Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5199
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Dayum!" Previous topic | Next topic
RAIZINMay-19-01 12:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
775 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5211, "RE: Dayum!"
In response to In response to 11

The fuck is up with me cracking a cam is because when I installed my regrinds the first time I put one of the bearing caps on backwards. That was back in '95 and back then is when I bought a brand new head and had it ported out along with all the top end works such as ported/port matched intake plenum and so on and so on. So now you know.

I still can't understand why you guys don't understand what detonation is. With our engines.. you can never really tell just by listening to it if it's detonating or not. Detonation is the same thing as pinging or knocking. With turbo.. you're detonating all the time.. especially at top end rpm's, and yes it's because of the stock timing advance. Wyatt would have never even known he was detonating if he didn't see the loss in power and sudden rise in his EGT at high rpm if he didn't take it to the dyno. Little do most of you guys know that you ARE detonating.. it's just a matter of time before your stock internals give way. The JE's are more succeptable to detonation.. which is why they are recommended. They come with a lower compression to minimize but not eliminate detonation. Intercooling also reduces but not eliminates detonation. Hot/dense air causes detonation, detonation causes heat, and heat cracks and melts shit. When you think about detonation.. you seem to be under the impression that it's something like a single boom from a bomb. It's more like a period of time when your combustion is booming like a bomb due to pre-ignition. Remember that on the simpsons when Homer first introduced Barney to alchohol in college? The first drink made is face wrinkle up.. and with more drinks he gradually became this fat, janky broken down wilderbeast of a character. This is what is happening to your stock internals when you have improper tuning such as excessively advanced timing, hot intake charge, too big of a gap in your spark plugs, low octane fuel usage, lean air fuel mixture etc etc. And don't think if you do have the upgraded internals you won't be prone to the same death of an engine by the same means. The billet rods will help keep the engine together .. but the all important turbo application pistons will only allow room for error for a longer period of time versus stock mahle pistons. All these components and variables will differ according to application such as nitrous, high compression, and turbocharging.. but they all have similar precautions that entail the minimization but not entire elimination of detonation. I have yet to see a high performance car that does not ever detonate. So you stage one turbo owners with stock bottom ends.. although the turbo gives your car more spunk through everyday driving.. in my personal opinion.. stage one is not meant for racing.. not just yet. So upgrade your sheeit!!!!! I don't want to see this list get longer and longer. I can afford to blow my shit up because I'm backed by my sponsors.

Check out my crew at www.935draggers.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

How many blown engines here? Statistics time! [View all] , RS_Guy, May-17-01 12:50 PM
  RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, TeamStan2gnt, May-17-01 01:06 PM, #1
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, RS_Guy, May-17-01 01:20 PM, #2
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, 99GSBBTurbo, May-17-01 02:29 PM, #3
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, E_ME_2, May-17-01 03:13 PM, #4
      RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, sleepereclipse, May-17-01 03:47 PM, #5
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, MWC, May-18-01 02:20 AM, #6
RE: How many blown engines here? Statistics time!, RAIZIN, May-18-01 06:16 AM, #7
Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-18-01 09:55 AM, #8
RE: Dayum!, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-19-01 02:45 AM, #9
      RE: Dayum!, MWC, May-19-01 03:05 AM, #10
           RE: Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-19-01 11:05 AM, #11
                RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:04 PM #12
                     RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:11 PM, #13
                     RE: Dayum!, RS_Guy, May-19-01 12:19 PM, #14
                          RE: Dayum!, RAIZIN, May-19-01 12:54 PM, #15
                     RE: Dayum!, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-19-01 05:58 PM, #16
                          RE: Dayum!, cyan, May-19-01 06:29 PM, #17
                               RE: Dayum!, rsXboy99, May-20-01 06:24 AM, #18
                                    timing retard, 95ESi, May-20-01 04:55 PM, #19
                                         RE: timing retard, sleepereclipse, May-21-01 12:13 PM, #20
                                         RE: timing retard, DAVE_FL (Guest), May-21-01 02:15 PM, #21
                                              RE: timing retard, Jason 95 GS Turbo, May-21-01 04:40 PM, #22

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #5199 Previous topic | Next topic