Go back to previous topic
Forum nameEngine Management Systems & Controllers
Topic subjectAbout WBO2 location for MS system
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=54&topic_id=1325
1325, About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by gilee_8, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Sup guys.
I was doing searches and so on and came across a post, by XtremeRS.
And it's concerning about the location of the WBO2 sensor.

I am about to install the WBO2 sensor at the rear O2 sensor location. but from what XtremeRS said, the distance might be too far away from the exhaust manifold and will cause a delay.
I do plan to hook the WBO2 directly to the MS and use it for real time A/F thing instead of using the stock narrow O2 sensor.
But with that one second delay or some delay, it might not be as good.

So what should I do?
1) is the location of the WBO2 very critical? (I plan to use WBO2 not only for tuning, but use it for the MS to give A/F ratio.)
2) Is it matter if I just use the Narrow O2 sensor to MS, or should I use the WBO2 instead?

Thanks guys.
Gil
1326, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by RxR_Eclipse, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Gil, I put my techedge unit at the test pipe location. Im currently installing a new one (aem unit) and I'm going to put it at the first bend in my downpipe. (aprox 20" down from the turbo, the aem literature suggests no closer than 18") Don't forget to put it at an angle of no less than 10 deg.

As far as a 'delay', I would feel comfortable putting it as far back as the factory rear o2. Just think about when you go to the dyno, they stick in the tailpipe...

There is nothing wrong with using a NB sensor on your MS. HOWEVER if you have a WB then why NOT use it. I ran with a NB for a couple of months before I got the courage to solder output wires to my techedge unit....now the MS is much happier.......
1329, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Gil I just checked my aem book again. It says 18" from the exhaust port for N/A unleaded uses, and 36" for turbocharged or leaded fueled or when you will excede 800 deg C for extended periods of time. So you might want to put it back by the test pipe area anyways.
1334, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Gil, I put my techedge unit at the test pipe location. Im currently installing a new one (aem unit) and I'm going to put it at the first bend in my downpipe.

is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? that's kinda the one i'm leaning towards getting at the moment... haha i just wish they made one with a blue LCD to go with the dakota digital gauges i'm gonna get :P

gilee: as was mentioned, definately feed your wideband signal to the MS. it'd be a waste to have as powerful a tool as the MS and have it reading just off a narrowband sensor... if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right?
1335, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Originally posted by MCubed45
< is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? [br />

Yes its the one with the digital gauge.

Originally posted by MCubed45
< if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right?[br />

yes you would need this if your not running timing as well as fuel injection. *I THINK* someone else want to confirm on this??
1337, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by MCubed45, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Originally posted by MCubed45 < is that the AEM UEGO unit with the digital gauge an stuff? [/div> Yes its the one with the digital gauge.
Originally posted by MCubed45 < if you're planning on chucking the stock ECU eventually you wouldn't have any reason to keep the narrowband when you do, right? [/div> yes you would need this if your not running timing as well as fuel injection. *I THINK* someone else want to confirm on this??

sry just to clarify, gilee had posted in his other thread that he was planning on ditching the stock ECU completely once the IAC an stuff was figured out.
1338, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Hi, Yes,
That's the other questions I am having.
For MS-II, it has control for IAC, but I was curious, is it compatiable for our car's IAC sensor?
Does anyone know? Thanks.
1330, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by ner947, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
About the same distance as the factory sensor is a good spot, that's where I have mine and it works great. As for a delay, the velocity of the exhaust gas is usually pretty fast under most conditions, I seriously doubt you'd ever notice a delay unless you have an exhaust system which is hundreds of feet long... Also, if you put it far back in the system it will be cold and may not get hot enough to produce an accurate reading. The oxygen sensors that they have at dynos have beefier heater circuits (like the stock one that goes behind the cat) than ones that are typically less than 2 or 3 feet from the cylinder head. The biggest thing to watch out for in a turbocharged car is that you have to put the sensor in a location where the exhaust gas pressure will be close to atmospheric, so on a bend or right next to the turbine is no good, otherwise it will throw off the reading.
1339, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Thanks alot guys. I greatly appreciated.
So for now I will put the WBO2 at my rear o2 sensor location.
When I got all the timig, and fuel working on my MS-II, then I will ditch the stock O2 sensor, and move the WBO2 sensor up to the front.
Thanks all.
Gil
1341, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by XtremeRS, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I have my wideband o2 in my test pipe, and honestly, there is a very slight delay, BUT mostly at very low rpm or at idle. I've noticed that when running closed loop at idle off of the wideband, the MS will hunt for the right A/F back and forth. This is even with 16 ignition events per step, 1% step size. Off idle and off of low rpm, its just fine. If its at all possible, i would really put it where the stock front o2 sensor goes. It shouldn't get too hot there, and will provide super fast readings during closed loop control of the MS.
1342, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by CarbonFiberRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Do you need the front o2 sensor in place if you're running ignition off the ecu and fuel with the MS? I was told that the o2 wasn't necessary with the ms controlling fuel and I planned on ditching the front o2 and putting my wideband there.
1343, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
Do you need the front o2 sensor in place if you're running ignition off the ecu and fuel with the MS? I was told that the o2 wasn't necessary with the ms controlling fuel and I planned on ditching the front o2 and putting my wideband there.

If you are going to run both fuel and ignition with the MS, then no, you dont need the stock front o2 sensor..or rear one for that matter.
1344, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by DarkOne, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
I only run my wideband. No factory O2 sensors in any location.

My sensor in in the second bend of my DP, in front of the oil pan.
1349, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by CarbonFiberRST, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
So, to just run fuel with the MS the factory ecu still needs an o2 sensor to have the ignition controlled correctly? thats the question.
1350, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Originally posted by CarbonFiberRST
So, to just run fuel with the MS the factory ecu still needs an o2 sensor to have the ignition controlled correctly? thats the question.

I'm not totally sure if the stock ECU uses different ignition timing maps between open and closed loop control. It's been said that it does, but I dont have any data to prove it. Others may know more about it..Obviously, without a stock o2 connected, the stock ECU will always be in open loop mode..
1351, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Thanks for all the input and info. I will put it at where the rear O2 sensor is for now.
1357, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Posted by XMasta19, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Can't ya just get a wideband with a narrowband output to make the ECU happy, then put your sensor in the downpipe and send wideband signal to make MS happy too.

Zeitronix Zt-2...the lcd display is pretty pimp too :thumbsup
1398, RE: About WBO2 location for MS system
Sup guys.
I did that too.
My WBO2 has 3 output. 2 analog and 1 digital.
read this post about my problem:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=93399&mode=full
I generated this page in 0.0078771114349365 seconds, executing 7 queries.