Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138654
View in linear mode

Subject: "Runaway & Sticky Idle" Previous topic | Next topic
JNov-16-15 08:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138654, "Runaway & Sticky Idle"

I've got a problem, in that if I drive normally or even breathe on the throttle... that my rpm's like to stick at the high rpm, or even climb to ~4k rpm's. A quick tap on the gas peddle usually brings the rpm's back down. It's getting incredibly annoying though, and am basically tapping every time I let off the gas. To others, it just sounds like I'm revving my noisy exhaust for fun (which I'm not).

What I've replaced:
MAP Sensor, TPS Sensor, IAC Valve, PCV Valve, Throttle Body Gasket, Upstream O2 Sensor

I've also sprayed down all my vacuum lines/connections/etc and intake manifold/runners w/ carb cleaner... found a small leak @ MAP sensor, but that was it. I also cleaned the throttle body when I replaced the TPS/IAC (just normal dirt).

CEL codes:
Too rich (expected)
rpm's not within +/- 200rpms (P1294) <<< My problem
Evap leak (small)
Evap leak (gross >> every so often)
^^^^ I assume these are because I'm turbo and have a ripped diaphragm (am a 1997 btw)

Torque Android App:
Says my throttle is at ~13% at idle, and shows ~50% throttle when I'm wide open... I'm going to check the butterfly that it is indeed open all of the way, but I'm thinking I may have a wiring issue (as it has spanned 2x TPS sensors). The throttle cable itself is not sticking at all, and I've left a tiny bit of slack. Also, this car hasn't had an EGR in a decade (no hot pipe). Torque is also showing that my coolant temp is exactly where it should be, so I'm assuming I have no coolant sensor funkiness.

Any ideas?
I'm getting frustrated :'(
- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Runaway & Sticky Idle [View all] , J, Nov-16-15 08:10 AM
  RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, J, Nov-16-15 11:07 PM, #1
RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, ez, Nov-17-15 09:23 PM, #2
      RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, J, Nov-18-15 05:34 PM, #3

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138654 Previous topic | Next topic