Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28824
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Huge Problem With Springs and Tires" 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 11:09 AM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28824, "Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"

Ok, so my girlfriend calls me today leaves me voicemail about how I am so done dumping money into my car.. Of course I laugh as soon as I hear this. She tells me how her dad put the new tires on my car and its rubbing. Now how is this possible? Prokits and tires are 225/40/18. Now I have heard of people running setups identical to mine and they never had a problem and worst case scenario was people running Sportlines and they just rolled there fenders. So whats the deal. Anyone ever hear of a problem like this with prokits? Could this be because it is out of camber?

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 11:52 AM
2386 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#28825, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-02-06 12:02 PM by EclipseTenzoR

Bump of urgency, because the stock springs may go back on soon. Girlfriend does'nt have much time to mess with this before she brings it down.

Edit: Weird question but also could my dampening settings control compression of my springs? I never thought so before but my girlfriend turned the dial once before when the car was sagging and it lifted up so I don't know.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

.bs0dMar-02-06 12:38 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#28826, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-02-06 01:07 PM by .bs0d

I am having the same problem, sort of. Heres my case:

_Brand_New_Parts: all new tires (Nexens: 225-45-ZR17) Prokits, DropZone shocks, Ingalls Camber kit (front and back).

Also, i've replaced: upper balljoints + control arms, rack & pinion, passenger side wheel hub assembly and probably more im forgetting right now.

When i go sort of tight around a corner, or hit a medium size bump, you can hear it rub (the front driver side tire).

i had 2 friends with me the other day, And when I was going around corners, i heard the back tires rubbing too!

its weird, on the front tires, i can barely fit 2 finger in between the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. The rear driver side is a little higher than the front. But on the rear passenger side, i can fit 3 fingers... maybe i need to get the car on some level ground for sure and measure, but thats pretty weird.

i dont know if there is anyway to adust anything. My suspension parts are new, so i'd like to know whats up as well.

sorry: forgot to mention that just last week i went up and got alignment on the front and back

ErikMar-02-06 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28827, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 2

When you guys put your springs in, did you get the top coil seat onto the groove? I really don't think that would cause too much of a problem and you might see it in the ride height. Also, is the noise that you hear scrubbing from the rear? If your alignment is out, it will scrub and maybe not be rubbing against something. One last thing, is what is the offset of the wheels? Tenzo, since your offset is correct, then you have no probs. If her's are not, then the tire size may actually be the problem, granted that you don't want to buy another set of wheels.

.bs0dMar-02-06 01:12 PM
597 posts,
#28828, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-02-06 01:55 PM by .bs0d

should have mentioned it... because now look what happened after I went up town after typing that last message

the place where i bought my rims said i need 215 x 45 x 17 to fit correctly, but i already had these (225 x 45 x 17). Is it the size? i dont know what else it is, because i've replaced nearly every part of my suspension it seems

EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 03:38 PM
2386 posts,
#28830, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 4

Yea, I think the stock springs are going back on. The car is getting a complete overhaul, new axles, new tie bar the works I just want it running rite.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

98starGSMar-02-06 04:28 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
#28832, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 5

my rears were rubbing with sportlines and agx's i just took a cut off wheel and took that lip off the inner wheel well. i haven't had my fronts rub tho...

EclipseTenzoRMar-02-06 04:36 PM
2386 posts,
#28834, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 6

whats the deal with offset on rims. How does that effect things

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

ErikMar-02-06 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#28835, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 7

225/45/17 is not right. My sister and I run 215/45/17. That is also the closest diameter for the speedo. The offset and width of the wheel makes a huge difference if you have a rubbing prob. I think we use +38 offset. If it is different, then you should consider tire sizes. The width can play the same game. You may be be able to fit a wider tire on the rim, but it may not be right. I'd have to look up the ackerman angle to explain it. It's really been a long time since I've done any suspension work.

.bs0dMar-03-06 01:52 AM
597 posts,
#28836, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-03-06 02:46 AM by .bs0d

so i should go with 215/45/17, depending on the offset of my rims? wish I had known that before as well

EclipseTenzoRMar-03-06 02:31 AM
2386 posts,
#28837, "RE: Huge Problem With Springs and Tires"
In response to Reply # 9

Man, this pisses me off... What am I to do with these rims now? Anyone have gsx rims in jersey and want to trade plus give me cash, of course given that your car is not lowered I suppose this would work for you.

02' Honda S2000- SOLD

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #28824 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Previous topic | Next topic