Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117275
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro." Previous topic | Next topic
Eric_98RTCoupeFeb-15-01 09:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117275, "Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro."

Well, I'm sure you're wondering, so I'll start by first saying that I do not drive a Mitsu - I know, sorry... I was referred to your board by Stan over at the Neons.org board. Anyway, I have a '98 Dodge Neon R/T Coupe. I've done quite a bit of work so far and have plenty more to go (heck, who doesn't?). My plans are to stay NA as long as possible. Who knows, maybe a bottle will sneak in my trunk some day, but for now, it's NA all the way.

Now for the fun! I recently was able to get a sweet deal on an APEXi Super AFC. Now, nowhere in the world have I been able to find info on how to hook it up to a Neon; however, I just recently found that several of you guys have it on your 420A motors. Would any of you be able to give me some tips, pointers, how-to info? Feel free to shoot me an email or reply on the board. Anything - no matter how small - is appreciated. I'm starting 100% from scratch... Thanks all!!

Here's a shot of my ride - Pepe (you know, like as in Le Pew?)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro., TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-15-01 09:20 AM, #1
RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro., XT_DSM, Feb-15-01 09:25 AM, #2
Here you go..., Skrilla, Feb-15-01 02:22 PM, #3
WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! hang on!!!!!, Armond30, Feb-15-01 05:18 PM, #4
      RE: WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! hang on!!!!!, XT_DSM, Feb-15-01 05:49 PM, #5
Thanks gang!!, Eric_98RTCoupe, Feb-16-01 01:32 AM, #6
RE: Thanks gang!!, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-16-01 03:08 AM, #7
do you know how many people here would kill for a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile naturally aspirated?!?, ModeratorVX100, Feb-16-01 06:54 AM, #8
      Yep - damn light Neons for sure! ;-) (before/after dyno), Eric_98RTCoupe, Feb-16-01 08:20 AM, #9
           thanks, ModeratorVX100, Feb-18-01 06:38 AM, #10
                Not a problem! (another dyno included), Eric_98RTCoupe, Feb-19-01 05:46 AM, #12
RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro., TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-19-01 03:39 AM, #11

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-15-01 09:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#117276, "RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro."
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome, in addition to my 97 Eclipse RS I own a Black 95 Neon Sport DOHC. Your car looks sweet man.
I have the factory and another manual for my Neon so guys let me know what signal wires need to be tapped and I can find them on the Neon ECU through the manual.

BTW what have you doen to yoru Neon?

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

XT_DSMFeb-15-01 09:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#117277, "RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro."
In response to Reply # 0

http://members.dencity.com/xtdsm

the wiring should not be that hard. a shop manual will help you a lot tho

you will need to find an RPM signal wire.
TPS signal wire (I am sure you know where your tps is located at)
Map signal wire (you will have to cut this, run one side to the AFC, the other side to your ECU)
ECU main power wire, and ground.
A/F ratio wire if you plan to do the blue wire mod (if you wanna moniter your A/F using your S-AFC

setting should be pressure sensor, then try 6 in and 6 out (worked for a lot of us, but not sure if it will for you) just play with the in and out settings till your car idles fine.

hope that helps.

Adel

SkrillaFeb-15-01 02:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#117278, "Here you go..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have a folder on my harddrive for eveything I will do/have done to my car, and guess what here are the instructions which were provided to me by Armond30:

Power wire: oversized Black wire with White stripe. pin 20 should be the
extreme bottom on the upper connector for the ECU. second row of 4.
Tach signal (RPM): White Wire Pin 73 should be 3rd pin from top on an extreme side of the BOTTOM ECU connector.
Throttle sensor (TPS): brown wire with red stripe. pin 35 should be close
to the middle of the extreme side (length ways) of the top ECU connector
Ground: black small wire. pin 10. should be in an extreme bottom corner of the TOP ECU connector
pressure sensor (MAP): yellow wire with BLACK stripe. pin 36 should be
directly beside the TPS signal wire.
use the wiring diagram for cars equipped with pressure sensor in the
instructions. all unused wires should be tied off. They are for skyline.

Pressure sensor is type 6 (6 in 6 out)

throttle arrow should be pointing up.

that should be all you need to get going.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Armond30Feb-15-01 05:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
161 posts,
#117279, "WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! hang on!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

the ecu in an neon is different than the ecu in an eclipse (same motor, different ecu). the pins and connections will ALL be diffrent. I can hoop up a s-afc in a neon, I would just need the schematics for the mfi system. I am sure that it is possible, I just haven't tried yet . If you can find some schematics of your MFI system, or have access to a electrical service manual, then instal should be a piece fo cake.

have fun!

XT_DSMFeb-15-01 05:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#117280, "RE: WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!! hang on!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

http://members.dencity.com/xtdsm

hold your horses man, Michael_97RS has a Neon and he also said he has the manual for it, the info he gave was from his Neon manual, so it's all good, don't worry man, the guy knows what he is doing

Adel

Eric_98RTCoupeFeb-16-01 01:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#117281, "Thanks gang!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you guys so much for the info! We're probably going to tackle the install next weekend. The good news is that a buddy of mine owns a dyno shop here in Kansas City, so tuning should be a piece of cake!

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something important - especially when dealing with "the car guys"! My current list of mods:
- Hand Ported/Polished Intake Manifold (most recent mod)
- AEM Cold Air Intake
- AF/X Bored TB
- AF/X Race Computer
- Kirk Racing Header
- AF/X UDP
- B&M Short Shifter
- Vibrant Pipes
- Magnacore Wires
- Eibach Springs
- KYB Struts
- Prothane Motor Mounts (front and sides)
- AF/X Bobble Strut
- 16 in Enkei RPO2 Rims

My best time at the track has been a 15.2, but that is with a crappy 2.1 60 ft time. Once I can get it down to 1.8-1.9, I should be 14.8's or so... Also, haven't been to the track since the intake was done - it really helped with top end, so it should help my times a lot!

Again, thanks for all your assistance with this - it's much appreciated!

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-16-01 03:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#117282, "RE: Thanks gang!!"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm heading out of town today through Saturday. Come Sunday I'm doing work to my Neon and Eclipse Sunday. UDP finally is goin on guys. So I'll take everybody directions fo rthe Eclipse and figure out what wires you need to splice into when I'm back

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

ModeratorVX100Feb-16-01 06:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#117283, "do you know how many people here would kill for a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile naturally aspirated?!?"
In response to Reply # 6

Just look below this message at my signaure and you'll see I sure wouldn't mind a 15.2 with a 2.1 60' (damn light neons! Or should I say, damn heavy DSMs!)

although you do have the afx computer and the ported/polished intake which are very good mods. how much did the intake help in the 1/4? (if you've tried it yet, that is) I'm sure lots of people here besides just me would like to know

Keep up the good work, and welcome to the board.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Eric_98RTCoupeFeb-16-01 08:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#117284, "Yep - damn light Neons for sure! ;-) (before/after dyno)"
In response to Reply # 8

>although you do have the afx computer and the ported/polished >intake which are very good mods.
>how much did the intake help in the 1/4? (if you've tried it >yet, that is) I'm sure lots of people here besides just me >would like to know

I have yet to try out the intake at the track... Grudge racing starts back up March 4th here in Kansas City!! I do, however, have a great before/after dyno of the intake - I'm sure you will appreciate. This dyno graph was done with average of 3 baselines "before" and then 3 baselines "after" the intake was installed. All runs done the same day about 5 hours apart -due to install time, smoke breaks, and general dickin' around!

ModeratorVX100Feb-18-01 06:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#117285, "thanks"
In response to Reply # 9

The more info we can gather about how much mods help a 420A, the better. Thanks again fo the info.

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.803 @ 86.48 MPH

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Eric_98RTCoupeFeb-19-01 05:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
0 posts,
#117286, "Not a problem! (another dyno included)"
In response to Reply # 10

Any way that I can be of help, please let me know!

Attached is another dyno of the AF/X Race Computer. Again, this is a before and after with the ONLY change being the computer.

Mods at the time were AEM Intake, AF/X Bored TB, Kirk Racing Header, AF/X Underdrive Pulley, and Magnacore Plugwires.

Sorry, it's kind of a big pic, but it really helps to see how it works. Don't just look at the Max numbers at the top. Really look at the graph - especially at about 6200 rpm!

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-19-01 03:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#117287, "RE: Help a fellow 420A'er out (APEXi Super AFC) - plus an intro."
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry all, I didn't get to looking up te wiring for the S-AFC. My friends car broke down at the campground just as we were going to leave on Sunday so I didn't get back until late. I'll do it before next weekend.

Michael J. Kulaga

Firefly:

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #117275 Previous topic | Next topic