?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
Shadow2877Jun-16-07 06:41 PM
Member since Apr 15th 2007
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31758, "Power Steering On and Off?"
Jun-16-07 08:14 PM by Shadow2877

Hey guys,

Recently I just got my new powersteering pump installed and I have been loving it but today I ran into a problem. I live here in Texas so it constantly gets to 95+ degrees out here and Im always running around with the AC on. Today it was a little humid so I turned the air conditioning on. The air that was comming out wasnt as cool as I liked it to be, so I pushed the little Snowflake button next to the AC controls and found a remarkable difference in the tempature of the air that came threw the vents.

When I push that button though, my idle drops about 100 rpms and my power steering cuts in and out. The moment I turn the little snowflake button off the power steering cuts back in perfectly and I am able to drive no problem at all but the moment I push it again, the air gets noticeably colder but the power steering pump begins to act up to. . . .

EDIT: I dont know if this will help anyone but I forgot to mention when I push the snowflake button a green light comes on and it flashes on and off over and over again as I move the steering wheel side to side. But if the car is off and I push the button or I start the car and dont move the steering wheel anywhere the light just stays green. Could this mean something is going or is out?

Any suggestions?
-Cody

---------------------------------------
1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
BigRandJun-16-07 07:55 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2005
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31759, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 0

2 things...dealership fluid in the new pump is a must, so check your level there and see if its okay or not leaking anywhere.

2nd, check the tension on the belt.

And one last thing....you did have your ac recharged when you put on the new pump? Maybe the system is full with freeon.

~Randy
99 GS(w/turbo)
285whp/300ft-lbs

Myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/420aturbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Shadow2877Jun-16-07 08:12 PM
67 posts,
#31760, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-16-07 08:16 PM by Shadow2877

Originally posted by BigRand
2 things...dealership fluid in the new pump is a must, so check your level there and see if its okay or not leaking anywhere. 2nd, check the tension on the belt. And one last thing....you did have your ac recharged when you put on the new pump? Maybe the system is full with freeon.

I forgot to mention when I said new, its actually a used pump pulled off another car. I checked my power steering pump tank and it might actually be leaking slightly. the fluids seem lower then what I saw earlyer today. Then tension on the belt is fine, as for the A/C recharge thing I might need to get one done, to my knowledge I dont think any of that has been done in a while.

1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-16-07 10:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31761, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 2

The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Shadow2877Jun-16-07 11:28 PM
67 posts,
#31762, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkOne
The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.

Is the power steering belt the same as the accessory belt or are they two differnt belts?

1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-16-07 11:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#31763, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Shadow2877
Originally posted by DarkOne The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.
Is the power steering belt the same as the accessory belt or are they two differnt belts?

There are only three belts on a 2GNT - a timing belt, an alternator belt, and an accessory belt. The ACC belt turns the AC and power steering. If, when you fully engage the AC, you lose power steering I'd say its a sure sign the belt is slipping. They don't always squeel, you know.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

VelocitaPaolaJun-17-07 06:41 AM
Member since Jun 13th 2005
626 posts,
#31764, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-17-07 06:41 AM by VelocitaPaola

Originally posted by DarkOne
There are only three belts on a 2GNT - a timing belt, an alternator belt, and an accessory belt. The ACC belt turns the AC and power steering. If, when you fully engage the AC, you lose power steering I'd say its a sure sign the belt is slipping. They don't always squeel, you know.

Also, the flashing A/C button light is supposed to indicate a lock-up condition where the clutch in the compressor is engaged, but not spinning. That should indirectly clue you in to an improperly tensioned belt.

Dino's more empirical method of diagnostics works too...

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

totaleclipse_05Jun-17-07 07:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
#31765, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 6

Also, you can use regular power steering fluid as well. Don't need the dealership stuff. I had to drain out a lot of the fluid a couple years back to repair my metal high pressure line on the power steering and used just regular fluid and it worked fine, no noises or any different feeling.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

talon749Jun-17-07 07:38 AM
Member since Jul 13th 2005
421 posts,
#31766, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 7

hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!

-Keith

'92 BMW 325i - 3.91 LSD....Cold air intake....M52 headers.....Track pipe....Remus back....Fan Delete....UUC short throw...M3 Clutch Flywheel & Drive Shaft...Tien Coil overs

I <3 the twisties

2GeclipseRSJun-18-07 06:07 PM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#31767, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by talon749
hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!

I cant wait to see how long it takes me to do this.

My power steering was possessed actually. My car was spraying fluid all over the passenger side wheel well. Fluid was leaking out of the cap. The tension on the belt was low. The bearing in the pulley has a good bit of play. Now, i'd go to turn and the wheel would want to go the other way or go side to side spastically. The best thing i ever did was cut that belt the fuck off. this was after i put fluid in it. I tried to put some tension down on the belt to see if it would work but it was slipping off so i snipped it off. I'd like to have power steering again someday maybe.

Originally posted by DarkOne The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.

Are you serious. Is that your arm in your sig?

Shadow2877Jun-18-07 06:27 PM
67 posts,
#31768, "RE: Power Steering On and Off?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Originally posted by talon749 hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!
I cant wait to see how long it takes me to do this. My power steering was possessed actually. My car was spraying fluid all over the passenger side wheel well. Fluid was leaking out of the cap. The tension on the belt was low. The bearing in the pulley has a good bit of play. Now, i'd go to turn and the wheel would want to go the other way or go side to side spastically. The best thing i ever did was cut that belt the fuck off. this was after i put fluid in it. I tried to put some tension down on the belt to see if it would work but it was slipping off so i snipped it off. I'd like to have power steering again someday maybe.
Are you serious. Is that your arm in your sig?

Lol, why is it everytime I post something the topic gets focused to my arm . Yea it is, yes im crazy to get it, Its a memorial to my first and favorite car. For a bigger picture scroll all the way down on this page:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23909&mesg_id=23909&page=&topic_page=4

Thanks for the help guys on the pump, im going to take it by the shop prob tommorrow and do all the things you guys mentioned here.

Mitsubishi 4 Life,
-Cody

1997 Eclipse GS
Current Working On:
Suspension/Handling

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31758 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic