Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectPower Steering On and Off?
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=31758
31758, Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by Shadow2877, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I just got my new powersteering pump installed and I have been loving it but today I ran into a problem. I live here in Texas so it constantly gets to 95+ degrees out here and Im always running around with the AC on. Today it was a little humid so I turned the air conditioning on. The air that was comming out wasnt as cool as I liked it to be, so I pushed the little Snowflake button next to the AC controls and found a remarkable difference in the tempature of the air that came threw the vents.

When I push that button though, my idle drops about 100 rpms and my power steering cuts in and out. The moment I turn the little snowflake button off the power steering cuts back in perfectly and I am able to drive no problem at all but the moment I push it again, the air gets noticeably colder but the power steering pump begins to act up to. . . .

EDIT: I dont know if this will help anyone but I forgot to mention when I push the snowflake button a green light comes on and it flashes on and off over and over again as I move the steering wheel side to side. But if the car is off and I push the button or I start the car and dont move the steering wheel anywhere the light just stays green. Could this mean something is going or is out?

Any suggestions?
-Cody
31759, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by BigRand, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
2 things...dealership fluid in the new pump is a must, so check your level there and see if its okay or not leaking anywhere.

2nd, check the tension on the belt.

And one last thing....you did have your ac recharged when you put on the new pump? Maybe the system is full with freeon.
31760, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by BigRand
2 things...dealership fluid in the new pump is a must, so check your level there and see if its okay or not leaking anywhere. 2nd, check the tension on the belt. And one last thing....you did have your ac recharged when you put on the new pump? Maybe the system is full with freeon.

I forgot to mention when I said new, its actually a used pump pulled off another car. I checked my power steering pump tank and it might actually be leaking slightly. the fluids seem lower then what I saw earlyer today. Then tension on the belt is fine, as for the A/C recharge thing I might need to get one done, to my knowledge I dont think any of that has been done in a while.
31761, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.
31762, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by DarkOne
The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.

Is the power steering belt the same as the accessory belt or are they two differnt belts?

31763, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by Shadow2877
Originally posted by DarkOne The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.
Is the power steering belt the same as the accessory belt or are they two differnt belts?

There are only three belts on a 2GNT - a timing belt, an alternator belt, and an accessory belt. The ACC belt turns the AC and power steering. If, when you fully engage the AC, you lose power steering I'd say its a sure sign the belt is slipping. They don't always squeel, you know.
31764, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by VelocitaPaola, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by DarkOne
There are only three belts on a 2GNT - a timing belt, an alternator belt, and an accessory belt. The ACC belt turns the AC and power steering. If, when you fully engage the AC, you lose power steering I'd say its a sure sign the belt is slipping. They don't always squeel, you know.

Also, the flashing A/C button light is supposed to indicate a lock-up condition where the clutch in the compressor is engaged, but not spinning. That should indirectly clue you in to an improperly tensioned belt.

Dino's more empirical method of diagnostics works too...

-http://www.symtechlabs.com/-

31765, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by totaleclipse_05, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Also, you can use regular power steering fluid as well. Don't need the dealership stuff. I had to drain out a lot of the fluid a couple years back to repair my metal high pressure line on the power steering and used just regular fluid and it worked fine, no noises or any different feeling.
31766, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by talon749, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!
31767, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by talon749
hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!

I cant wait to see how long it takes me to do this.

My power steering was possessed actually. My car was spraying fluid all over the passenger side wheel well. Fluid was leaking out of the cap. The tension on the belt was low. The bearing in the pulley has a good bit of play. Now, i'd go to turn and the wheel would want to go the other way or go side to side spastically. The best thing i ever did was cut that belt the fuck off. this was after i put fluid in it. I tried to put some tension down on the belt to see if it would work but it was slipping off so i snipped it off. :D I'd like to have power steering again someday maybe.

Originally posted by DarkOne The accessory belt is slipping. Retension it or replace it.

Are you serious. Is that your arm in your sig?

31768, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
Originally posted by talon749 hey I had this same problem a while back, I needed to flush the PS system, I just took it to a shop and had them do it, after that It never did it again!
I cant wait to see how long it takes me to do this. My power steering was possessed actually. My car was spraying fluid all over the passenger side wheel well. Fluid was leaking out of the cap. The tension on the belt was low. The bearing in the pulley has a good bit of play. Now, i'd go to turn and the wheel would want to go the other way or go side to side spastically. The best thing i ever did was cut that belt the fuck off. this was after i put fluid in it. I tried to put some tension down on the belt to see if it would work but it was slipping off so i snipped it off. :D I'd like to have power steering again someday maybe.
Are you serious. Is that your arm in your sig?

Lol, why is it everytime I post something the topic gets focused to my arm :P. Yea it is, yes im crazy to get it, Its a memorial to my first and favorite car. For a bigger picture scroll all the way down on this page:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=60&topic_id=23909&mesg_id=23909&page=&topic_page=4

Thanks for the help guys on the pump, im going to take it by the shop prob tommorrow and do all the things you guys mentioned here.

Mitsubishi 4 Life,
-Cody
31769, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Posted by 2GeclipseRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
More balls than i got. I wouldn't do it. Granted, the first car ever that i saw that i wanted was a teal eagle talon when they first came out with the 2g and i've been a fan ever since, i still wouldn't get something like that. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It's nicely done. I've seen a few diamond start tatoos that were mad uneven.

I checked that thread btw. The guy who had his cavilier tatted up on his arm..... Holy cheetos batman! WTF????

1. It's a cavilier

2. It's a ricey cavilier

3. It looks like it was drawn on by a 10 year old.
31770, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
More balls than i got. I wouldn't do it. Granted, the first car ever that i saw that i wanted was a teal eagle talon when they first came out with the 2g and i've been a fan ever since, i still wouldn't get something like that. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It's nicely done. I've seen a few diamond start tatoos that were mad uneven. I checked that thread btw. The guy who had his cavilier tatted up on his arm..... Holy cheetos batman! WTF???? 1. It's a cavilier 2. It's a ricey cavilier 3. It looks like it was drawn on by a 10 year old.

Yea I wasnt to big of a fan of that one, but more power to ya if ya like it :) the guy who actually did mine messed up a little bit but I had the boss man come in and fix it for me. Lots of planning, drawing, and researching on how to spell "Mitsubishi" in japanese went into it. It might need a slight re-coloring in a year or two but for now im happy with it.
31771, RE: Power Steering On and Off?
Originally posted by VelocitaPaola
Dino's more empirical method of diagnostics works too...

My advice doesn't come from knowing what I am talking about (well, yeah, I know what I am talking about, but that is beside the point...), but from destroying something and then having to learn how to fix it in a hurry.

My troubleshooting method, when confronted with a problem I can't understand from the FSM or TIM, is to beat the everliving shit out of the car until something fails or until the ECU gives me a code. Either way, I win. Innumerable questions have been answered because I frustratedly flogged the car until it told me what was wrong, one way or another.

*edit*

True, though - try to turn your AC on with the belt off, and the button blinks. The ECU monitors compressor RPM and compares it to engine RPM and if the two don't match over a certain unknown amount of time, the AC belt is slipping and it disengages the clutch.

How many of you knew the AC compressor had a toothed wheel inside it to measure RPM? Raise your hands.
I generated this page in 0.012228012084961 seconds, executing 7 queries.