Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1325
View in threaded mode

Subject: "About WBO2 location for MS system" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
gilee_8Sep-14-05 10:31 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2002
1441 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1325, "About WBO2 location for MS system"

Sup guys.
I was doing searches and so on and came across a post, by XtremeRS.
And it's concerning about the location of the WBO2 sensor.

I am about to install the WBO2 sensor at the rear O2 sensor location. but from what XtremeRS said, the distance might be too far away from the exhaust manifold and will cause a delay.
I do plan to hook the WBO2 directly to the MS and use it for real time A/F thing instead of using the stock narrow O2 sensor.
But with that one second delay or some delay, it might not be as good.

So what should I do?
1) is the location of the WBO2 very critical? (I plan to use WBO2 not only for tuning, but use it for the MS to give A/F ratio.)
2) Is it matter if I just use the Narrow O2 sensor to MS, or should I use the WBO2 instead?

Thanks guys.
Gil

~~~~~~~~Modification~~~~~~~~
Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...
Coming Soon: Water Injection, Redo Undercarriage, Repaint Exterior

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

1995 RED Eclipse GS-'T': Stage VI 20PSI
2010 Audi S5 Quattro

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
RxR_EclipseSep-14-05 11:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1326, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-14-05 11:18 AM by RxR_Eclipse

Gil, I put my techedge unit at the test pipe location. Im currently installing a new one (aem unit) and I'm going to put it at the first bend in my downpipe. (aprox 20" down from the turbo, the aem literature suggests no closer than 18") Don't forget to put it at an angle of no less than 10 deg.

As far as a 'delay', I would feel comfortable putting it as far back as the factory rear o2. Just think about when you go to the dyno, they stick in the tailpipe...

There is nothing wrong with using a NB sensor on your MS. HOWEVER if you have a WB then why NOT use it. I ran with a NB for a couple of months before I got the courage to solder output wires to my techedge unit....now the MS is much happier.......

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RxR_EclipseSep-14-05 02:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1329, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-14-05 02:34 PM by RxR_Eclipse

Gil I just checked my aem book again. It says 18" from the exhaust port for N/A unleaded uses, and 36" for turbocharged or leaded fueled or when you will excede 800 deg C for extended periods of time. So you might want to put it back by the test pipe area anyways.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Teamner947Sep-14-05 03:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#1330, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 0

About the same distance as the factory sensor is a good spot, that's where I have mine and it works great. As for a delay, the velocity of the exhaust gas is usually pretty fast under most conditions, I seriously doubt you'd ever notice a delay unless you have an exhaust system which is hundreds of feet long... Also, if you put it far back in the system it will be cold and may not get hot enough to produce an accurate reading. The oxygen sensors that they have at dynos have beefier heater circuits (like the stock one that goes behind the cat) than ones that are typically less than 2 or 3 feet from the cylinder head. The biggest thing to watch out for in a turbocharged car is that you have to put the sensor in a location where the exhaust gas pressure will be close to atmospheric, so on a bend or right next to the turbine is no good, otherwise it will throw off the reading.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

MCubed45Sep-14-05 05:30 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1334, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-14-05 05:34 PM by MCubed45

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Gil, I put my techedge unit at the test pipe location. Im currently installing a new one (aem unit) and I'm going to put it at the first bend in my downpipe.

is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? that's kinda the one i'm leaning towards getting at the moment... haha i just wish they made one with a blue LCD to go with the dakota digital gauges i'm gonna get

gilee: as was mentioned, definately feed your wideband signal to the MS. it'd be a waste to have as powerful a tool as the MS and have it reading just off a narrowband sensor... if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right?

-marc

RxR_EclipseSep-14-05 06:20 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#1335, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by MCubed45
< is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? [br />

Yes its the one with the digital gauge.

Originally posted by MCubed45
< if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right?[br />

yes you would need this if your not running timing as well as fuel injection. *I THINK* someone else want to confirm on this??

Kevin
The old:

The new:

MCubed45Sep-15-05 12:58 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#1337, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Originally posted by MCubed45 < is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? [/div> Yes its the one with the digital gauge.
Originally posted by MCubed45 < if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right? [/div> yes you would need this if your not running timing as well as fuel injection. *I THINK* someone else want to confirm on this??

sry just to clarify, gilee had posted in his other thread that he was planning on ditching the stock ECU completely once the IAC an stuff was figured out.

-marc

gilee_8Sep-15-05 04:52 AM
1441 posts,
#1338, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 6

Hi, Yes,
That's the other questions I am having.
For MS-II, it has control for IAC, but I was curious, is it compatiable for our car's IAC sensor?
Does anyone know? Thanks.

Performance: MegaSquirt v3.0 Fuel & Spark, 8.6:1 JE piston, Eagle Long Rods, SPEC III Clutch, EVOIII B16G, FMIC, Aeromotive 1:1 FPR, Walbro 255HP, 680cc Injectors, 2.5" DP, 3" Magnaflow Cat, 3.5" Greddy EVO CatBack, Greddy Electronic EGT,FUEL,BOOST,A/F gauges...
Interior: Racing Seats, Metallic Interior, 15-Speakers System, Keyless, Dynomat Insulated, Neons...
Exterior: 1999 Body with turbo wing, Halo Projector Headlight, 4300K HID, 17" Mille Rims, GSX Calipers...

$240 For New Complete GSX Calipers Kit (Calipers, Bracket, Shim, Pad, Bolts, etc) Email Me If Interested!

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

gilee_8Sep-15-05 04:54 AM
1441 posts,
#1339, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks alot guys. I greatly appreciated.
So for now I will put the WBO2 at my rear o2 sensor location.
When I got all the timig, and fuel working on my MS-II, then I will ditch the stock O2 sensor, and move the WBO2 sensor up to the front.
Thanks all.
Gil

2010 Audi S5 Quattro

TeamXtremeRSSep-15-05 06:34 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1341, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 8

I have my wideband o2 in my test pipe, and honestly, there is a very slight delay, BUT mostly at very low rpm or at idle. I've noticed that when running closed loop at idle off of the wideband, the MS will hunt for the right A/F back and forth. This is even with 16 ignition events per step, 1% step size. Off idle and off of low rpm, its just fine. If its at all possible, i would really put it where the stock front o2 sensor goes. It shouldn't get too hot there, and will provide super fast readings during closed loop control of the MS.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

CarbonFiberRSTSep-15-05 07:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1368 posts,
#1342, "RE: About WBO2 location for MS system"
In response to Reply # 9
Sep-15-05 07:20 AM by CarbonFiberRST

Do you need the front o2 sensor in place if you're running ignition off the ecu and fuel with the MS? I was told that the o2 wasn't necessary with the ms controlling fuel and I planned on ditching the front o2 and putting my wideband there.

Evo 8 - 12.3@113 circa 2009 (~330whp)
Now with BB Xona Rotor HTZ FP Red and ~450whp
2018 MSM Civic SI Ktuner TSP stage 1 w/ Honda hacked headunit.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1325 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic