Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #60768
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help" Previous topic | Next topic
ChamukoNov-24-05 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#94742, "RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help"
In response to In response to 6
Nov-24-05 09:27 AM by Chamuko

edit : blah, how do you split up a quote? eh ill just bold it.

First off, keep it civil guys.

Fullmoon, Im sorry man, truth is you got burned and are taking it the wrong way. Most of what you say is true, Im an SAE member and have talked with the chrysler engineer who made the new charger, it was the bean counters(accountants) not engineers who took out the SC. As for the cobalt, its a joke sorry. Hence why Gm just closed 9 plants and laid of 30K workers. Their technology is so far behind its not even funny at times.

As for the car, I got mine when I was 16 in 98-99 for 5k and 16k miles on it.

Sorry about that I was tired when I typed it did not look at the date I guess I'm getting to be an old trucker still even though the post is old I hope/prey it will help the next guy should he think about California and or buying/modding a GS in that state I don't wanna see another person get hurt like I did And to answer your question Nope I'm serious as a heart sugery...dead serious!!! And yes I did get taken for a ride and pushed out the suicide door at 150mph and so I got more "drive shaft" than I could handle on my first date. The 420a is very tempermental when it comes to modification in the State of California and you may get approximately 150whp max of course give or take a few ponies.

That so? Sorry dude, Im in the Los angeles Area I can show you some neons with 180hp and pass smog w/o a hitch.

I spoke to a guy in the riverside area out here California with a dyno shop and he told me from his hands on tunning of this car I would be better off just getting rid of it for different and or new car if I wanna go really fast and stay legal in that State.

I would agree, This car was not meant to be the flagship. Sonds to me like your the type that should get another car. Easier and less of a headache for ya.

(Also had a dealer tell me not to buy an 06 Eclipse instead buy a Evo if I wanted to go really fast...I had to scratch me head on that one!!!)

Really? why? evo is designed with AWD has nice brakes and nice power.
The new eclipse again is not their top of the line car. Oh and the evo gets em a pretty penny.

The 420a without boost is not a good engine to go fast as say a GS-T or anywhere near that class and the dealers and Mitsubishi knows it

Yeah they know it, mitsu made em. But sorry again This is the old 4g63 vs 420a debate. Its apples and oranges. Look at the 2.4L turbocharged chrysler then yor getting closer.

and they have lost a lot and I mean a lot of customers in the California area in terms of future sales, which is why you see the comments they make to the press "The new eclipse is aimed at a new market" (My translation/understanding)..."We are looking for people who don't know about our past"

Their "past" and present views on customers is what they meant to say. Poor products in terms of reliability and they take no action with Proven problems unless they are required by law ( danger to the public, i.e. ball joints failing on the highway).
Add to that bad warranties, asshole dealers and 70bucks an hour to tell you a bulb is out.

and get this the only improvents they made to the eclipse was a knock off version of the V-Tec what a pathetic joke!!!

MIVEC has been around for a while and is a bit different then v-tec. All in all mitsu was making japanese Zeros while honda was making bikes with a 2stroke single cylinder.

...(However let me say this the car insurance industry drives the auto industry so they had to find a way to make a two door go fast without the turbo I might have done the same if I owned or were a GM of an auto giant). I was sooo mad I cried and it still hits me in the heart from time to time but as you can see what goes around comes around with the financial problems Mitsubishi has been having lately it's only a matter of time before Blub Blub Blub under they go!!!.

Ah you understand economics! this is true for all companies. Why do you think the new z06 has a huge engine rather then a more advanced one? The new charger got a bigger displacement hemi rather then a SC. the list goes on and on...

The 420a will not give you a good return for the money you invest in you'll spend several thousands to get mabey 50whp I saw on a another site one guy got approx 142-147whp with all bolt ons.

Several thousands for 50 hp? ouch your getting worked hard if you do. Now if you meant that N/A , then yea, but still you will be above 190hp I hope. Then again those arnt bolt ons. 142-147? hp with bolt ons? thats sad, but then again this is a 140bhp car. Its also a result of maintenance and tolerances from the assembly plant.

I have been thinking of the Cobalt SS but lately my hands have been hurting from driving coast to coast for so long trying to pay on this heap and I really hafta ask myself if I can handle another 48-60 months of having a bank with a knife to my throat my only answer is no

Do what you feel is best for you. I have never bought a car from the dealer, they simply rip you off IMO. As for the chevy, go test drive it. I personally think its an ok price but still has that cheap plastic feel of a cavi.

so I may just try to hurry pay it off and buy some property and let my money work for me so I can back off driving so darn much and get my new car that way, I have also thought about moving to Texas to put my plan into action and take my car with me that way I don't hafta deal with the California Smog Terrorist. See in Texas the law-makers are not like the California law-makers you can add a turbo etc but as long as it don't put out tooo much smog they don't hassle ya...God Bless Texas!!! The Visual is a problem in this state as well, If it does not have a CARB (California Air Resources Board) Approved sticker on that Modification on the part you add they fail you and you must take it off then retest again.

yeah thats cali for you, live with it or find ways to cope.

I like the looks of the eclipse and the name sounds cool too but the eclipse RS/GS was not made to go fast that way they did not make some guy mad who just bought a GS-T so they made them to stay two steps behind the GS-T and in my opinion they hid behind the law to acheive their goal in California, I beleive the could have made it a much better cleaner motor but they needed profits and the GS-T was the goose that laid the golden egg so they did not wanna make scrambeled eggs out of such gold.

again touching on this, it was DSM. You had the money you got the car you wanted. The Gs and RS where or rather are econoboxes. So what engine did chrysler have that was pretty decent? the 420A. What would mitsu have stuck in there? probably a nt 4g63. simple numbers again, they didnt want to spend more then they had to.

(Get this the new GM Cobalt SS Non Super Charged can be upgraded later in the State of California with a factory Super Charge kit at the dealer with Gurantee! And hahn is woking on a turbo kit you can add too don't know if hahn will be Calif. legal tho?) Natural asperation will probably get you down the 1/4 mile track in approximatly 15.50-16.50 seconds and may give you a 7.25 0-60 times nothing to write home about.

Yeah and cost you how much ? plus install at a certified dealer for how much? and it will still change some things on your warranty, guaranteed.

Hahn will not make it carb exempt, it will cost them 10k just to get it looked at the first time, money that I doubt they will want to fork out.

Trust me I have been thinking about putting up a website to let people know of the pitfalls of buyin a "Slooo Polk'n" car to make go fast yep that's right there are other cars out there that have the same problem in California so don't think I'm picking on these guys because they got 27,161.52 (17,390.00 for the car alone) from me and did not tell me I could not put a turbo on it in California even though I told the dealer my plans to do so in the future, I'm sure other dealers do the same every day to guys like us it's just so happen I bought a Mitsubishi so that's how I just so happen to found out.

Then thats just ebcause you like many before you didnt do their hw and just ASSUMED. ignorance is bliss, you found out and that ruined your view on dealers? dealers are dealers, as soon as you drive it off the lot or sign those papers, they give a rats ass what you do so long as they are not responsible and dont have to pay for it.

I probably would buy an 06 GT it does come with better hp but if the price was not so high, by one stock persons est. the stock or as I would say the cars are over priced by 18%!!! (Which probably why Chrysler dumped em) so that is one other reason I am staying away from any new Mitsubishis (Just my opinion).
yeah, poor sales thats why they got dumped. Who is chrysler working with? hyundai.Who would you want to work with? a partner thats a crackaddict and is going down hill or the new guy thats making it up the ladder at a pretty good pace?

Also I must add this word of warning: "When Californicate sneezes the rest of the country catches a cold" so watch your lawmakers like a hawk and make sure they are shown the front door when they catch a cold and tell em you don't wanna get sick in the head like him!!! And if the guy or guys that own this website wanna see my Contract I'll be only to glade to mail them a copy or bring it to them personally so they can post it on the site I'll even put my hand on the Bible and or take a lie detector test! Need any more n4 you know where I'll be over here with Contract still in hand paying on a car that was never ment to be all it could be. "Let the buyer beware lest thee find thy self behind a rock and a hard place"

We dont need to see your contract some of the guys here are still paying off their cars and have similar debt. They too have been given the shoulder by mitsu.

About Cali, yeah they lead in a lot of things. From emissions to building regulations. Its nothing but politics and money. I know that the only reason hydrogen tanks have not been aproved for cars yet is because the makers pissed off the DOT by saying that they would pass their tests w/o a hitch ( they passed germanys which are way stricter). So what is the DOT doing? not even testing their things...
I have seen those tanks take a direct hit from a .50 cal. without busting.

To each his own. Its great that your expressing your opinion, but thats all it is. Even with some facts, its just your experience. I just dont want everyone out there to think that things are that bad. I Also dont want them to think its an easy thing, your either in it because you like it or for someother reason. Yes there are WAY better cars with better potential. The good thing about things like this is that it weeds out those that shouldnt be doing this.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

horse power in cal smog sucks please help [View all] , mars9er, Oct-05-03 07:24 PM
  RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Clay, Oct-05-03 08:05 PM, #1
RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, CVedEclipse, Oct-06-03 01:34 PM, #2
RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-23-05 05:03 PM, #3
RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, bokchoi, Nov-23-05 05:14 PM, #4
      RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Chamuko, Nov-23-05 07:14 PM, #5
           RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 03:39 AM, #6
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, reeveso, Nov-24-05 04:20 AM, #7
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, BlackMagic, Nov-24-05 06:34 AM, #8
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 11:40 AM, #11
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, totaleclipse_05, Nov-24-05 06:53 AM, #9
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 12:12 PM, #14
                RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Chamuko, Nov-24-05 09:16 AM #10
                     RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, BlackMagic, Nov-24-05 11:55 AM, #12
                     RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 11:59 AM, #13
                     RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Chamuko, Nov-24-05 07:21 PM, #17
                     RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 12:31 PM, #15
                     RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-24-05 12:55 PM, #16
                          RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Chamuko, Nov-24-05 07:24 PM, #18
                               RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Nov-27-05 09:16 PM, #19
                                    RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, InFiNiT3, Nov-29-05 11:28 PM, #20
                                         RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, InFiNiT3, Nov-29-05 11:29 PM, #21
                                              RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, Chamuko, Nov-30-05 06:55 AM, #22
                                                   RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, reeveso, Dec-03-05 06:49 PM, #23
                                                        RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, 96rs-t, Dec-03-05 08:34 PM, #24
                                                        RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, ez, Dec-07-05 01:01 PM, #25
                                                        RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Dec-08-05 03:10 AM, #26
                                                             RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, TeamDR1665, Dec-08-05 04:40 AM, #27
                                                                  RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Dec-09-05 03:51 AM, #28
                                                                       RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, eclipse_99rs, Dec-10-05 03:57 AM, #29
                                                                            RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Dec-10-05 04:44 AM, #30
                                                                                 RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, HadesOmega, Dec-19-05 09:50 PM, #31
                                                                                      RE: horse power in cal smog sucks please help, fullmoon, Dec-30-05 06:21 AM, #32

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #60768 Previous topic | Next topic