Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138158
View in linear mode

Subject: "Passing Emissions with Megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
RfOeCnKdOeNrOct-17-13 09:33 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2006
259 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138158, "Passing Emissions with Megasquirt"

Hey guys,

I've finally got the car running well with Megasquirt and I get a lovely letter from the state of connecticut telling me it's Emissions time!

I am very worried about testing the car. First, I have four CEL codes:

P0201 - Injector Circuit
P0204 - Injector Circuit
P0352 - No idea...?
P1802 - Oxygen sensor?

Any tips for turning these CEL's off? I know in the past I have seen some work-around with resistors and the like. My stock injector harness is still in the engine bay, just not plugged in or used. Same with ignition.

Also, here in Connecticut they do a visual inspection (which means I need to put the CAT back on). How will this effect my MS tune?

Any tips or has anyone passed emissions with a car as modified as mine?

/

1996 Eclipse RS-Turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Oct-17-13 10:30 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138159, "RE: Passing Emissions with Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0352

Google the codes, it will tell you what it is.

As far getting rid of them, not going to happen unless you satisfy the ecu, plain and simple. Switch back for testing, and go back to MS after you pass, probably the easiest method.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorCorbinOct-17-13 06:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138160, "RE: Passing Emissions with Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-17-13 06:21 PM by Corbin

Since you are 1996, I expect that they will hook up an OBD2 scanner at the inspection station. I don't think you have a chance of satisfying the stock ECU with out giving it full control over the engine. I've been running MS and switching back to stock to pass emissions for 8 years now. I re-install stock injectors, stock O2 sensors, hotter BKR5E spark plugs, EGR, set to stock fuel pressure, advance exhaust cam, retard intake cam, as well as give the stock ECU control of injectors, ignition, and IAC. I run a cat year round, so that isn't a problem. Since I'm 1995, I have to pass a rolling dyno test. I think if you can pass that, you can pass the OBD2 test. I've failed enough to know exactly what it takes (for my engine anyways). By now, I have set up the MS harness with stock connectors for injector harness, ignition, and IAC so that switching control from stock to MS is "plug and play".

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

RfOeCnKdOeNrApr-23-14 06:38 PM
Member since Jul 18th 2006
259 posts,
#138347, "RE: Passing Emissions with Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Corbin
Since you are 1996, I expect that they will hook up an OBD2 scanner at the inspection station. I don't think you have a chance of satisfying the stock ECU with out giving it full control over the engine. I've been running MS and switching back to stock to pass emissions for 8 years now. I re-install stock injectors, stock O2 sensors, hotter BKR5E spark plugs, EGR, set to stock fuel pressure, advance exhaust cam, retard intake cam, as well as give the stock ECU control of injectors, ignition, and IAC. I run a cat year round, so that isn't a problem. Since I'm 1995, I have to pass a rolling dyno test. I think if you can pass that, you can pass the OBD2 test. I've failed enough to know exactly what it takes (for my engine anyways). By now, I have set up the MS harness with stock connectors for injector harness, ignition, and IAC so that switching control from stock to MS is "plug and play". Corbin '95 ESI-T Now with more power and fewer leaks Humble servant of the Wiki

Thanks for the tips... I know this is a delayed response but the car sat for the winter and I am back at it now...

I left all of the stock EXU plugs in the engine bay in case I needed to switch back... The only one I messed with that will be very difficult to get back to stock plug (I snipped the wires because I only had one plug) is the IAC... Do you think I will
need the stock ECU to control it for emissions?

Thanks again.

/

1996 Eclipse RS-Turbo

ModeratorCorbinApr-24-14 10:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#138348, "RE: Passing Emissions with Megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by RfOeCnKdOeNr
Thanks for the tips... I know this is a delayed response but the car sat for the winter and I am back at it now... I left all of the stock EXU plugs in the engine bay in case I needed to switch back... The only one I messed with that will be very difficult to get back to stock plug (I snipped the wires because I only had one plug) is the IAC... Do you think I will need the stock ECU to control it for emissions? Thanks again.

You should get a code if the IAC is not connected to the stock ECU. It may also throw codes for the engine idling at an RPM other than the stock ECU setpoint. Hit up a junkyard and clip the IAC pigtail off. Worst case, I could sell you one of mine (parting my car out). Being a 1996 car, you should need all codes cleared and have satisfied the majority of non-continuous monitors. You probably need to drive for a week on the stock ECU before going in for testing.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138158 Previous topic | Next topic