Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #509
View in linear mode

Subject: "New to the 420a" Previous topic | Next topic
brandons_97gsJul-06-08 07:50 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2008
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#509, "New to the 420a"

Hey everyone, my name is Brandon. I'm over here in the Champaign/Urbana area. I recently acquired my 97 GS for virtually nothing-the car was free as long as i did the needed repairs. So a new timing belt kit, timing belt tensioner, slave cylinder, clutch kit, valves, gaskets, plugs/wires later I'm enjoying my new ride.
I look forward to being apart of a forum that is so dedicated to the 420a...it seems like all the others are turbos only.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: New to the 420a, Moderatorteklein, Jul-07-08 02:34 AM, #1
RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-07-08 05:20 AM, #2
      RE: New to the 420a, TeamDR1665, Jul-07-08 06:23 AM, #3
           RE: New to the 420a, Flipboi89, Jul-07-08 05:16 PM, #4
                RE: New to the 420a, 740 turbo brick, Jul-08-08 05:26 AM, #5
                     RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-08-08 06:57 AM, #6
                          RE: New to the 420a, Moderatorteklein, Jul-08-08 07:33 AM, #7
                               RE: New to the 420a, stillettoDSM, Jul-08-08 07:37 AM, #8
                                    RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-08-08 07:45 PM, #9
RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-12-08 06:41 PM, #10
RE: New to the 420a, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jul-13-08 01:14 AM, #11
RE: New to the 420a, Tuxdreamerx, Jul-13-08 06:32 PM, #12
RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-13-08 06:33 PM, #13
      RE: New to the 420a, Tuxdreamerx, Jul-13-08 06:36 PM, #14
           RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-13-08 06:46 PM, #15
                RE: New to the 420a, Tuxdreamerx, Jul-13-08 07:00 PM, #16
                     RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-14-08 06:33 AM, #17
                          RE: New to the 420a, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-14-08 10:29 AM, #18
                               RE: New to the 420a, brandons_97gs, Jul-14-08 07:26 PM, #19
                                    RE: New to the 420a, thormx353, Aug-11-08 04:25 PM, #20

ModeratortekleinJul-07-08 02:34 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#510, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-07-08 02:34 AM by teklein

Welcome bro

Put some pictures up

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

brandons_97gsJul-07-08 05:20 AM
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#511, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 1

I have some pictures somewhere-they need to be shrunken down in size, they are really huge. She's still doesn't have a name yet...since "the white she devil" doesn't really constitute as a name LOL.
Already I feel as if I have become a master mechanic with this car. haha. I have removed both the engine and trans. twice-on separate occassions. Nothing like getting acquainted.
Thanks for the welcome.

TeamDR1665Jul-07-08 06:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#512, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by brandons_97gs
"the white she devil"

Could always call it "Cracka." That would be funny.

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Plenty to see and do around these parts.

Flipboi89Jul-07-08 05:16 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#514, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 3

welcome kind sir, waiting for those pics of yours lol

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

740 turbo brickJul-08-08 05:26 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#515, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 4

Indeed, welcome. I also recently pulled the motor and tranny out of my GS. But mine was because of a broken timing belt....

Get some pics posted up.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

brandons_97gsJul-08-08 06:57 AM
42 posts,
#516, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I also recently pulled the motor and tranny out of my GS. But mine was because of a broken timing belt....

Funny you should say that-that was the initial reason for having to replace the valves and all the timing components. I found it much easier to just pull the motor rather than trying to set the timing with it still in the engine bay.

As for the pictures guys (thanks for the interest hehe), I should have the time this weekend to get them posted. Anyone know a good site?Should I just use cardomain or something??

ModeratortekleinJul-08-08 07:33 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#517, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 6

use Photobucket, its free!

stillettoDSMJul-08-08 07:37 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2008
43 posts,
#518, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 7

Nice. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me.
I have a 1998 GS with like 170k Miles on the Body, roughly 25k on a newer 420a, and like 2k Miles on the Re-Built Auto Trans.
I've put a lot of time and money into mine so far, and I just wanna' tell you, don't ever get discouraged. It's a long road. Haha'. But in the end, I really love my car.

brandons_97gsJul-08-08 07:45 PM
42 posts,
#519, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by stillettoDSM
Nice. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me... don't ever get discouraged. It's a long road. Haha'. But in the end, I really love my car.

yeah I feel ya on that subject. I have totally become a master technician with this car..LOL. I honestly have no problem tearing things apart on this car. I'm sure in the end I will totally hate it but for now--not at all. Im a little on the eager side to know my way around and about this car.

brandons_97gsJul-12-08 06:41 PM
42 posts,
#530, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 0

Well guys it looks like I won't be posting pics of the car just yet. I won't have time due to all the overtime I am currently working. As soon as I have time I will make them available to you all.

ModeratorbullettdsmJul-13-08 01:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#531, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey everyone, my name is Brandon. I'm over here in the Champaign/Urbana area. I recently acquired my 97 GS for virtually nothing-the car was free as long as i did the needed repairs. So a new timing belt kit, timing belt tensioner, slave cylinder, clutch kit, valves, gaskets, plugs/wires later I'm enjoying my new ride. I look forward to being apart of a forum that is so dedicated to the 420a...it seems like all the others are turbos only.

Welcome and nice deal in these gas strapped times!

Really glad to see you are willing to work on her with your own hands. Gonna help you a lot in the long run.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

TuxdreamerxJul-13-08 06:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#532, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 11

Welcome. I am working on a 97 GS myself im in Huber Heights if you know where that is. I got the car for $400 bucks the motor is siezed and needs some other minor things. so im in the same boat I had a talon and it had MANY problems everyone here called me rusty so when I found this 97 gs so cheap I junked the talon and put this in the garage. I have pulled both motors and torn them both down. If you need any help or need any parts that I might have extra let me know since im pretty close to you. Funny thing is i've never driven a DSM yet lmao.

brandons_97gsJul-13-08 06:33 PM
42 posts,
#533, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 11

The only other thing I am wanting to do is replace my trans. (which is currently in the works). Outside from that, I am looking into my options as far as which angle Im wanting to approach for my car when it comes to under the hood. Either way, it looks like I am definately going to have to get another block and some goodies to go with.

TuxdreamerxJul-13-08 06:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#534, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 13

The only other thing I am wanting to do is replace my trans. (which is currently in the works). Outside from that, I am looking into my options as far as which angle Im wanting to approach for my car when it comes to under the hood. Either way, it looks like I am definately going to have to get another block and some goodies to go with.

I have an extra block from the talon and its been hot tanked and its ready to machine. If you would want it I would be willing to get rid of it cheap like 50 bucks or something and you could pick it up easily. but what is the reason for getting another block.

brandons_97gsJul-13-08 06:46 PM
42 posts,
#535, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
but what is the reason for getting another block.

my future plans to 'build' my motor properly for whichever application i finally decide on. oh yeah. the girlfriend already hates the car HAHA

TuxdreamerxJul-13-08 07:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#536, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 15
Jul-13-08 07:01 PM by Tuxdreamerx

Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx but what is the reason for getting another block.
my future plans to 'build' my motor properly for whichever application i finally decide on. oh yeah. the girlfriend already hates the car HAHA

LOL My girlfriend didnt like it wen i first got the car. She still doesnt like it when I spend time working on it.

Edit: She does want a eclipse though. She cant drive mine though she wont let me teach her how to drive a 5 speed.

brandons_97gsJul-14-08 06:33 AM
42 posts,
#537, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 16

haha yeah, my gf refuses to learn how to drive a 5spd.

RoninEclipse2GJul-14-08 10:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#538, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 17

haha yeah, my gf refuses to learn how to drive a 5spd.

Time to find a new GF.

my wife could probably drive rings around me if she really wanted to, but she grew up on a racetrack and in a gas station.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

brandons_97gsJul-14-08 07:26 PM
42 posts,
#539, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
my wife could probably drive rings around me if she really wanted to, but she grew up on a racetrack

that..is so AWESOME. I-am-jealous. my gf may not like the car thing, but she definately learns something whether she wants to admit to it or not

thormx353Aug-11-08 04:25 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2008
62 posts,
#573, "RE: New to the 420a"
In response to Reply # 19

haha nice

Top Team 2GNT Community Introductions topic #509 Previous topic | Next topic