Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #13004
View in linear mode

Subject: "Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
I_want_a_1999_gstJan-27-02 04:36 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
4 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13004, "Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"

I have an 1996 GS and I want to know if I can put the GST engine in it and how much would that cost. I also want to want to know if I can put the Toyota 2000 celica 180 horsepower engine.

Thanks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, phrenzy, Jan-27-02 04:41 AM, #1
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, I_want_a_1999_gst, Jan-27-02 04:43 AM, #2
      RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, fauchpj, Jan-27-02 05:03 AM, #3
           RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Thunderous_Talon, Jan-27-02 05:09 AM, #4
                RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Kory, Jan-27-02 06:21 AM, #5
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, eclipsekaiser, Jan-27-02 06:53 AM, #6
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, phrenzy, Jan-27-02 08:25 AM, #7
      RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, grneclipse, Jan-27-02 09:02 AM, #8
           RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, 1TuffRS, Jan-27-02 12:00 PM, #9
                RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, HadesOmega, Jan-27-02 12:34 PM, #10
                     RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, slacker911, Jan-27-02 12:46 PM, #11
                          RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Dave_FL, Jan-27-02 12:55 PM, #12
                               RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, phrenzy, Jan-27-02 01:07 PM, #13
                               RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, 97_ESi, Jan-27-02 01:07 PM, #14
                               RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Dave_FL, Jan-27-02 01:51 PM, #15
                                    RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, 1TuffRS, Jan-27-02 02:34 PM, #16
                                         RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Dave_FL, Jan-27-02 02:40 PM, #17
                                              RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Nitrous_RS1997, Jan-27-02 03:32 PM, #18
                                                   Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...., Thunderous_Talon, Jan-27-02 03:36 PM, #19
                                                        RE: Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...., ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-27-02 05:55 PM, #21
                                                             RE: Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...., phrenzy, Jan-28-02 02:03 AM, #22
                               RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, I_want_a_1999_gst, Jan-29-02 09:56 AM, #24
                                    RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, TeamMichael_97RS, Jan-29-02 10:39 AM, #25
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, fasterGS, Jan-27-02 05:20 PM, #20
RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Mystic511, Jan-28-02 02:37 AM, #23
      RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, LoudEclipse, Jan-29-02 01:35 PM, #26
      RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, mjbd, Jan-29-02 01:46 PM, #27
           RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, pn0ymahal, Jan-29-02 04:27 PM, #28
                RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, Kaptain_Mike (Guest), Jan-30-02 12:32 AM, #29
                     RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, trwebb26, Jan-30-02 01:16 AM, #30
                     RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!, klipzracer, Jan-30-02 08:40 AM, #31

phrenzyJan-27-02 04:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13005, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Um, I'm going to be as polite as possible. I doubt you'll get many responses to this question here.

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

I_want_a_1999_gstJan-27-02 04:43 AM
4 posts,
#13006, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

why aren't i going to get replies?

fauchpjJan-27-02 05:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#13007, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

its a lot of work getting a 4g63 in your car. ive heard 6000 plus. and thats just for stock gst performance. you would be better getting a turbo kit from hahn or star. dont know about the toyota engine but that probably wouldnt be cheap either.

Thunderous_TalonJan-27-02 05:09 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#13008, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

celica engine dont even think about it, i kinda hope you are joking, no offense. a 4g63(GST engine) is possible but not practical, for the price you'd pay for that engine and everything else you could have a stage 4 or 5 turbo kit and be around the neighborhood of 400+ hp. so much for that 180hp celica engine huh?

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

KoryJan-27-02 06:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#13009, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

dood put a 5.0 ohv v8 in it and SC it with a vortech kit... badass

96RS ~ full 99GS Special Edit. body conversion, aem cai, greddy header, greddy sp exhaust, afx pulley, B&M sS, magecores & NGKs, S-AFC, A/F and Volt guages, Sparco Torino Seat, illuminas, prokits, ingalls camber, gunmetal GS rims, ST Sways, STBs, lower rear tie bar, Sony Xplode head, Xplode 10 disk, Boston Components, 2 Kenwood amps, 12" MTX sub, a shit load more.

97GSX ~ 18psi~ Ported/Clipped 10 degrees Frank 2 w/47trim, Ported Exh. housing, Tial 40mm External Wastegate with discharge tube, Ported O2 housing, 3" downpipe, 3" Straight Pipe, Apex N1, fake cat, K&N FIPK, Greddy IC Piping, Type S bov, S-AFC, Profec B, Greddy TT, Slimline Fan, RRE Catch Can, Greddy Big FMIC, ND 660s, Walboro 190lph, ACT 2600 w/street disk, clutch SS line, lighten flywheel, removed cruise control line, Greddy EGT, Coolant, Boost Gauges, motor mount inserts, Magnecor & plugs, greddy oil cap, greddy radiator cap, and free mods. To all the haters _|_ tia

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

eclipsekaiserJan-27-02 06:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#13010, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Why the fu#k would you want a celica 180-hp engine in your eclipse??? I hope you are not messing around on this board.

kaiser

-K-

phrenzyJan-27-02 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
#13011, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Well, the reason I said that you wouldn't get many responses is A. The question itself is an uneducated one and B. You're offending more than one person on this board by asking that.

A good number of people on this board (I'm one of them) have the non-turbo because of the well built 420A motor. Not saying that the 4G63 is a bad motor, just that we prefer the newer, lighter 420A. If you were seriously asking the question, I would do alot of research into the Hahn staged turbo kits. A stage 2 will have you eating factory gs-ts for breakfast. You can find information at http://www.hahnracecraft.com.

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

grneclipseJan-27-02 09:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
743 posts,
#13012, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

.........add to the fact that the "CAN I SWAP A GS-T MOTOR INTO MY GS?" has been done about 20 times.......and that's just this month, LoL, nah, but really the question has been asked TOO many times, and I'm sure it annoys most of the members on here, since there is a SEARCh function...

Mick

Shogun Body Kit
GTR Flared Wing
Arospeed Muffler
Half red-Clearm Tails
QT s-08 18"
Toyo Proxes Z4 215/18/35
..some turbo thingy me and Ray pieced together...

Don't have the stock Eclipse anymore
Just a stock Gsr now,

1TuffRSJan-27-02 12:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#13013, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Just like they said, you can put a GS-T motor in your car if you really want to but it would, in all honesty, be a waste of money since we have turbo kits available for our cars. These can push the performance of your car to the limit, which is pretty damn high. As far as fitting the toyota engine, you can fit an engine anywhere if you have enough money, but it wouldnt be very practical. Im sure you are a new member here and dont look at this and think that the people here arent trying to be helpful. They do honestly get tired of the same question getting asked over and over again, but I look at it like this, your new and thus its a new question to you. Since your new at this most of your questions can probably be answered by utilizing the search feature that the board has and you should check that out. Hope that covers everything. If you got any more questions hit me up and ill try to explain it the best I can.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

HadesOmegaJan-27-02 12:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#13014, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

haha dude man you should read up at the 2gnt site before you start asking questions like that so you can learn more about your car. why do you want a turbo engine so bad not happy with your 420A?

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

slacker911Jan-27-02 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1149 posts,
#13015, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

This is the awnser I got from a local dsm club
1 drive car to dealer
2 trade it in for a gst
3 take the T off the back
you now have a gs with a gst engine!

In all honesty this is the cheapest and most pratical way to do it.

Slacker Motorsports
Some stuff......

Dave_FLJan-27-02 12:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#13016, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 11

I you ever get the chance to ride in a turboed 420a these kind of thoughts would never even cross your mind. After I rode in gregs 12.8 second monster I got the feel of what our engine is capable of. With just a stage 3 our little 4 cyl engines can out accelerate huge V8's such as WS6's and camaro SS's. There is some real potential trapped under our one humped hoods. Be proud of the 420a and dont ever think about swapping any other engine in its place.

Dave
05 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4

phrenzyJan-27-02 01:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
#13017, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Dave, I would like to add an AMEN! I call mine "the little neon motor that could"

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

97_ESiJan-27-02 01:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
788 posts,
#13018, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"

>I you ever get the chance to ride in a turboed 420a these
>kind of thoughts would never even cross your mind. After I
>rode in gregs 12.8 second monster I got the feel of what our
>engine is capable of. With just a stage 3 our little 4 cyl
>engines can out accelerate huge V8's such as WS6's and
>camaro SS's. There is some real potential trapped under our
>one humped hoods. Be proud of the 420a and dont ever think
>about swapping any other engine in its place.

Man I wish someone around where I live had a turboed 420A....I might have to be the first

I've been in my friends 92 TSI AWD but I don't think his turbo is working right. Plus he hasn't gone all out in it...he's still learning how to shift. All in all, I'm still loving my ESi with its sexy looks and little speed ...hehe.

-----------------
1997 Eagle Talon ESi
Check out more pictures here: http://mikelaidlaw.tripod.com

MODS
-----
Blitz Front Bumper - Invader Type 1 Side Skirts - 17" Gunmetal Motegi MR7's - Final Drive Gear Mod - H&R Lowering Springs - 97 Eclipse Headlights - Taillight Mods - Interior Colouring/Lighting/Accessories - Stereo - Intake Filter, Plugs and Wires

Dave_FLJan-27-02 01:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#13019, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Where do you live. Turboed 420a's are everywhere.

Dave

1TuffRSJan-27-02 02:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#13020, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

I know there are none in or near NC, atleast not on this board. Thats why I think I will try to be the first as well

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Dave_FLJan-27-02 02:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3317 posts,
#13021, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

There used to be one in Virginia (Stans). ANd who knows there might be one there again?

Dave

Nitrous_RS1997Jan-27-02 03:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1311 posts,
#13022, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

There is one in Tennessee....

1997 Silver RS
Built
T3/T4 BB Turbo
20psi
Most current 1/8th mile time: 8.1@93mph 2.015 60'
1996 Black Supra TT
2004 Silver Snake

Thunderous_TalonJan-27-02 03:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1422 posts,
#13023, "Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...."
In response to Reply # 18

The Eclipse in "THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS" has our engine. how can you beat that he runs 10s w/ a t3 turbo and direct port nos.

hehehe }>

Original 15 of 2gnt.com

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-27-02 05:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#13024, "RE: Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...."
In response to Reply # 19

>The Eclipse in "THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS" has our engine.
>how can you beat that he runs 10s w/ a t3 turbo and direct
>port nos.
>
>hehehe }>

He could have run 9's if he would have just tuned the NOS timer.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

phrenzyJan-28-02 02:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
684 posts,
#13025, "RE: Given the questions asked i got the perfect reply...."
In response to Reply # 21

hrmmm... maybe it's just me, but I'm having trouble distinguishing sarcasm here.

Old School 2GNTer
Now rockin an 05 SRT-4

I_want_a_1999_gstJan-29-02 09:56 AM
4 posts,
#13026, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"

So your saying you can get more hp out of turbocharging the gs engine than the gst engine?

TeamMichael_97RSJan-29-02 10:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#13027, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 24

It's not a matter of which engine can max out HP With enough money You can Make anything fast. Hell our motor in HRC's RS is running mid 11's. Our motor is a new design and in my opinion a better one. Don't get me wrong the 4G63 has been proven to hold a lot of power. But so can our 420A. We have guys here who are proving that now. There are Neons in the 10's w/ turbo, Neons NA running 13's, Eclipses w/ turbo running 11's We have a fast motor.

If you want to build a 4G63 then it's better to buy a GS-T or GS-X. The money you would spend on the swap could put you in the 12 second range... So my suggestion... and just about everybody else here's is if you want a turbo, turbo your 420A.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga
e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Ported/Polished Intake Manifold, Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

fasterGSJan-27-02 05:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#13028, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I would have to agree with the rest of them... its a ridiculous amount of money to swap the motors.

As for the other question... the 1.8L out of a Celica GTS.
I happen to own a 2000 GTS as well as my 99 GS and you would be regressing to put that motor in your car. It might be a LITTLE faster at first, but the options you have to upgrade the celica motor are pricey and hard to find, its just too new yet. You should read some posts on here and talk to some of these guys, youd be surprised at what our "lil neon motor" can do

Mystic511Jan-28-02 02:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#13029, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 20

phrenzy... ALOT of it is sarcasm. =P

on the same lines as that trade your gs and remove the T joke...

i heard this one either on the forums or from one of my friends?

How do you get a 12 second type R? trade in your car for a GSX and put a Type R sticker on it.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

LoudEclipseJan-29-02 01:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
#13030, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

but if you made the swap to a 4g63 engine, then you would be able to make it awd, more work, but an awd RS

mjbdJan-29-02 01:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
252 posts,
#13031, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 23

Dont forget about NOS, but if you have the money, most would say go with Turbo, power all the time. The reason the Celica isnt a very good motor to mod is because of how good it is right out of the factory. The Celica uses 11.5:1 pistons, thats crazy high, so with any kind of boost, the Celica would need a rebuilt engine. I have learned from this board that the 420a is a viable engine for boost heads, I was going to go with a stage 2 HRC turbo kit before selling my eclipse and buying the Lude. The 420a is actually a better, more cost effective, engine to mod than hy H22 Lude engine, but its another engine that kicks ass right out of the factory. Oh well, when it comes time to rebuild, I will do it right, and run a crazy amount of Juice, and be running 11's on street tires. Stick with the 420a, its underrated, but thats not always a bad thing.

95 Eclipse gone, meet the Lude. Now driving 97 Honda Prelude. Fast, but a few mods wouldnt hurt. How about a Cold Air Intake for starters...

pn0ymahalJan-29-02 04:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#13032, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 27

if you really want the 4g63 motor in your pretty eclipse save the headache and just get rid of the gs car and buy a turbo! if you just want to go fast ( spending around 2-3k ) around 200hp-280 get a stage 1 or even 2 for your 420a which is your gs car and call it a day!
you will be happy with that alone...
Cool
Michael 99gs- hrc stage 2 =)

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

Kaptain_Mike (Guest)Jan-30-02 12:32 AM

#13033, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 28

bwahahah u guys are f&^%ing cracking me up!

trwebb26Jan-30-02 01:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
347 posts,
#13034, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 29

I would bet money that the guy who opened this thread has been on the machv.com message boards. Those assholes on that site have nothing good to say about the 420A (i'm a poet!). When I first started looking to mod my dsm, I would up one their message boards and they made me think that I had made the worst mistake of my life not buying the turbo motor.

Scene from Jerry McGuire w/ divorced womens group:
- But now I found you guys *sniff* and you really let me know that the 420A was a good thing.

But seriously. The guy has found the safe-haven for the 420A. Welcome to the club, man!

The best thing that could happen would be for "SOMEBODY" to build up a 420A (besides hahn) and win the shootout this year against all of the 4g63 fawkers (in the FWD class)... IMO.

Tim
trwebb26@yahoo.com
White 1999 GS - Manual Tranny
Mods: B&M Shifter, Symbroski Shifter Kit, RRE SS Clutch Line, AEM Short Ram Intake, Clear Side Markers, GS

klipzracerJan-30-02 08:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#13035, "RE: Trying to upgrade GS engine!! Help!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 29

:7

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #13004 Previous topic | Next topic