Go back to previous topic
Forum nameIntroductions
Topic subjectNew to the 420a
Topic URLhttp://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=92&topic_id=509
509, New to the 420a
Posted by brandons_97gs, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Brandon. I'm over here in the Champaign/Urbana area. I recently acquired my 97 GS for virtually nothing-the car was free as long as i did the needed repairs. So a new timing belt kit, timing belt tensioner, slave cylinder, clutch kit, valves, gaskets, plugs/wires later I'm enjoying my new ride.
I look forward to being apart of a forum that is so dedicated to the 420a...it seems like all the others are turbos only.
510, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome bro :thumbsup

Put some pictures up :)
511, RE: New to the 420a
I have some pictures somewhere-they need to be shrunken down in size, they are really huge. She's still doesn't have a name yet...since "the white she devil" doesn't really constitute as a name LOL.
Already I feel as if I have become a master mechanic with this car. haha. I have removed both the engine and trans. twice-on separate occassions. Nothing like getting acquainted.
Thanks for the welcome.
512, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by DR1665, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Originally posted by brandons_97gs
"the white she devil"

Could always call it "Cracka." That would be funny. :order

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Plenty to see and do around these parts.
514, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by Flipboi89, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
welcome kind sir, waiting for those pics of yours lol
515, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by 740 turbo brick, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Indeed, welcome. I also recently pulled the motor and tranny out of my GS. But mine was because of a broken timing belt....

Get some pics posted up.
516, RE: New to the 420a
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
I also recently pulled the motor and tranny out of my GS. But mine was because of a broken timing belt....

Funny you should say that-that was the initial reason for having to replace the valves and all the timing components. I found it much easier to just pull the motor rather than trying to set the timing with it still in the engine bay.

As for the pictures guys (thanks for the interest hehe), I should have the time this weekend to get them posted. Anyone know a good site?Should I just use cardomain or something??
517, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by teklein, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
use Photobucket, its free!
518, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by stillettoDSM, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Nice. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me.
I have a 1998 GS with like 170k Miles on the Body, roughly 25k on a newer 420a, and like 2k Miles on the Re-Built Auto Trans.
I've put a lot of time and money into mine so far, and I just wanna' tell you, don't ever get discouraged. It's a long road. Haha'. But in the end, I really love my car.
519, RE: New to the 420a
Originally posted by stillettoDSM
Nice. Sounds like you're in the same boat as me... don't ever get discouraged. It's a long road. Haha'. But in the end, I really love my car.

yeah I feel ya on that subject. I have totally become a master technician with this car..LOL. I honestly have no problem tearing things apart on this car. I'm sure in the end I will totally hate it but for now--not at all. Im a little on the eager side to know my way around and about this car.
530, RE: New to the 420a
Well guys it looks like I won't be posting pics of the car just yet. I won't have time due to all the overtime I am currently working. As soon as I have time I will make them available to you all.
531, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by bullettdsm, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Brandon. I'm over here in the Champaign/Urbana area. I recently acquired my 97 GS for virtually nothing-the car was free as long as i did the needed repairs. So a new timing belt kit, timing belt tensioner, slave cylinder, clutch kit, valves, gaskets, plugs/wires later I'm enjoying my new ride. I look forward to being apart of a forum that is so dedicated to the 420a...it seems like all the others are turbos only.

Welcome and nice deal in these gas strapped times!

Really glad to see you are willing to work on her with your own hands. Gonna help you a lot in the long run.

MB

532, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by Tuxdreamerx, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
Welcome. I am working on a 97 GS myself im in Huber Heights if you know where that is. I got the car for $400 bucks the motor is siezed and needs some other minor things. so im in the same boat I had a talon and it had MANY problems everyone here called me rusty so when I found this 97 gs so cheap I junked the talon and put this in the garage. I have pulled both motors and torn them both down. If you need any help or need any parts that I might have extra let me know since im pretty close to you. Funny thing is i've never driven a DSM yet lmao.
533, RE: New to the 420a
The only other thing I am wanting to do is replace my trans. (which is currently in the works). Outside from that, I am looking into my options as far as which angle Im wanting to approach for my car when it comes to under the hood. Either way, it looks like I am definately going to have to get another block :) and some goodies to go with.
534, RE: New to the 420a
The only other thing I am wanting to do is replace my trans. (which is currently in the works). Outside from that, I am looking into my options as far as which angle Im wanting to approach for my car when it comes to under the hood. Either way, it looks like I am definately going to have to get another block :) and some goodies to go with.

I have an extra block from the talon and its been hot tanked and its ready to machine. If you would want it I would be willing to get rid of it cheap like 50 bucks or something and you could pick it up easily. but what is the reason for getting another block.
535, RE: New to the 420a
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx
but what is the reason for getting another block.

my future plans to 'build' my motor properly for whichever application i finally decide on. oh yeah. the girlfriend already hates the car HAHA
536, RE: New to the 420a
Originally posted by Tuxdreamerx but what is the reason for getting another block.
my future plans to 'build' my motor properly for whichever application i finally decide on. oh yeah. the girlfriend already hates the car HAHA

LOL My girlfriend didnt like it wen i first got the car. She still doesnt like it when I spend time working on it.

Edit: She does want a eclipse though. She cant drive mine though she wont let me teach her how to drive a 5 speed.
537, RE: New to the 420a
haha yeah, my gf refuses to learn how to drive a 5spd.
538, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by RoninEclipse2G, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
haha yeah, my gf refuses to learn how to drive a 5spd.

Time to find a new GF.

my wife could probably drive rings around me if she really wanted to, but she grew up on a racetrack and in a gas station. :P
539, RE: New to the 420a
Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
my wife could probably drive rings around me if she really wanted to, but she grew up on a racetrack

that..is so AWESOME. I-am-jealous. :) my gf may not like the car thing, but she definately learns something whether she wants to admit to it or not ;)
573, RE: New to the 420a
Posted by thormx353, Dec-31-69 06:00 PM
haha nice
I generated this page in 0.010103940963745 seconds, executing 7 queries.