Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHandling/Suspension
Topic subjectspring install gone bad
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=17970
17970, spring install gone bad
Posted by mitsuman297, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
well I tried to install my new springs today but things went kind of bad. It was all going well until i tried to romove the top bolt from the strut but the rectangular type grip thing sheered off. So now i'm screwed and can't put my new springs on. Gotta get some struts now. And i really wanted to get it dropped today.
17973, RE: spring install gone bad
Posted by Mannyyy, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Ah, that happened to one of my stock shocks when I first lowered it. I had to use a vice-grip to hold the piston rod while I bolted the top nut back on.

You're not supposed to do this though cause it might scratch the piston rod and it'll start leaking... however since it was the stock shock I didn't really care. I never had any problems with it anyway.
17990, RE: spring install gone bad
Posted by Doug96GS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Yea def don't grip the piston with vise grips. Besides that fact that it might start leaking, it will most definetely void any kind of warranty.
18044, RE: spring install gone bad
Posted by sonny bk, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I broke a tokico strut that same way. Learning sucks (and is costly). good luck.

18045, RE: spring install gone bad
Posted by mitsuman297, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
that sucks, at least i was planning on replacing them. Anyways, how do i go about getting that bolt off now?
18046, RE: spring install gone bad
Posted by woo2gnt97, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I stripped the top bolt holding the strut as well. I actually sawzall'ed the strut in half at the metal piston. It basically ruined the sawzall blade but it was ok because I was replacing all my struts as well.

Dunno if that helps but its what I did hehe.

Black 97 Eclipse RS a/t (totalled but being rebuilt)
17'' HP Typhoons
Goldline Springs w/ Tokico Blues
Nakayama CAI
Cat-Back Exhaust
Final Drive Gears
AFX UDP

Metallic Fiji Blue 92 3000GT VR4
new engine on its way
I generated this page in 0.0079801082611084 seconds, executing 7 queries.