Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138654
View in linear mode

Subject: "RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle" Previous topic | Next topic
JNov-18-15 05:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#138657, "RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle"
In response to In response to 2

Well I found the issue: my MP60 throttle body's pulley is 'wobbly' and no longer opens and closes the butterfly in unison....

Meaning, you pull back on the throttle and it takes a 1/4" turn before butterfly moves open... you let off the throttle, and it (may) take 1/4" turn before the butterfly moves closed. And so what's been happening is the butterfly has had the 1/4" turn of play, to where it may not open completely AND (more importantly) it may not close completely. Tapping the throttle jolts the plate back in line w/ the pulley.

Was a royal pain in arse to discover, because at first blush it looks like it works absolutely perfect... until you try and shake the pulley. You can see the lock nut jiggling around left and right on side of plastic pulley. Unfortunately for me, it was probably impossible to tell this was happening until it got bad enough for me to see.

....SOoooooooo, I put a factory TB back on w/ a short cry as my "RAW POWER" is noticeably diminished with this factory puniness. BUT my sob quickly ended when I spun it around the block to find my suffering was finally over.

As I couldn't get a socket around the lock nut due to the itty bitty clearance in the side of the pulley... I called Modern Performance, and asked them if it would easily pull apart to see what all is happening. They also said that I could send it in to them as they should have some spare parts lying around to get it back into shape (which may very well be the thing to do if the pulley/etc is too far gone).

My S20G-H is begging for more air, but it hasn't driven this good in quite a while!!!

P.S.
Even fixed, Torque on Android is reporting TPS of ~10% @ idle and ~50% at WOT... so I'm not sure if I can trust the reading without checking a voltmeter.

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Runaway & Sticky Idle [View all] , J, Nov-16-15 08:10 AM
  RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, J, Nov-16-15 11:07 PM, #1
RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, ez, Nov-17-15 09:23 PM, #2
      RE: Runaway & Sticky Idle, J, Nov-18-15 05:34 PM #3

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #138654 Previous topic | Next topic