Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17970
View in threaded mode

Subject: "spring install gone bad" Previous topic | Next topic
mitsuman297May-25-03 10:35 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
560 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17970, "spring install gone bad"

well I tried to install my new springs today but things went kind of bad. It was all going well until i tried to romove the top bolt from the strut but the rectangular type grip thing sheered off. So now i'm screwed and can't put my new springs on. Gotta get some struts now. And i really wanted to get it dropped today.

winter project: custom t3/t4 turbo and some others

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MannyyyMay-25-03 03:17 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17973, "RE: spring install gone bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Ah, that happened to one of my stock shocks when I first lowered it. I had to use a vice-grip to hold the piston rod while I bolted the top nut back on.

You're not supposed to do this though cause it might scratch the piston rod and it'll start leaking... however since it was the stock shock I didn't really care. I never had any problems with it anyway.

-Manny

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Doug96GSMay-27-03 06:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
#17990, "RE: spring install gone bad"
In response to Reply # 1

Yea def don't grip the piston with vise grips. Besides that fact that it might start leaking, it will most definetely void any kind of warranty.

sonny bkMay-28-03 01:15 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
1171 posts,
#18044, "RE: spring install gone bad"
In response to Reply # 2

I broke a tokico strut that same way. Learning sucks (and is costly). good luck.

mitsuman297May-28-03 02:22 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
560 posts,
#18045, "RE: spring install gone bad"
In response to Reply # 3

that sucks, at least i was planning on replacing them. Anyways, how do i go about getting that bolt off now?

winter project: custom t3/t4 turbo and some others

woo2gnt97May-28-03 02:58 PM
Member since Nov 06th 2002
1362 posts,
#18046, "RE: spring install gone bad"
In response to Reply # 4

I stripped the top bolt holding the strut as well. I actually sawzall'ed the strut in half at the metal piston. It basically ruined the sawzall blade but it was ok because I was replacing all my struts as well.

Dunno if that helps but its what I did hehe.

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t (totalled but being rebuilt)
17'' HP Typhoons
Goldline Springs w/ Tokico Blues
Nakayama CAI
Cat-Back Exhaust
Final Drive Gears
AFX UDP

Metallic Fiji Blue 92 3000GT VR4
new engine on its way

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17970 Previous topic | Next topic