Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #94831
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manifolds and turbos" Previous topic | Next topic
1997TalonNTMay-03-06 03:54 PM
Member since May 03rd 2006
5 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#94831, "Manifolds and turbos"

Im new at the whole DSM world, i got into it from my buddy, i just purchased a 97 talon, i went to Thestreetsource.net to find a manifold for my car, they have an eclipse one can i use that on my talon and can i throw any turbo on there? preferably a T3/T4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Manifolds and turbos, 97eclipse97, May-03-06 10:46 AM, #1
RE: Manifolds and turbos, 1997TalonNT, May-03-06 10:59 AM, #2
      RE: Manifolds and turbos, blake, May-03-06 11:33 AM, #3
      RE: Manifolds and turbos, 1997TalonNT, May-03-06 11:41 AM, #4
      RE: Manifolds and turbos, 97eclipse97, May-03-06 12:08 PM, #5
           RE: Manifolds and turbos, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-03-06 12:38 PM, #6
                RE: Manifolds and turbos, 1997TalonNT, May-03-06 01:03 PM, #7
                     RE: Manifolds and turbos, GSGoinFast, May-03-06 01:12 PM, #8
                     RE: Manifolds and turbos, 1997TalonNT, May-03-06 01:20 PM, #10
                          RE: Manifolds and turbos, Moderatorcs82685, May-03-06 02:56 PM, #11
                               RE: Manifolds and turbos, Teamner947, May-03-06 03:50 PM, #13
                     RE: Manifolds and turbos, 420a-Tnthewerks, May-03-06 01:13 PM, #9
                          RE: Manifolds and turbos, chronicshit, May-03-06 03:06 PM, #12

97eclipse97May-03-06 10:46 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#94832, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 0

There are no differences between Eclipses and Talons besides the exterior (and Eclipses usually come with more options). Please use the search function. Read through all of these: http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=20

You will find you have no where near enough knowlege to put any old turbo on your car. Have fun reading

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1997TalonNTMay-03-06 10:59 AM
5 posts,
#94835, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, i have a pretty good idea what im doing with help from my buddy(mitsubishi eclipse GSX owner) and my mechanic(who has 3 talon tsi awd himself) i can make it happen im just piecing a kit toghether for now, but with manifolds in relation to turbos do you need specific manifolds for specific turbos, or as long as i have a turbo manifold any turbo will fit with it.... sorry if any questions seem stupid im just trying to get any info i can before i talk to people and make myself look like an ass because i said something wrong

blakeMay-03-06 11:33 AM
Member since Feb 13th 2006
36 posts,
#94836, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 2

you jus gotta make sure the flange is right one...for instence(sp?) all mitsubishi turbos use the same flange...just mak sure it fits right

Blake

1997TalonNTMay-03-06 11:41 AM
5 posts,
#94837, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 3

thanks, thats the answer i was looking for

97eclipse97May-03-06 12:08 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#94838, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 1997TalonNT
sorry if any questions seem stupid im just trying to get any info i can before i talk to people and make myself look like an ass because i said something wrong

Well, like I said, you need to do a lot of research. The questions you asked were most likely obvious to 95% of the people on this board. You can not just piece together a turbo kit if you have no idea of what does what. Besides, saying you have friends with 4g63's does not help that much. They can help bolt a turbo to your car, but I doubt they know all of the 420A specifics necessary to have a running turbo 420A. This is probably the best site for what you are trying to do. Now you need to actually use it. I suggest before you ask any more questions, you read as much as you can as to the specifics of turboing your car. Then, if you have any more questions, and you have searched and did not find the answer (not likely), then come back and ask questions. But I can almost guarantee that all of the questions you will have have already been answered more than once on this site.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

420a-TnthewerksMay-03-06 12:38 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#94840, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 5
May-03-06 12:48 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Just looked at the site.. it says "Combine this manifold with out Turbos and make yourself a very nice kit." So I looked at their turbo's for sale and saw they have a "T3/T4" turbo, so yes, I'd assume you can use that manifold for your preffered T3/T4.

1997TalonNTMay-03-06 01:03 PM
5 posts,
#94841, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 6
May-03-06 01:06 PM by 1997TalonNT

its for the 420a non turbos, i am aware their car's engines are completely different im not postive on the exact differences except their cars come turbo and have AWD instead of FWD, our non turbos are based on the chrysler 420a while the turbos are based on the mitsubishi 4g63 engine, belive me u guys are far superior when it comes to knowledge of the 420a compared to me, i only know bits and pieces and will continue research to get up to speed.........in terms of what turbos i can use with the manifold i plan on contacting the site and asking what i can exactly use on their manifold

GSGoinFastMay-03-06 01:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
822 posts,
#94842, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 7

http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181134

That should give you some more insight on turboing our cars.

-Chris
1999 Eclipse T-GS

2.4 Project is Officially underway

1997TalonNTMay-03-06 01:20 PM
5 posts,
#94844, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 8

"And if you were to buy a Star or Hahn kit you would just end up replacing most of the parts anyway."

^im just curious on why that is

Moderatorcs82685May-03-06 02:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#94846, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 10
May-03-06 03:00 PM by cs82685

"And if you were to buy a Star or Hahn kit you would just end up replacing most of the parts anyway." ^im just curious on why that is

hahns fuel system = shit stars somethin else = shit, there's an old thread somewhere comparing the positives and negatives of both, I found that very helpful when deciding what I wanted, you can search for star hahn and probably find it, I'll do a quick search and see if I can find it.

here ya go this is a great comparison:
Originally posted by siueclipse
Star Performance Turbo Kit - By Jeff Pros The Turbo: Star uses a Turbonetics designed T3/T4 turbocharger with optional trims and a ball bearing option. This turbo is great for 350, 400 or more horsepower. With the ball bearing option (which tacks on another $500 to the price of the turbo mind you), turbo lag is almost none existant. The Pipes: Star pipes are chrome plated for looks and style. The Intercooler: Using a Spearco core and custom end tanks, the Star FMIC (you get the FMIC with stage two) will support 400whp. Fuel Pressure Riser: Star uses the Vortech FMU. Enought said, when it comes from Votech you know it's good. Wastegate: External wastegate is more relilable and better for controlling boost spikes and flow. Cons The Instructions: They really don't have a set of instructions. They are only a couple pages long. The install itself is really for experienced people. The Manifold: I would have rather seen Star sell this kit with at least an euqal length runner manifold. The Bov: The kit comes with what I consider a stock 1g bov, however it's more or less a simply HKS generic Bov. All in all I have to say I like this kit. Then again I'm not new to turbo's and turbo systems and know how to make this work. Star dosen't have the support that HRC offers which I don't like. None the less if you want a turbo system and have an idea of where you want to go with it, and know how to get there as well, the Star kit may be for you. Either way, both kits are awesome, and either way you're going turbo. It's really up to you to decide. Here is the Star kit www.raceprep.net HAHN Racecraft Turbo Kit - By James Pros HAHN has several stages of kits. You can start off with a stage 1 kit and work your way up, or jump in with a stage 3 kit. Its up to you. If you want to know about what comes with each kit, check out www.hahnracecraft.com. I bought the stage 2 kit which comes with an FMIC, 16G turbo, black polished intercooler pipping, 300gt blow off valve, cast iron exhaust manifold, external inline fuel pump, and a Cartech fuel pressure regulator. There are other things that come with the stage 2 kit, but those are the big ones. The Turbo; The 16G turbo does spool faster than the STAR’s T3/T4. However, the STAR T3/T4 can create a bit more horsepower at top end. Furthermore, the STAR T3/T4 has a larger horsepower potential than the 16G. I personally like the 16G better because of the company backing the turbo. If you like to autocross or drag, the 16G is a very good turbo for both. The STAR turbo might take too long to spool when autocrossing. The Intercooler; The intercooler HAHN uses is huge. Its deeper and taller than the STAR intercooler. Its worth the extra money for an upgrade in the stage 2 kit. There are some cons for this listed below though.. About the company; The main reason why I purchased a HAHN kit was because of the company backing the turbo kit. HAHN has tested and tested their kits and is constantly updating them for the better. I enjoy being able to call and talk to technical support when I have a simple question to a 45 minute discussion about something dealing with the kit. I enjoy the fact that they know what they are talking about when it comes to my car and the potential it has. The Directions; Damn, ok here is another deciding point for me. The directions that come with the HAHN kit are about 30 pages long, unlike the STAR’s kit which is no more than 1 page long. Not to mention the fact that I can call technical support during the installation to ask questions. Cons The Directions; Granted the directions are very detailed, however they can be somewhat hard to follow at times. It only really happens when you are dealing with the fuel installation instructions. The Cartech Fuel Pressure Regulator; I’ve noticed that this fuel pressure regulator starts dropping fuel pressure after many runs at the track (about 10 straight runs without a cool off period). You shouldn’t do 10 straight runs without cooling off. So if you don’t drive your car like an idiot, you’ll be fine and never see it happen. Remember that when you race, do a run, let the car sit for about 30 to 45 minutes and run again. You need to allow cool off time. (I know the consequences if you don't and its not pretty) Some people say that the Cartech FMU drops pressure more often then just at the track. I personally haven't seen it except for at the track. Furthermore, the Cartech FMU sucks when you are going with bigger injectors. Its just not setup to handle the larger injectors.. Basically, you will run way too much fuel and be unable to control fuel pressure under boost. Im about to find out if switching to the Vortech FMU fixes this problem. I will report back then. The Price; Like I said before the HAHN kit does cost more, however I feel that the HAHN kit is worth the money. This is going to sound odd, but I have a sense of security with the turbo kit, which is something I didn’t have with the STAR kit. Injectors; HAHN says you can run with stock injectors for up to Stage 2, however, I feel that larger injectors are needed. My car was running too lean and I actually cracked one of my injectors because of the enourmous amount of fuel pressure HAHN has you run. I pu in 310cc injectors which is now making me run rich, but rich is ok. If you change the injectors, get a vortech FMU as well and replace the Cartech FMU. The FMIC; The FMIC is very big and nice, however many people have to cut their bump stop out a little in order for it to fit. You must also cut the inside of the front bumper to allow for the room. Its not that big of a deal but worth mentioning. I haven’t noticed many cons with the HAHN kit besides those mentioned. I would like to see the HAHN kit come with some more gauges and a better BOV, but all in all, Im very happy. Inevitably, which kit you choose is completely up to you. Hopefully this will help you in deciding which one to go with. Both kits are very good.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Teamner947May-03-06 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#94849, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 11
May-03-06 03:55 PM by ner947

Originally posted by cs82685
hahns fuel system = shit stars somethin else = shit

"shit" is a little harsh, "cheap in order to encourage the customer to buy a better setup and keep down the cost of the original kit" is a better way to put it.

Originally posted by siueclipse

Whenever I see that I usually skip the rest of the text that follows...

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

420a-TnthewerksMay-03-06 01:13 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#94843, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 7

its for the 420a non turbos, i am aware their car's engines are completely different im not postive on the exact differences except their cars come turbo and have AWD instead of FWD, our non turbos are based on the chrysler 420a while the turbos are based on the mitsubishi 4g63 engine, belive me u guys are far superior when it comes to knowledge of the 420a compared to me, i only know bits and pieces and will continue research to get up to speed

Yeah, I edited awhile ago ^^

in terms of what turbos i can use with the manifold i plan on contacting the site and asking what i can exactly use on their manifold

Good idea.

chronicshitMay-03-06 03:06 PM
Member since Feb 18th 2006
254 posts,
#94847, "RE: Manifolds and turbos"
In response to Reply # 9

first off hahn kit is just a waste of money. the fpr that comes with it is total crap so you will end up spending somewhere around $200 for a vortech sfmu. also comes with rubber fuel lines which u will change to ss. turbo you will eventually change if you plan on boosting more, however their manifolds are one of the best. intercooler and piping is very good too.. honestly with the $3500 ur gona spend on a hahn kit you can put together a much much better kit with all the best brand name parts and alot of extras . unless ofcourse u dont feel like doing as much research and just want to buy a kit and have your mechanic install, i'd go with the star. but your gona have to find someone who already has one for sale because star stopped making those kits a long time ago i think. or you could always offer someone on this website $3500 to put together a kit for you, im sure no one would turn down an offer like that
if you plan on doing some research use the search button and if you can't find what your looking for, change the "search which fields" to subject only. <-- trust me this is very useful and will save you alot of time.

Top 2GNT Technical Turbo/Nitrous Tech topic #94831 Previous topic | Next topic