Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8695
View in linear mode

Subject: "5spd man swap having trouble with starter" Previous topic | Next topic
Geimers1Feb-10-11 03:29 PM
Member since Dec 15th 2010
20 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8695, "5spd man swap having trouble with starter"

I followed the corbin swap to the T and i was going to wiring a push button switch to the starter but im having trouble getting the starter to even turn over. I tried to even wire the starter directly to the battery off the positive and nothing is happening. I took the starter to get tested and it works fine on the machine. Any help would be great.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-10-11 03:52 PM, #1
RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 04:33 PM, #2
      RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-10-11 05:04 PM, #3
           RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 05:23 PM, #4
           RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 05:25 PM, #5
                RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-10-11 05:27 PM, #6
                     RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 05:51 PM, #7
                     RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, AdministratorCODE4, Feb-10-11 05:54 PM, #9
                     RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 05:53 PM, #8
                          RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter, Geimers1, Feb-10-11 05:58 PM, #10

AdministratorCODE4Feb-10-11 03:52 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8696, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 0

How are you wiring it up?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Geimers1Feb-10-11 04:33 PM
20 posts,
#8697, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 1

im going from the push button to the starter and from the push button to the possitive side on the battery

AdministratorCODE4Feb-10-11 05:04 PM
2552 posts,
#8698, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-10-11 05:06 PM by CODE4

Originally posted by Geimers1
im going from the push button to the starter and from the push button to the possitive side on the battery

Let's try this again, my fault for not asking for detail I guess. What gauge wiring are you using? Are you using a relay to power the starter solenoid. What is the switch rated for (Amps)? Is it a push button momentary or latching push button (push for on, push again for off)? Where did you buy the switch, is it some VatoZone stuff? Most switches are not going to have a sufficient enough rating (push button ones anyway).

Is the circuit fused within a few inches of the battery connection? Is the wire from the switch going directly to the starter or the solenoid? Be as specific as possible.

Worst case scenario, you overloaded the push button switch you have and possibly fried some of the wiring. On the bright side, you avoided a potential wire fire and did not burn your car down.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Geimers1Feb-10-11 05:23 PM
20 posts,
#8699, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 3

im useing a 18 guage wire there is one wire that goes to the starter and there is one wire that goes to the battery its just a regular push button i got it from auto zone its 60 amps heres the link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Dorman-Conduct-Tite-60-Amps-starter-switch-with-sealed-push-button/_/N-2666?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=push+button&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=6459_0_0_

Geimers1Feb-10-11 05:25 PM
20 posts,
#8700, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 3

theres no relay just one wire to the starter and one to the battery i have also wired the clutch so when i push it in the car starts but that didnt work either i know my wireing is right could i have missed something else

AdministratorCODE4Feb-10-11 05:27 PM
2552 posts,
#8701, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 5
Feb-10-11 05:28 PM by CODE4

i know my wireing is right could i have missed something else

Your wiring is not right.

Are you familiar with wire gauge current limits? 18 gauge is not safe to provide power to the solenoid. The switch at 60 AMPS is though. I would replace all your wiring with heavier primary wiring.

Also, you never answered many of my questions. Fused? You are asking for a car fire if you have high current running un-fused. You also have no mention of the heavy gauge (4 ga?) from the fuse box to the starter. Is that in place?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Geimers1Feb-10-11 05:51 PM
20 posts,
#8702, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 6

ok so im going to replace the wire with 10guage and put a relay does it need to go to the power on the starter or the solenoid also i cut the old parks nature switch and sodered it to the pin useing the the red wire and the black with white stripe then i was also reading on there that there was two black wire with yellow stripe the needed to be ground so i cut that and ground them was i supose to do that?

AdministratorCODE4Feb-10-11 05:54 PM
2552 posts,
#8704, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 7
Feb-10-11 05:55 PM by CODE4

ok so im going to replace the wire with 10guage and put a relay does it need to go to the power on the starter or the solenoid also i cut the old parks nature switch and sodered it to the pin useing the the red wire and the black with white stripe then i was also reading on there that there was two black wire with yellow stripe the needed to be ground so i cut that and ground them was i supose to do that?

I am not going to attempt to decipher that run-on sentence. Please use spell check as well.

You can use a relay, I feel it is safer. But since you have a high current switch and will use capable wire, it will work.

You must fuse high current circuits or you are playing with fire. I am not going to say this again.

If you are running a dedicated switch and power wire to the starter, any safety wiring dealing with the clutch or park/neutral safety switch is bypassed. I am not sure why you are bothering with it.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Geimers1Feb-10-11 05:53 PM
20 posts,
#8703, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 6

i dont have a wire that goes from the fuse box to the starter

Geimers1Feb-10-11 05:58 PM
20 posts,
#8705, "RE: 5spd man swap having trouble with starter"
In response to Reply # 8

i did the atmt sawp and im trying to get my car to start it wont do anything

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8695 Previous topic | Next topic